• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

reserves option if FOS x2 active duty

Sabre170

None
I have a feeling that after today - this thread is going to have some life again.

thanks for the info from last year - after I talk to the detailer and the CTO, I'm sure I am going to have a lot of potato head questions.

I have a feeling that after today - this thread is going to have some life again.

thanks for the info from last year - after I talk to the detailer and the CTO, I'm sure I am going to have a lot of potato head questions.
You'll be fine. Go reserves right away. You care, so you'll make O-4. You'll get a civilian job and live somewhere other than a "fleet concentration area" for more than three years, you'll get to watch the whole run of (whatever the next) LOST is, and feel like a member of society again. If you get "the itch", you can volunteer for a MOB. Plus you'll have a fair amount of flexibility in choosing your jobs or drill locations. The admin's a bummer, and will make you appreciate the active side, but other than that it's a great way to keep on serving. Good luck!

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
Thread revival!

This year will probably be my 1st FOS. I'm planning to rush VR-56, and I was wondering if anyone knew how the timing worked out wrt applying/submitting a package and the second FOS. I want to get the 2nd FOS and walk into a VR squadron as a SELRES, not be scrambling in the 7 months I have after the 2nd FOS to get picked up somewhere.

Thanks!

heynowlookout

pilot
Contributor
Thread revival!

This year will probably be my 1st FOS. I'm planning to rush VR-56, and I was wondering if anyone knew how the timing worked out wrt applying/submitting a package and the second FOS. I want to get the 2nd FOS and walk into a VR squadron as a SELRES, not be scrambling in the 7 months I have after the 2nd FOS to get picked up somewhere.

Thanks!
You might want to prep for the scramble.

From the CFSLW recruiting page at http://www.public.navy.mil/navres/cflsw/Pages/PilotSelectionBoard.aspx

"Regular Navy applicants will only be considered if they have official documentation (e.g., BUPERS Resignation Approval Message, Letter of Resignation, Letter from Commanding Officer) indicating applicant has resigned."

I suppose there could be ways around this but I'd be surprised if any squadron is going to select you with the possibility you're going to say no thanks if you make rank. I don't think the c-40 squadrons have ever had a problem getting applicants and the days of the Herc squadrons getting few applicants and being undermanned seem to be over as well.

jollygreen07

pilot
Contributor
Yeah I saw that blurb, but it didn't deal with 2xFOS applicants directly so I wasn't sure how the process went for FOS'd guys.

Thanks for the insight on hiring, though. I know it's a crapshoot, but I'm hoping my background and willingness to stay local will score me some extra points.

jollygreen07

pilot
Contributor
Rush! Sometimes there are ways to work within policy if people know who you are and find you valuable.

Absolutely. Being on the FORD gives me plenty of time to rush the unit.

Truth. This applies to almost anything in life, really.

You mean there isn't a detailer waiting to contact me to negotiate my first set of civilian orders?!?

But seriously, I'm furiously networking and have been since I left my first JO "sea" tour.