• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Return of the OV-10 for USMC?

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
As tempted as I am to say this will never happeb, after seeing them actually go through with the flying WO program...

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Lawman said:
He wants to add some "Bling" to your flying Drumstick with these.

P1090021.JPG

But if you really want to be a baller, you gots to get yourself some of these.
http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/03/25/forget-the-spinners-pimp-rims-go-hi-tech/
Dude, that would be super-sweeet! Can you still play stems with those rims?

Brett

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Barnard1425 said:
1. Don´t know what "OBE" means, but if you think that we´ll be done with IEDs anytime real soon you´ll find plenty of people to disagree with you. I´m not saying that we won´t defeat the insurgency (I´m confident we will), just that we´ll be dealing with IEDs for a long time. All it takes is a few fanatics and a few pounds of explosives...

2. I assume that the OV-10 can loiter for much longer than either a helo or fast mover, though I could be wrong (it happened once before :D ).

I do agree that this seems far-fetched. Aren´t there much more pressing priorities with respect to airframe procurement (JSF, V-22, F-22, AH-1Z, UH-1Y, gold Daytons for Brett´s Prowler, MMA, etc.)?

"OBE"= "Overcome by Events," i.e. by the time it's in service, the threat it was brought out to combat will not be the same.

If we were to go to an off-the-shelf or an out-of-the-boneyard solution, we could put a FAC(A)/surveillance platform out there for a very small amout of money(at least in defense budget terms). I think the return on investment could be pretty big. While Predator is nice, having a manned platform that can do real time observation, surveillance, FAC, etc, could make a difference. Maybe not a decisive one, but an improvement over what we have now.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
BOMBSonHAWKEYES said:
Wow, this kind of makes me wonder how capable UAVs are. Its not like they've been underfunded.

They are plenty capable, they just don't have enough of them. While bringing back the OV-10 might not be the worst idea in the world I do not think it is the wisest. It would be a lot cheaper and easier to put some EO/IR sensors on a Cessna or a King Air and use those.

Believe me when I say there are a lot of platforms over there that can do the job of the OV-10 used to do, even better in most cases, they just can't make them fast enough.

There is only so much that we can give and as a result some people are turning over every rock to find more assets. That is why the OV-10 is coming up, they are getting a little desperate. I think there are some serious questions about how the current assets are being utilizied, are they using them effectively/effeciently? I have serious doubts.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
phrogdriver said:
"OBE"= "Overcome by Events," i.e. by the time it's in service, the threat it was brought out to combat will not be the same.

OBE: Typical Shoe/O-4 speak. So Brett, which are you? Sinner.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
gatordev said:
OBE: Typical Shoe/O-4 speak. So Brett, which are you? Sinner.
Not Hinge-speak where I come from, just brevity, although I will proudly wear the title of sinner. Happy Easter, Christians. ;)

Brett