• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Reserves to BDCP

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhatFarmer35

Hello:

I had a question about going from the Reserves to BDCP.

Say before college I went into the Marine Corps Reserve and was attending drills at a USMCR unit near my college. Then during my sophmore year of college I applied and was selected for BDCP. Would my USMCR commitment end after being selected for BDCP? I know when you start BDCP you are in the Naval Reserve, or at least are being paid the same as someone who was in the Naval Reserve.

So basicly my question is, how would being selected for BDCP effect my service in the USMCR? Would I immediatly be released from my unit or would I stay in my USMCR unit until I graduate college and am comissioned into the Navy?

Thank you for replying.

PhatFarmer35 said:
Hello:

I had a question about going from the Reserves to BDCP.

Say before college I went into the Marine Corps Reserve and was attending drills at a USMCR unit near my college. Then during my sophmore year of college I applied and was selected for BDCP. Would my USMCR commitment end after being selected for BDCP? I know when you start BDCP you are in the Naval Reserve, or at least are being paid the same as someone who was in the Naval Reserve.

So basicly my question is, how would being selected for BDCP effect my service in the USMCR? Would I immediatly be released from my unit or would I stay in my USMCR unit until I graduate college and am comissioned into the Navy?

I hope this is helpful:

There was a Naval reservist in my OCS class who went to boot then got accepted for OCS a few months later. When he signed his new contract it ended his active reserve commitment and he got credit for time in service from his original recruitment date, without doing the weekend warrior thing while waiting to go to pensacola.

I also know an Army reservist who did BDCP but I think he was considered break in service between reserve training and being picked up for BDCP

PhatFarmer35

About the guy who was in the Naval Reserve. When did he go to OCS? Did he do after college? Also, when did he go to Navy boot camp?

Thank you for replying.

You can only go to Navy OCS after college graduation. I believe he went to boot b4 his sr yr of college but I may be mistaken about that. I'll see him in a week when I report to Navy Supply Corps School, I'll try and remember to ask him for you.

PhatFarmer35

So basicly you can go into the Naval Reserve and drill at a USNR unit until you are selected for OCS. Then when you sign your contract with OCS you are released from your USNR contract right?

And about the Army reservist, what do you mean about him being considered a break in service?

Thank you for replying.

PhatFarmer35 said:
So basicly you can go into the Naval Reserve and drill at a USNR unit until you are selected for OCS. Then when you sign your contract with OCS you are released from your USNR contract right?

Yes. At least that's how it worked for a friend of mine. Keep in mind though it could take quite a while to get accepted for OCS, if at all.

If you are in the reserve and get picked up for BDCP you are released from your current reserve status contract and entered into a new active duty contract.

phatfarmer35 said:
And about the Army reservist, what do you mean about him being considered a break in service?

Break in service just means that there was at least a 6 months break between the end of your last service contract and the start of your OCS orders. Basically it just has an affect on what allowances and reimbursements you are elligible for upon commissioning. (read: $$$$)

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If it helps I can add some credibility to the answers above. All true, if you are a USNR SELRES (weekend warrior) and get a BDCP contract it will end your USNR obligation and you get the time in service. Also, you get paid at E-3 or the paygrade you held in the Reserves, if higher then E-3. Usually, any obligation, active or Reserve will be abrogated if you make something better of yourself, ie a commission.

PhatFarmer35

Thank you for replying.

Would you USNR contract end the day you are just selected for BDCP? Or would it end a little bit later on when you take the oath?

Also, would all this be the same if I was in the reserves or national guard of another service? Such as the Marine Corps Reserve or the Army National Guard?

Thank you again for replying.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Obligation goes away when you are enlisted into BDCP. BDCP is technically active duty after all and has its own obligations. Same is true of other services except you have to get a "conditional release" from that service before you can even apply for any commisioning program. I have never heard of another service not providing a conditional release for someone applying for a Navy commision. But is is their right to refuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.