• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Roger Ball, good and not-so-good questions about the world of "Paddles"

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Leon.jpg

01/21/2012
FLIGHT OPERATIONS
Defense Secretary Leon E. Panetta and Navy Rear Adm. Walter E. Carter Jr., commander of Carrier Strike Group 12, watch flight operations aboard the aircraft carrier USS Enterprise in the Atlantic Ocean, Jan. 21, 2012. The Enterprise Carrier Strike Group is conducting a composite training unit exercise. U.S. Navy photo by Petty Officer 3rd Class Scott Pittman

As a former Safety O (and Airwing Safet Officer of the Day), where the hell is his PPE?

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
As a former Safety O (and Airwing Safet Officer of the Day), where the hell is his PPE?
Does my sarcasm sensor need servicing?

Were you one of THOSE guys? By that I mean, the guy who caused me to, on a weekly basis, explain to the ship's safety officer why I (nor the rest of my LSOs) were wearing cranials.

Different ship, same problem. Ship's safety officer interrupts meeting between myself, NCIS, Secret Service agent, CAG, Captain, and SMO to ask if the President was going to wear a cranial when on the LSO platform....

Attachments

• GHWB.png
    GHWB.png
    414.4 KB · Views: 132

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
So, um, from a guy ignorant about boat ops, why don't LSO's wear proper the PPE that everyone else is required to don?

Can't hear the calls on the phone or the engines spool up/down properly? Seems like that would be any easy fix with some sound powered headphones integrated into a cranial.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Does my sarcasm sensor need servicing?

Were you one of THOSE guys? By that I mean, the guy who caused me to, on a weekly basis, explain to the ship's safety officer why I (nor the rest of my LSOs) were wearing cranials.

Different ship, same problem. Ship's safety officer interrupts meeting between myself, NCIS, Secret Service agent, CAG, Captain, and SMO to ask if the President was going to wear a cranial when on the LSO platform....

Legit pic!

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
So, um, from a guy ignorant about boat ops, why don't LSO's wear proper the PPE that everyone else is required to don?

Can't hear the calls on the phone or the engines spool up/down properly? Seems like that would be any easy fix with some sound powered headphones integrated into a cranial.

A few reasons and you've hit on the biggest (in my experience) - It is critically important to be able to hear the engines, particularly when waving aircraft that have turbofans (vice turbojet or props). There is also a lot of conversation that goes on between the LSOs regarding how to get aircraft aboard with malfunctions (look up ARBs), but from my perspective it's primarily an issue of being able to hear the engines. Plus we have to look cool - why else do you think they always bring the DVs up to see us? It's because we're awesome! :cool:

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

You have a pic with a living president and you sensor yourself? Weak.

Smiles and stuff.