• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Ron Paul

Achilles

That dog won't hunt, Monsignor!
pilot
I'm not a big fan of Ron Paul for several reasons. First and foremost is his economic stance. Ron Paul wants to get rid of the Federal Reserve, which serves an extremely important purpose. Also he advocates pegging the US currency back to gold. Gold standards only work if you have a large amount of countries willing to adopt a gold standard, not just one country. Also the floating currency has worked extremely well since the gold standard was dropped in the 70's so I don't see a good reason to change. Not to mention floating currency exchange rates allow for easier and smoother market adjustments. Now before everyone goes and comments on how the US dollar has continued to depreciate, let's remember that a weaker dollar means US exports are more competitive abroad because they're cheaper. So there are pros and cons to currency depreciation.

I also can't agree with Ron Paul's policy on isolationalism. For better or worse the US has become one of the world's sheriffs. A good read for anyone interested is a book called "The Reluctant Sheriff".

Given all this I've got to give my vote for McCain, I like his honesty and policies. Reading his autobiography was one of the reasons I decided that I want to join the Navy. As to the comment that Ron Paul has the most donations from active duty soldiers, a counter to that is that fact that McCain has support from over 100 Generals and Admirals. There are a lot of stars on that list.

blur

A-pool
- slashing military spending by 80%

Sorry, I may have missed it, but did you cite this anywhere?

- withdrawal from Europe, Korea, and Japan

Is this really such a bad idea? I don't know if I'm against this anymore to be honest. I used to be, but it starts to make more and more sense the more I think about it. Why are we still in Europe? I could give two shits about helping their economy and on the flipside all I see is it helping ours plus billions of taxpayer dollars saved. The only argument left is strategic advantage, but the Iron Curtain no longer exist. We've got mobile sovereign U.S. territory on the high seas. Let the hippies build up their own defenses!

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor

Is this really such a bad idea? I don't know if I'm against this anymore to be honest. I used to be, but it starts to make more and more sense the more I think about it. Why are we still in Europe? I could give two shits about helping their economy and on the flipside all I see is it helping ours plus billions of taxpayer dollars saved. The only argument left is strategic advantage, but the Iron Curtain no longer exist. We've got mobile sovereign U.S. territory on the high seas. Let the hippies build up their own defenses!
Please for the love of God read up about Vladimir Putin and his Weimar Russia, The US leaving Europe would be equivalent to seeding Europe to his revanchist policies...

Also Conservatives and Libertarians United Against Ron Paul

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor
I've looked at all of the candidates websites and got their campaign promises/self promotion propaganda.

Can anybody reccomend a good site for non-hyperbolic and reasonable comparision of the candidates? Perhaps a site without some irrational bias? In other words, not the New York Times, NRA, RNC, DNC,websites etc.

Here is a site that is pretty useful. It doesn't necessarily give opinions one way or the other, but rather compiles information about the candidates. Just click on the 2008 Presidential Candidates button.

http://www.npr.org/templates/topics/topic.php?topicId=1102

blur

A-pool
Please for the love of God read up about Vladimir Putin and his Weimar Russia, The US leaving Europe would be equivalent to seeding Europe to his revanchist policies...

I think that is a bit extreme...Russia is in no position economically, socially, or militarily to sustain a large military expedition in the near future. They definitely have the potential, but they have a lot of problems to iron out before they can even begin to think of starting something. Somebody to keep an eye on? Yes, of course; we should always have our eyes open.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
I'm not a big fan of Ron Paul for several reasons. First and foremost is his economic stance. Ron Paul wants to get rid of the Federal Reserve, which serves an extremely important purpose. Also he advocates pegging the US currency back to gold. Gold standards only work if you have a large amount of countries willing to adopt a gold standard, not just one country. Also the floating currency has worked extremely well since the gold standard was dropped in the 70's so I don't see a good reason to change. Not to mention floating currency exchange rates allow for easier and smoother market adjustments. Now before everyone goes and comments on how the US dollar has continued to depreciate, let's remember that a weaker dollar means US exports are more competitive abroad because they're cheaper. So there are pros and cons to currency depreciation.

WOW. I can only submit the following in response. http://www.earthfiles.com/news.php?ID=1364&category=Environment

The dollar is currenly worth about 4 cents of what is was worth when the Fed took control. I dont think that's very good for the middle class. You can also thank the Fed for the impending crisis regarding the Subprime housing market. Pumping half a trillion dollars into the economy does wonders for inflation.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
kucinich.jpg
I got this guy. Didnt even know he was running. Great site. I read up on most of the issues.
:eek:
That explains a lot ... ;)

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor

He talks all the freaking time about cutting military spending. He intends to solve the "spread thin" problem by bringing everybody home.

http://www.321gold.com/editorials/taylor/taylor031706.html
CONGRESSMAN PAUL: It's the respect for liberty that is the problem. We don't have enough respect or understanding or confidence in liberty. That is the real problem. To cut back on government, you have to have the people understand the issue of liberty. So, my biggest goal has been in the area of education, as well as this little political effort I am involved in. But oh, I guess I would get rid of the Federal Reserve, get rid of the IRS, bring our troops home, and cut down to only about 20% of what we are spending on the military - those things would bring about a tremendous boom in this country, but it is just not going to happen.

You won't have overwhelming force at 20%. You'll have the military of the 1930's.

Tell that to any wounded servicemember who's been treated at Landstuhl. Our bases in Europe enhance our logistical reach to the messy part(s) of the world. Our prepositioned stocks in Norway were used to support OIF.

No comments on the Letters of Marque and Reprisal?

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
Letter of Marque and Reprisal.. Old school technique for a foe stuck in the middle ages (but with modern weapons)

Seizing ships on the high seas isn't quite the same as running around in sovereign nations with your own private army.

blur

A-pool
You won't have overwhelming force at 20%. You'll have the military of the 1930's.

Thanks...ya that's interesting...I don't take that as anything official though. Nor do I think that he could get anything near that passed through Congress, ahh the beauty of checks and balances. But interesting none the less. Nice find.

Tell that to any wounded servicemember who's been treated at Landstuhl. Our bases in Europe enhance our logistical reach to the messy part(s) of the world. Our prepositioned stocks in Norway were used to support OIF.

Having a base that close for medical reasons might be nice, but I don't think it is anything necessary. We could set something up more temporary elsewhere, probably closer, that could stabilize the patient long enough to get them back on U.S. soil. We have those in Iraq already. Hell, we can probably have flying hospitals.

No comments on the substance of my quote? ;)

No comments on the Letters of Marque and Reprisal?

Honestly, that is the first time I've even heard the term. But what I gathered from a quick search (http://www.progress.org/fold232.htm), you are meaning pretty much bounty hunters, yes? So basically this guy:

ap_bounty_hunter_070525_ms.jpg

Sounds like it might work!

I'll admit the idea seems a little...medieval...but the Constitution explicitly allows it so I'm guessing that is why Ron Paul supports it. But really, I don't see this as a big issue. :confused:

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None
I joined a service whose raison d'etre is expeditionary warfare.

Can you point out to me in the Commissioning oath where it says that? I'm having trouble finding it.

The part I seem to vaguely remember is something about the Constitution.

The mission of the AF when I joined was to "conduct prompt and sustaned combat operations in the air". I was never under the impression that I had to desire combat operations in order to fulfill the obligations of my service and my oath.

Warriors hope for peace and prepare for war, not the other way around.