• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

REQUEST: Good aviation/military books

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
How rare was it for an Air Force Brigadier General to get busted down to Colonel during the Vietnam war?

The reason I ask is My Great Uncle John Wollmers did that, he disagree with tactics the B-52 where being forced to use and their high losses (btw he was a bomber pilot during WWII) and raised a ruckus. I don't know what time frame during the Vietnam war this took place, But I wold like to know more about his incident.
btw he retired in the mid 70's and does not like to discuses his involvement in both wars, it something he try's to forget about.

Very rare I think. But given the internal bitter schism within the Air Force regarding B-52s in Vietnam, and especially the polarizing events of Linebacker II and its regrettable tactics, it is not surprising that some careers were trashed.

I am not familiar with your great uncle. But my guess is he was one of the "good guys" who balked at the absurd B-52 tactics that caused loss of lives, and who paid a price for being both outspoken and right.

Whether there was actually a "mutiny" at Anderson AFB in Guam is debatable. But there obviously was a major confrontation between the B-52 crews and the Generals. This incident and the failures of Linebacker II were mostly covered up for a few years, until a former B-52 pilot (Drenkowski) published a 1977 article in the Armed Forces Journal, "The Tragedy of Linebacker II." This was later expanded in Soldier of Fortune magazine, where he alleges the refusal of crews to fly ('mutiny') not only in Guam, but also in U-Tapao.

The Air force soon rebutted all the allegations in a follow-up Journal article.

There is no doubt there was animosity between the operators, and the SAC generals, most of whom planned the tactics in Omaha's Offutt AFB. They did not want to hear anything from the crews who had to fly ridiculous and dangerous flight patterns repeatedly, despite the losses.

Having flown in Linebacker II myself, watching the Buffs fly overhead and on radar, it was immediately evident to me that their tactics were wrong. And observing their burning losses in the night sky proved it!

A couple of weeks later a couple of Buff crews over a beer detailed an incredible standoff confrontation at the Anderson O'Club, where the crews refused to fly the next day unless the tactics were changed... and thankfully they were, finally but belatedly.

The 11 Days of Christmas

Operation Linebacker II - Triumph & Tragedy at 30,000 Feet

Bibliography

ebony02.jpg

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
How rare was it for an Air Force Brigadier General to get busted down to Colonel during the Vietnam war?

The reason I ask is My Great Uncle John Wollmers did that, he disagree with tactics the B-52 where being forced to use and their high losses (btw he was a bomber pilot during WWII) and raised a ruckus. I don't know what time frame during the Vietnam war this took place, But I wold like to know more about his incident.
btw he retired in the mid 70's and does not like to discuses his involvement in both wars, it something he try's to forget about.

Are you sure he wasn't just forced to retire before earning a BGen retirement? I ask because a general actually losing a rank would mean that he was actually taken to trial at a court martial and found guilty of a crime. That is, unless he was frocked or something, though I've never heard of anyone frocked to flag rank.

Are you sure he wasn't just forced to retire before earning a BGen retirement? I ask because a general actually losing a rank would mean that he was actually taken to trial at a court martial and found guilty of a crime. That is, unless he was frocked or something, though I've never heard of anyone frocked to flag rank.

Catmando that is what I was thinking,

My thinking is that it was rare and the gossip would have spread around to all of the military forces serving in the Pacific at that time.

phrogdriver, I am pretty sure that he was frocked or reprimanded, the way my family told the story, it was like he was a folk hero and it was something the family was proud of. Btw my family was proud of his service and his actions in Vietnam.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Almost finished reading "To Try Men's Souls" by Newt Ginrich and William R Forstchen. It's about Gen George Washington on the night of his Delaware crossing and the Battle of Trenton. It is fictional, based on facts. The story puts you almost in the footsteps of the soldiers, in George Washington's head. It's extremely well written IMO.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Just bought "digital apollo"....not sure how it is going to be....kind of a treatise on human machine interface. I think the author thinks pilots are dispensable, but I've only gotten through the first chapter thus far. Will report back

revan1013

Death by Snoo Snoo
pilot
http://www.amazon.com/Without-Hesitation-Odyssey-American-Warrior/dp/0312599056

This is former-CJCS General Hugh Shelton's newest book.

I haven't read the whole thing, only bits and pieces from when I pop into B&N. Very well-written. It's both an auto-biography and a memoir of his career in the Army from Vietnam to become Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. It goes into detail on the inside-debates that took place in the late-Clinton, early-Bush White Houses. I'm definitely going to finish reading this one.

yak52driver

Contributor
I just received a book from a friend of mine that flew F-4's for the Air Force during Vietnam. The book is "Zero Dark Thirty" by Capt. Samuel Brantley. Capt. Brantley was a USMC pilot in Vietnam flying A-4s; he did a FAC tour during the Tet Offensive. I haven't gotten very far yet, but I'll let you know.

Jamin'G

pilot
Great thread! I've already bought several books based on the recommendations therein. As an addendum, I have another suggestion. I recently finished reading "The Good Soldiers" by David Finkel. This book details the day to day heroism of the soldiers of the 2-16 -- an Army infantry battalion nicknamed the Rangers -- that served as part of the surge strategy to deal with the increasingly violent and complex geopolitical challenges faced in Iraq circa 2007.

I can't count how many times I've heard about specifics of the ground campaign and their daily struggle with improvised explosive devices and EFP's, but this book really puts them in perspective. It gives insight into some of the complexities of our operations in Iraq, and the physical and mental burdens of command faced by infantry leaders. Nothing but respect to them on that front.

Also, being a Growler guy, it's nice to see how our mission can help alleviate such a devastating and demoralizing tactic of warfare employed against our troops.

JaminG

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Great thread! I've already bought several books based on the recommendations therein. As an addendum, I have another suggestion. I recently finished reading "The Good Soldiers" by David Finkel. This book details the day to day heroism of the soldiers of the 2-16 -- an Army infantry battalion nicknamed the Rangers -- that served as part of the surge strategy to deal with the increasingly violent and complex geopolitical challenges faced in Iraq circa 2007.

I can't count how many times I've heard about specifics of the ground campaign and their daily struggle with improvised explosive devices and EFP's, but this book really puts them in perspective. It gives insight into some of the complexities of our operations in Iraq, and the physical and mental burdens of command faced by infantry leaders. Nothing but respect to them on that front.

Also, being a Growler guy, it's nice to see how our mission can help alleviate such a devastating and demoralizing tactic of warfare employed against our troops.

JaminG

Dude, we had a brief by a former FAC in that timeframe, who described his orders from higher up one day being "attack the south side of the city" (can't remember what town). That is pretty f**king motivating....some WWII s**t right there.

Jamin'G

pilot
I know, man. Really puts things in perspective. We exist to support the guys on the ground -- pure and simple. Having a chance to match a face with those names, I think, is the greatest power of reading this book. When the fog of war grows heavy, nothing like that to bring a bit of clarity to mind. No matter your political persuasion, men such as these make us proud to be Americans.

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot

LFDtoUSMC

pilot
Contributor
Reading the 20 year Anniversary of the first Gulf War thread got me remembering a book I read years ago; while not aviation based, it follows a USMC reservist from Basic through LAV training then details his Gulf War. A good read for those who can find it.

Buzz Williams - Spare Parts

exhelodrvr

pilot
That is, unless he was frocked or something, though I've never heard of anyone frocked to flag rank.

That used to be quite common, particularly during wartime with the significant expansion of the military. Promotions could be to a "temporary" rank, with a return to "permanent" ranks at some subsequent point when the size of the force is reduced.

Citation3

Not Navy related but a great read.

I just finished off the book Fulcrum by Alexander Zuyev. Nothing like defecting the Soviet Union by borrowing a Mig-29 and bolting across the Black Sea to Turkey and handing over the keys. It also give an interesting perspective of life in the Soviet Union and the dissatisfaction with the Communist political system.