• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Resubmitting Old LOR's

JMonte85

Pro-rec SNA
I just talked to my new recruiter, he told me that there is no expiration date on LOR's being sent to the board, but you cannot reuse previous LOR's thatwere sent once before to the board.

This is my second time submitting to the board, I never heard of this.. Is this true?

No one told me this until today, if it is in fact true this really :icon_rage me off.

MGoBrew11

pilot
I am going to hazard a guess and say this is not true. I've never seen anyone post something along those lines and plenty of people around here resubmit without mentioning that.

FWIW, I am resubmitting for the April board and my recruiter told me flat out I would not need any new letters.

mbraesicke

Ranger
I can confirm this is not correct. I used the same LoR's both times I submitted my application and was selected on the second. Way to stay on top of it though, as one uninformed OR can really bone up your application if you're not careful.

shutout39

pilot
I can confirm this is not correct. I used the same LoR's both times I submitted my application and was selected on the second. Way to stay on top of it though, as one uninformed OR can really bone up your application if you're not careful.

Not on the same topic, but I am going to piggy back based on the above post: My recruiter is telling me that I should not get PRK. I am applying SNA and all the gouge on here is telling me to get PRK as soon as possible. My recruiter is telling me that if I am pro-rec'd, all I have left to do is PFT and then he will apply for me to get a contract. Once I get a contract the Navy will pay for my PRK. Is it possible my recruiter is wrong on this issue, because as you say above, one uninformed OR can really mess me up?

Thanks.

MGoBrew11

pilot
That deal sounds incredible. Probably because it is too good to be true.

Also, if you are going Navy, you no longer do the PRT before OCS. Not sure about Marines.

JMonte85

Pro-rec SNA
Not on the same topic, but I am going to piggy back based on the above post: My recruiter is telling me that I should not get PRK. I am applying SNA and all the gouge on here is telling me to get PRK as soon as possible. My recruiter is telling me that if I am pro-rec'd, all I have left to do is PFT and then he will apply for me to get a contract. Once I get a contract the Navy will pay for my PRK. Is it possible my recruiter is wrong on this issue, because as you say above, one uninformed OR can really mess me up?

Thanks.

I would get a second opinion. Because sure the Navy would take care of you if you were in and they found out you needed it.. But this is a different issue. When you get selected you have so long to get everything accomplished. A lot of people are saying you need to wait 6 months after getting PRK done before a waiver can even be considered. I'm no expert but lining up the facts doesn't seem guaranteed.

Try talking to your processor. Honestly, at my NRD, my processor knew the most. But then again she was civilian and has been there a long time.

Think about how competitive the boards are.. If they see that you still need PRK, and a risk of something going wrong, when they have all these other applicants that do not, who do you think they're going to pick before you.

It just seems like a shot in the dark. I've have two recruiter and both of them gave me wrong information. I would email that guy from new york who has his own blog. He seems like hes been in the swing of things for a while, and creditable.

http://nyusn.blogspot.com/

Either way good luck!

BTW, you should probably make a thread out of this... That way you will get more responses, and two you won't be hijacking this one :)

nugget61

pilot
I just talked to my new recruiter, he told me that there is no expiration date on LOR's being sent to the board, but you cannot reuse previous LOR's thatwere sent once before to the board...

As previously stated, this is incorrect unless its new. It may look funny having a really old letter but its fine to do.

Thanks.

This is why I had to apply a second time. If your vision is within SNA specs and you just want to get PRK, get in and have the Navy do it way down the road. If you're not in specs (worse than 20/40 and/or other stuff) then he's flat out wrong, you can't get a FS with your eyes not in regs and you can't get PRK after you have a FS, tried that too. Gotta pay out of pocket, wait your time and reapply.

Scruff

None
Contributor
I've gone through a few applications/recruiters and it went like this for me: Most if not all your paperwork expires after 6 months. Things without a date can be used again, but most of your things WILL have a date (A good LOR included). So you can use your LORs again, just have the date changed. If you made copies it makes it easier to ask whomever wrote your previous letters for another edited verision. I had to "re-do" 3 of the 5 of mine.

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
I've gone through a few applications/recruiters and it went like this for me: Most if not all your paperwork expires after 6 months. Things without a date can be used again, but most of your things WILL have a date (A good LOR included). So you can use your LORs again, just have the date changed. If you made copies it makes it easier to ask whomever wrote your previous letters for another edited verision. I had to "re-do" 3 of the 5 of mine.

I thought it was 6 months from the time it was seen at the boards. The reason I say this is mine were older than 6 months when the board viewed them. But I had heard 6 months as well so I assumed it meant 6 months after they have been to the board. I will contact my OR tomorrow for something more concrete.

shutout39

pilot
BTW, you should probably make a thread out of this... That way you will get more responses, and two you won't be hijacking this one :)

Yeah, my apologies. I wasn't even going to bring it up until someone mentioned a misinformed recruiter can really mess things up. Got me worried that I have the aforementioned working for/against me.

bluemarlin04

I thought it was 6 months from the time it was seen at the boards. The reason I say this is mine were older than 6 months when the board viewed them. But I had heard 6 months as well so I assumed it meant 6 months after they have been to the board. I will contact my OR tomorrow for something more concrete.

Pretty sure this is correct. Some of my LOR's were pushing six months since the SEP board was a combined board for the previous couple of months. My package took forever to get to the board for things completely out of control.

JollyGood

Flashing Dome
pilot
When I brought this point up with my OR, I was informed that since I am being reconsidered that my LOR's are fine (even though they are getting close to 1 year old). If it was your first time to the board, the best move is to post-date the LORs as the foreseeable future may be a little hazy on when boards may be happening (SWO closed until FY 2013?).

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
UPDATE!***

I just spoke to my OR about LORs and their expiration dates. He said, "There is nothing official stating LOR expiration." He then went on to add that if he thought a LOR was specific to a certain time then he would not accept that LOR but if it is a general LOR that he would accept one no matter how old. Hope that clarifies the LOR debate.