• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Resigning Gouge

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Couldn't find a recent, relevant thread, other than what to look for on a DD-214, but what resigning gouge is there?

Weird position for me - haven't committed to resigning, but don't really see a scenario where I would stay in - just haven't pulled the trigger yet and have a few more months.

With that said:

1. Is there any benefit to starting the paperwork early or should I drop it as late as possible? I think I just got my last FITREP that I could get before I need to resign.
  2. I seem to recall a thread years ago about some extra benefits for those departing the service from overseas duty. I can't find that anymore and everything on the internet only discusses benefits for those retiring from overseas (particularly the P-TDY for job hunting, the being able to retire in country with special permissions, etc. etc.) but nothing for just regular, honorable separations. Are there no benefits? What I'm particularly interested in is like: "can I go back to the states 30 days early?" or "go TAD somewhere," idk, anything, I could have sworn there was something here years ago and just don't want to be uneducated because I am definitely in a command that will suck every ounce out of you they legally can and take advantage of members who aren't aware of their benefits/rights.
  3. Mods, feel free to delete or move to PNA if I'm totally out of line here.

SlickAg

pilot
Did you make O-4? If not, and you probably won’t, I’d wait for the board results and take the severance. The severance is what gets you extra bennies, not a normal resignation.

if you did make O-4 I’d submit your letter sooner rather than later. PERS is probably pretty backlogged and you don’t want there to be a delay in getting your separation orders.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Did you make O-4? If not, and you probably won’t, I’d wait for the board results and take the severance. The severance is what gets you extra bennies, not a normal resignation.

if you did make O-4 I’d submit your letter sooner rather than later. PERS is probably pretty backlogged and you don’t want there to be a delay in getting your separation orders.
Of note for the Marines- the severance has an IRR commitment with it, and 4th MAW is not releasing company grade aviators- a big issue if you wish to continue to fly with the Guard or Reserves.

snake020

Contributor
  1. I seem to recall a thread years ago about some extra benefits for those departing the service from overseas duty. I can't find that anymore and everything on the internet only discusses benefits for those retiring from overseas (particularly the P-TDY for job hunting, the being able to retire in country with special permissions, etc. etc.) but nothing for just regular, honorable separations. Are there no benefits? What I'm particularly interested in is like: "can I go back to the states 30 days early?" or "go TAD somewhere," idk, anything, I could have sworn there was something here years ago and just don't want to be uneducated because I am definitely in a command that will suck every ounce out of you they legally can and take advantage of members who aren't aware of their benefits/rights.

I was in Australia, so I got my command to send me TAD to San Diego for a week of T-GPS four months out from separation. I PCSd back to San Diego and assigned to the TPU for final separation about two weeks before to accomplish DD-214, physicals, etc. I think I could have gone 30 days out, but I was squeezing all the time I could out of Australia.

SlickAg

pilot
Of note for the Marines- the severance has an IRR commitment with it, and 4th MAW is not releasing company grade aviators- a big issue if you wish to continue to fly with the Guard or Reserves.
That nonsense is still going on?

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
  1. Is there any benefit to starting the paperwork early or should I drop it as late as possible? I think I just got my last FITREP that I could get before I need to resign.
  2. I seem to recall a thread years ago about some extra benefits for those departing the service from overseas duty. I can't find that anymore and everything on the internet only discusses benefits for those retiring from overseas (particularly the P-TDY for job hunting, the being able to retire in country with special permissions, etc. etc.) but nothing for just regular, honorable separations. Are there no benefits? What I'm particularly interested in is like: "can I go back to the states 30 days early?" or "go TAD somewhere," idk, anything, I could have sworn there was something here years ago and just don't want to be uneducated because I am definitely in a command that will suck every ounce out of you they legally can and take advantage of members who aren't aware of their benefits/rights.
  3. Mods, feel free to delete or move to PNA if I'm totally out of line here.

1. You need to drop your package about a year out from when you plan to leave the service. You need to reference MILPERSMAN 1920-200 and 1920-190. This will tell you what needs to be in the letter and who to route it to.

2. The Navy will ship you back home and essentially PCS you to your final destination, even from overseas. This becomes weird because they may have you do you outprocessing, TAPS class, and other final paperwork at a PSD back in CONUS. A couple of years ago when I was planning on getting out, everyone in Europe got moved back to the States and then had go to Norfolk to fully outprocess. Depending upon where you are, TAPS class may difficult. Also, if you plan on doing job hunting, it can be difficult to do from overseas. I highly recommend you reach out to headhunters early and hop on LinkedIn. If you want to tap into my network, shoot me a PM.

3. Definitely try to get the severance package. It's some good money. That requires that the Navy give you the boot for failure to select for O4.

4. If you're getting leaned on by your command, I would voice your views earlier rather than later. Otherwise, they will likely run you into the ground and make getting all of your admin completed difficult. If you are really getting out, then you need to be focused on you and your family and have to do everything in your power to start handing Navy stuff off to other people. Not sure who you're working for or what the office politics are like but I've seen dudes get screwed over pretty hard because they didn't clearly set boundaries and didn't fight to get their personal needs met so they could prepare to leave the Navy.

5. If you are considering the Reserves, make sure you include that in your resignation letter. There will be a Reserve recruiter who will be assigned to you to help you transition. Also, reach out to your Reserve component compadres there in the office (We had a lot who came through Naples regularly and I'm sure you've got the same where you are) to start networking. Getting good jobs and commands in the Reserves is largely about who you know and expanding your network is crucial. Also, there are signing bonuses for some designators going into the Reserves. I know the SWOs are getting $10k plus an 18 month deployment deferral, but I'm not sure about the airdales.

If you have any questions, let me know.

Mos

None
I believe nine months is the submission lead time, not one year, unless it changed in the past year, though you should discuss with your chain of command before that.
OP, I resigned about a year ago, will send you a PM.

DanMa1156

pilot
Contributor
Thanks for the help everyone.

Should have elaborated:

Made O-4.
Homeported in Yoko - TAPS/GPS no problem here.
Have a CJO with an airline, at this point just need to get CONUS and do the ME stuff. Also been working with an Air National Guard unit in my hometown that seems interested in me, so hopefully I've got two options.

Thanks for the help. Looks like there's not any extra benefits for someone transitioning from overseas. Is what it is.

Thanks for the gouge on PERS - didn't realize there could be a "backlog" of separation orders. Will probably do it sooner than later now.

Have spoken to the boss about boundaries and saying "no," more. Seems to have fallen on deaf ears. Will figure out how to be a little more diplomatic about doing so; open to any suggestions of people who've been there in the past. I think currently it doesn't help that we are deployed and he's kind of thinking: "yeah, what else are you gonna do while we're underway buddy?"

DanMa1156

pilot
Contributor
I believe nine months is the submission lead time, not one year, unless it changed in the past year, though you should discuss with your chain of command before that.
OP, I resigned about a year ago, will send you a PM.

By instruction, that's true, but our admin/CCC here are saying if you want to get out on time, expect to submit at 12 months. The delays an earlier poster mentioning may be what they are referencing.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Can't help with a lot of your questions, but 1) you need to submit your resignation request (yes it is a request) to PERS 12 months out. They can handle as close as 9 months out in some cases, but you will probably have to fight back and forth a little if you are less than the desired (on their end) 12 month notice. 2) If you are an O-4 select but not actually wearing it yet, consider staying active until you actually pin it.......if you have any desire to do guard/reserves/etc. I'd been wearing it for almost a year and a half when I made the switch so it was no problem, but I already know 2 dudes who were in my rough YG who went reserves at the earliest moment and still haven't pinned it on. Perhaps you don't care and want to be a hero forever, but if you like getting paid more money, might be something to think about if it isn't too inconvenient for your personal program. Caveat.....today was literally my second day of drilling reserve life, so take all of this with a grain of salt.

DanMa1156

pilot
Contributor
Can't help with a lot of your questions, but 1) you need to submit your resignation request (yes it is a request) to PERS 12 months out. They can handle as close as 9 months out in some cases, but you will probably have to fight back and forth a little if you are less than the desired (on their end) 12 month notice. 2) If you are an O-4 select but not actually wearing it yet, consider staying active until you actually pin it.......if you have any desire to do guard/reserves/etc. I'd been wearing it for almost a year and a half when I made the switch so it was no problem, but I already know 2 dudes who were in my rough YG who went reserves at the earliest moment and still haven't pinned it on. Perhaps you don't care and want to be a hero forever, but if you like getting paid more money, might be something to think about if it isn't too inconvenient for your personal program. Caveat.....today was literally my second day of drilling reserve life, so take all of this with a grain of salt.

Ha, I am realizing how poorly I gave my personal situation thinking it wasn't relevant. The earliest I can resign I will have been an O-4 for approximately 10 months, but I can see this being great advice for many others. This assumes I submit my resignation paperwork at the 12 month mark and there are no delays.

In my case, I took overseas accompanied orders back when I was a company man and thought I was on the golden path-ish. Couple of events in my life have really made me reevaluate this as a career for me and the straws kept piling on the metaphorical camel's back for me until it was too much for me. Made O-4 first look, but with the orders that I have, I have to fulfill them to their end.

Last edited:

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Ha, I am realizing how poorly I gave my personal situation thinking it wasn't relevant. The earliest I can resign I will have been an O-4 for approximately 10 months, but I can see this being great advice for many others. This assumes I submit my resignation paperwork at the 12 month mark and there are no delays.

In my case, I took overseas accompanied orders back when I was a company man and thought I was on the golden path-ish. Couple of events in my life have really made me reevaluate this as a career for me and the straws kept piling on the metaphorical camel's back for me until it was too much for me. Made O-4 first look, but with the orders that I have, I have to fulfill them to their end.

Yeah sorry, couldn't remember for sure where you sit YG wise so that stands as advice for the junior bros coming up with ideas of doing something else. My story was similar in terms of timing.

Mos

None
If you are an O-4 select but not actually wearing it yet, consider staying active until you actually pin it.......if you have any desire to do guard/reserves/etc
I can say from personal experience that this is not bad advice. Then again, you could also get a job getting paid as much or more than an O4 anyway, so your net loss may not be that much. But that's probably not the case for you pilots making peanuts your first year in the show. :p

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I can say from personal experience that this is not bad advice. Then again, you could also get a job getting paid as much or more than an O4 anyway, so your net loss may not be that much. But that's probably not the case for you pilots making peanuts your first year in the show. :p

Oh for sure. But if your plans involve a financial benefit from the promotion, might be best to do it on the active side.