• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Reserve Life and Small Businesses

JPats211

Hi there,

Thanks to everyone on this forum who responds to questions. I read a lot of posts, and they have given me a good idea of what Reserve life is like. However, I was wondering if anyone could shed some life on the work-life balance for those of us who work for/in small businesses. I am getting into a few businesses with my family, but I don't want to give up a dream I've always had of joining the Navy. Does anyone else have experience juggling a business where you are more "in-charge" and responsible for running a company with the requirements of Reserve life? Also, do certain designators tend to allow for a better balance - assuming I'm qualified for it, of course. I'm almost 29 and NPS, but this is something I've always wanted to do. Thanks for your advice.

John

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
What is it that you want to do in the Naval Reserves? Enlisted or commissioned? What field? Intel? Engineering? Public Affairs?

I can tell you with 100% certainty that there are some small business owners in the Naval Reserves who have had to shut down/close their small businesses because they were deployed/mobilized.

Your situation may be different because you stated that you are starting some businesses with your family.

bucki4lyfe

Michigan Sucks
What is it that you want to do in the Naval Reserves? Enlisted or commissioned? What field? Intel? Engineering? Public Affairs?

I can tell you with 100% certainty that there are some small business owners in the Naval Reserves who have had to shut down/close their small businesses because they were deployed/mobilized.

Your situation may be different because you stated that you are starting some businesses with your family.

I think Bubblehead got the major point across...in today's Navy Reserve, you WILL deploy. At that point, if your business is not running like a well-oiled machine with other management ready to take over in the event of your absense, you may have to shut it down...

Just a thought.

JPats211

Thanks both of you.

I would attempt to pursue a commissioned slot. I'm not an engineer by trade, but I've spoken with a recruiter about it, and he believes I am fairly well suited for Intel, Supply, PAO, or HR. Truth be told, I think PAO and Intel interest me the most, but I'm open to ideas.

As for deployment, I fully expect I would have to go at some point, but how much control do you have over that, if you decide to volunteer rather than go simply because you're tapped? I figure if I have some control over things, we can structure and schedule things to make sure they work while I'm gone.

I guess I'm more concerned about the weekend drills and 2 weeks of AT. My recruiter makes it seem like that is really all that is required, but a lot of people are saying they spend a full day or two preparing every month for the drills.

Thank you,

John

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Others, please chime in and correct if necessary.

I am fairly well suited for Intel, Supply, PAO, or HR. Truth be told, I think PAO and Intel interest me the most, but I'm open to ideas.
Choose wisely and keep in mind that you have to be competitive for the program to which you are applying. Your recruiter will be able to determine your competitiveness when you go speak to him or her.

As for deployment, I fully expect I would have to go at some point, but how much control do you have over that, if you decide to volunteer rather than go simply because you're tapped? I figure if I have some control over things, we can structure and schedule things to make sure they work while I'm gone.
I can only speak for the Intel program in that you do not have to worry about deploying for about 1.5 - 1.75 years, due to your training and qualification process. After that time, you will eventually go somewhere to do Intel-related work.

You can volunteer to mobilize, however, you have to have it approved by your chain-of-command and by the gaining command, some of which have "right of first refusal." Volunteering is not a guarantee that you will not be involuntarily MOB'd in the future.

Don't expect 100% success in voluntarily mobilizing to somewhere sunny and CONUS as to avoid playing in the sandbox. You may, however, be able to voluntarily mobilize to your gaining command, but it depends on what is available and who else is applying for said voluntarily mobilization.

Currently, the Navy Reserve "Dwell Time" is 1:5. Meaning, if you are involuntarily recalled for 8 months, you have 40 months of "Dwell Time" before you can be involuntarily recalled again.

You can read more here:
http://www.ia.navy.mil/iapolicy.htm

I guess I'm more concerned about the weekend drills and 2 weeks of AT. My recruiter makes it seem like that is really all that is required, but a lot of people are saying they spend a full day or two preparing every month for the drills.
Again, depends on your chosen pipeline. Also keep in mind that you have to keep up with your correspondence courses online and other administrative items. Some people spend 5 hours a week or more on Reserve "stuff."

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I can tell you that as a Marine in Command of a Navy squadron, I work on something every single day (without pay, I might add) and not to mention I commit 6-10 days a month flying. No one I have seen in the squadrons has a small business. 95% are airline pilots.
I've also been a ground pounder pulling the one weekend/month and 2 weeks/year and have been in units that people owned their own business. It is difficult. You have to trust your staff will be able to run your business while you are deployed for 12-15 months and you will deploy. To be honest, the persons who did not have a contractual obligation to the reserves quit before deployment. Their business survived. The one's who deployed did not. It was especially hard for the Navy Doctors when they deployed, both of them lost their individual practices.
The Punaro report (Jan 08) recommended many changes to the reserves. One of those changes was the requirement that a obligated reservist would expect to deploy at least once in 6 years of obligated service. SecDef adopted this policy in Nov 08. Forgive me, I do not know whether or not you would be obligated but it is something to consider.
Afghanistan is really starting to heat up and there will be many deployments as we build combat forces in the region. I am not trying to kill your spirit rather, I'm just trying to keep your eyes open. I've enjoyed my career and have no regrets over the last 24 years but I tried to educate myself before I commit. I commend you on your questions and I hope that you make the decision that is best for you.

Semper Fi!

Frumby

JPats211

Choose wisely and keep in mind that you have to be competitive for the program to which you are applying. Your recruiter will be able to determine your competitiveness when you go speak to him or her.

He was the one who thought I should look into those four designators, but I agree that I need to do some more research as to what makes a competitive packet for each.

I can only speak for the Intel program in that you do not have to worry about deploying for about 1.5 - 1.75 years, due to your training and qualification process. After that time, you will eventually go somewhere to do Intel-related work.

You can volunteer to mobilize, however, you have to have it approved by your chain-of-command and by the gaining command, some of which have "right of first refusal." Volunteering is not a guarantee that you will not be involuntarily MOB'd in the future.

Don't expect 100% success in voluntarily mobilizing to somewhere sunny and CONUS as to avoid playing in the sandbox. You may, however, be able to voluntarily mobilize to your gaining command, but it depends on what is available and who else is applying for said voluntarily mobilization.

Currently, the Navy Reserve "Dwell Time" is 1:5. Meaning, if you are involuntarily recalled for 8 months, you have 40 months of "Dwell Time" before you can be involuntarily recalled again.

Thanks for that link, but I guess I'm a little confused. I don't mind going to the sandbox, but does the 1:5 ratio only apply if your mobilization is involuntary? So, I could volunteer for a mission, be gone a year, come home and immediately be sent back involuntarily? I understand the dwell time regulation is subject to change due to the needs of the Navy, but I was under the impression that the ration applied regardless if you went voluntarily or not. Is that wrong?

Also, since you have intel experience, how long are those involuntary deployments generally? I've seen 6 months thrown about, but is that 6 in theater, with prep work and debrief stuff on either side, so I would expect more like a year?

Thanks bubblehead.

I am not trying to kill your spirit rather, I'm just trying to keep your eyes open. I've enjoyed my career and have no regrets over the last 24 years but I tried to educate myself before I commit. I commend you on your questions and I hope that you make the decision that is best for you.

Thanks Frumby. I want to make this work, but I am not going to leap before I look. I need to talk some things over, but I think there is a way to make it happen. Thanks for your advice.

John

dephyler

Contributor
I don't mind going to the sandbox, but does the 1:5 ratio only apply if your mobilization is involuntary? So, I could volunteer for a mission, be gone a year, come home and immediately be sent back involuntarily?

Also, since you have intel experience, how long are those involuntary deployments generally? I've seen 6 months thrown about, but is that 6 in theater, with prep work and debrief stuff on either side, so I would expect more like a year?

First, the easy answer. Six month deployments are the rare exception to the rule. I'm in intel, and the typical deployment that I've seen is 12 months "boots on ground," with a couple months of work up prior to that. There may be others that are shorter, but I'd expect a little over a year away from the family.

As for dwell time and deployments. The scenario you present is possible. How likely depends on the desperation. This may be a NIRR thing, but I was told by my NIRRC that if you volunteer and it's your first deployment, the orders will be written up as involuntary, thus dwell time applicable. I have no idea if that's Navy wide, or command specific.

I respect the enthusiasm, but IMHO, it's best to go into this with the mindset that once you raise your right hand, your control over the deployment schedule will be minimal to nonexistent.

bucki4lyfe

Michigan Sucks
As for dwell time and deployments. The scenario you present is possible. How likely depends on the desperation. This may be a NIRR thing, but I was told by my NIRRC that if you volunteer and it's your first deployment, the orders will be written up as involuntary, thus dwell time applicable. I have no idea if that's Navy wide, or command specific.

That's really interesting...I wonder if that's the same way in DC...I'm going to ask my OIC in a few weeks when I meet him. That could be really cool if it worked out that way. I'm young and might look for some extra deployments anyway, it's just nice to know that the command does that for you.

I'll post back if I find out the answer.

alpha blue

What happens if you're a reservist working at a larger company and you get called up? Do you simply drop what you're doing, quit your job and then start from scratch again once your tour of duty ends?