• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Requirements for USNA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warbird

Does anyone know what the requirements for non-US citizens to attend the academy are?
And what would happen after graduation? would I be commissioned as an ensign in my nations navy, and would I have the option of joining the US navy instead?(<<which is what I would prefer to do)

thanks a plenty,
kyle

BTW I am a canadian citizen

flynhi

Applying is the first step but doesn't necessarily mean you will become a citizen. Things can happen beyond your control. You must become a citizen first. Once a citizen, you should have no trouble.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
In the interest of international and Navy-to-Navy relations, up to 40 students from certain foreign countries may be enrolled at the academy. The Department of Defense selects and notifies the countries that may nominate candidates.

If you are not an American citizen, completion of a Precandidate Questionnaire to begin the application process is not necessary. Instead, to obtain information concerning application procedures, you should contact the U. S. Naval Attache at the U.S. Embassy in your home country.

manny7_99

The Chief is right. However, If you are applying for citizenship you may be admitted to the prep school (NAPS) if you do have a swearing date; but you MUST be a citizen by the first day of instruction.

Also, the Navy-to-Navy exchanges and slots are usually for diversity purposes. Canada is not (my own assumption here) exactly considered for this purposes; check with your embassy though. I'd assume your best shot is to naturalize. Remember, you must be younger than 22 yrs old the year you plan to start.

hope this helps,

- Manny

Integer1

Banned
Younger than 22 yrs old the year you plan to start for NAPS or younger than 23 yrs old the year you plan to start the USNA.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
Basic Requirements for Eligibility to USNA:

United States citizen:

Good moral character;

At least 17 and not past their 23rd birthday on 1 July of the year they would enter the academy;

Unmarried;

Not pregnant; and

No dependents.

usunkmybship

He should be still 23 during plebe summer. He's a prior.

Yeah, don't take drugs. We got a guy kicked out the second week for testing positive.

And there will always be those a-holes that get through as for morality goes. Good thing everybody in my platoon gets along with each other even though some jack up a lot.

xof

If you're really, really gung-ho to become an officer, here's what you can do:
1) Enlist in the US Armed Forces
2a) Apply for citizenship. Non-citizens in uniform get expedited and preferential treatment when it comes to naturalization.
2b) Apply to an officer commisioning program, including the Academies.
3) Pray you're not too old by the time all this happens.

Integer1

Banned
I'm sorry, but how is that possible? 23 years old at NAPS?

So you can enter NAPS as long as you're younger than 23, and then the academy at whatever age it happens to be (23 or 24) ?

And reeve has a good suggestion. Just enlist and keep applying to the academies. You will usually become a citizen in 1 to 3 years that way, and you will have 5 years to stay eligible for the academies, and even longer for other commissioning sources.

Status
Not open for further replies.