• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Road Program Wannabes

Status
Not open for further replies.

KBayDog

Okay, not really a "Hot Deal," but something for you motorcycle aspirants to consider:

Florida's got a pretty sweet deal (scam?) as far as motorcycle licensing goes. NASP offers the Florida basic motorcycle safety course (the same one offered out in town for upwards of $200) for free. Of course, if you are in the DoD and plan to ride, the course is mandatory. It is a 2 1/2 day course - a few hours Friday night, all day Saturday, and part of Sunday. They have four bikes for you to use if you don't have one of your own, or (if you are like me) and have never even been on a bike before.

Once you complete the course, you simply bring the completion card to the DMV, pay $15 for the duplicate license and endorsement ($25 if it is your first Florida license), and Ominus Dominus, you are a licensed motorcycle rider. Florida considers the motorcycle course training to be sufficient for licensing - they do not require any learner's permit, DMV road test, or anything else if you have successfully completed the course. I don't know how it works in other states, but when I was in South Carolina, even if I took the safety course through the Navy, I'd still have to do the DMV permit/road test through the state.

All in all, not a bad deal, and one worth considering if you plan to ride in F-L-A.

michaels601

Simba Barracuda.
Just got my motorcycle license today, in fact, here in FL. If you're over twenty one, take a quick written, get a permit (all free) and on the next available day take the driving test, get your license, fifteen bucks.

Under 21, you gotta take the safety course.

Not having a DoD ID, though, not sure how that would affect things.

ps- passed it first shot, hells yeah

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
I have a couple of friends who have done that course and pass very easily. Some of them are not too bright either. Once i start to get that navy pay, might get one of those two wheel machines.

KBayDog

Yeah, the course isn't rocket scientry. It was just sweet to kill three birds with one ($15) stone:

1. Learn how to ride one of those pedal-less bicycles,

2. Satisfy DoN regs, and

3. Satisfy Florida licensing requirements.

Clux4

Banned
Virginia has something setup like that, where you can take a course at a community college for some fee and get your license thereafter without going to DMV

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
KBayDog said:
Yeah, the course isn't rocket scientry. It was just sweet to kill three birds with one ($15) stone:

1. Learn how to ride one of those pedal-less bicycles,

2. Satisfy DoN regs, and

3. Satisfy Florida licensing requirements.
Did the same in FL back in the early 90's. Same deal - great class, especially if you're not a biking superstud yet. Having said that, all that ridiculous gear the Navy makes you wear while riding on base means that I rarely bother to ride to work. There are much better places to ride anyway.

Brett

KBayDog

Brett327 said:
all that ridiculous gear the Navy makes you wear while riding on base means that I rarely bother to ride to work.

You don't like wearing a reflective, Kevlar, IR-visible, titanium, full-body chain mail suit as PPE?

kray1395

Brett327 said:
Did the same in FL back in the early 90's. Same deal - great class, especially if you're not a biking superstud yet. Having said that, all that ridiculous gear the Navy makes you wear while riding on base means that I rarely bother to ride to work. There are much better places to ride anyway.

Brett

There's no questioning that the stuff they make us wear is somewhat ridiculous. But I was refreshed to see that at least one company has taken that requirement, and thought about it's customers who are in the military. Introducing the ICON Mil Spec Vest. http://www.helmetshop.com/itemdesc.asp?CartId=12213569SU-EVEREST-MNO94&Ic=3070-0133&Cc=&tpc=
Just like the description of the vest states, you are never going to win a cool points contest when wearing a reflective orange vest while riding, but this vest is about as cool as you're going to get and still meet all requirements for riding a motorcycle while on active duty. I am thinking about picking up one for myself today. Until now, I've been riding with a yellow Oakley backpack, which although not reflective, is very visible during the day. The anal retentive people who are the base security at NASWF, have given me some grief about it from time to time. More often than not, it's been fine, but those few times are so bothersome. I figure this vest will make everyone happy. Now I'm just waiting for some to make the invisible radar detector.

HOORAH

Uncle Sam's Misguided Children
KBayDog said:
Florida's got a pretty sweet deal (scam?) as far as motorcycle licensing goes. NASP offers the Florida basic motorcycle safety course (the same one offered out in town for upwards of $200) for free.
Are you serious? They make you pay $200.00 at all? It's free in my state and they provide all of the bikes for the basic course. They pay for it via the, well when I got my permit it was $7.00, but $10.00 permit fee(no written test either, it takes about 5 minutes). Of course to get into the course is highly competitive and you have to call the day the class opens up. But you don't have to have your permit for a specific anount of time. A lot of people schedule the course then get their permit actually. You can allso already be licensed and take to lower your insurance. I took it. Loved my instructors!!! Great, great guys.

Once you complete the course, you simply bring the completion card to the DMV, pay $15 for the duplicate license and endorsement ($25 if it is your first Florida license), and Ominus Dominus, you are a licensed motorcycle rider.
At the end of my state's course you take a road test at the end of the course (part of the course) to proove that you digested and can enact everything you were taught. No DMV visit necessary. If you pass you are licensed to ride a motorcycle. No added fees!!! You get your license update card in the mail (but have a temp to ride that night) and when your license expires it is then added. So here is the catch. Thanks to Rendell who added/upped every fee he could think of (plus taxes which he said he wouldn't raise). If you have a motorcycle license too you have to pay $45.00!!! for a new one when your license expires. It used to be $20.00 total. Now how is that promoting people to get more efficient, less oil product consuming, less space taking vehicles!!!! Mafia b@$terd.

Status
Not open for further replies.