• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Renouncing Citizenship, updating Security Clearance and convincing CNRC issue

Bloodline

Hi and how is everyone doing,

I got pro-select in July last year and I am currently waiting on my final select letter. I know that this is typically a long process but I believe that my case face a peculiar issue. I was born in Haiti and I came to this country in the year of 2000. I got naturalized as a citizen in 2006. My officer recruiter said that the reason why CNRC is not signing my final select letter is because my interim clearance shows that I am not a U.S citizen. Since I was a drilling reservist, my officer recruiter said the only way for this to be updated is for my reserve command to update JPAS and DONCAF and put my status as a naturalized citizen. My reserve command on the other hand, claims that they do not have the power to make such change. In this particular case, what do I do to get my citizenship status updated in order for my final select to get signed?

Shpion1

Contributor
When you filled in your SF 86, you should have filled in the place for your citizenship, stating US. Should have indicated Naturalized and then provide the number of the certificate. OBTW, make plenty of copies of it. You'll need it. They can also take a copy and forward it to the investigating agency, now likely OPM. Without being a US citizen, you can't get a clearance period, interim or otherkind. Only if the USG really really, I mean really needs your skills would you get a Limited Access Authorization.

Not sure if possible, but maybe the Officer Recruiter can send a copy of your naturalization to CNRC attesting to your citizenship status. Good Luch

Bloodline

I actually already have an interim clearance, but for some reason the system shows that I'm not an U.S Citizen. Apparently CNRC will not sign my final select letter until that's updated. :(

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I'm not positive, but perhaps if the paperwork is already submitted, then you may end up having to wait until a determination is made and then resubmit if it's rejected. You could always trying contacting DONCAF directly (preferably through a security manager within your recruiter's CoC) and see if they can add your naturalization certificate number to your application (which I would have assumed you put on the form yourself in the first place). I just don't understand how your paperwork says your not a US Citizen if you filled it out correctly.

Bloodline

So far I have already waited 5 months going towards 6 months for my final select letter to get signed. I honestly don't know what to do, I'm tired of waiting. Can I get some advice please everyone?

TrunkMonkey

Spy Navy
So far I have already waited 5 months going towards 6 months for my final select letter to get signed. I honestly don't know what to do, I'm tired of waiting. Can I get some advice please everyone?

If whoever has been processing your clearance looks up your record in JPAS, there should be an active link that says "Request to Research/Upgrade Eligibility". Clicking on that takes you to a free-text field where you can type in your justification for the request. They will come back with a POC to fax the naturlization certificate to so they can upgrade your investigation. The security manager that has been processing you will have to do this, but that is what I would do. Good luck.

Bloodline

CNRC ISSUe

I have been waiting six months for a final select to be signed. CNRC keeps refusing to sign it with their reason being that I need to renunciate my Haitian citizenship. I called the Haitian Embassy in Washington DC and they told me I cannot renunciate since my Haitian citizenship was immediately revoked once I became a naturalized citizen in the U.S. Me and my recruiter sent CNRC a letter of me explicitly rejecting any affiliations with Haiti as far as a citizen and a copy of the Haitian constitution where it shows under article 13 that Haitian citizenship is lost once you become a citizenship in a foreign nation. Although those documents were provided to CNRC on several occasions, CNRC continuously denies to sign to sign my final select letter for that same reason. A friend of mine who is army suggested me contacting the Navy Inspector General. I would like to know what do yo guys think of the IG idea and if you have any other suggestions.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have been waiting six months for a final select to be signed. CNRC keeps refusing to sign it with their reason being that I need to renunciate my Haitian citizenship. I called the Haitian Embassy in Washington DC and they told me I cannot renunciate since my Haitian citizenship was immediately revoked once I became a naturalized citizen in the U.S. Me and my recruiter sent CNRC a letter of me explicitly rejecting any affiliations with Haiti as far as a citizen and a copy of the Haitian constitution where it shows under article 13 that Haitian citizenship is lost once you become a citizenship in a foreign nation. Although those documents were provided to CNRC on several occasions, CNRC continuously denies to sign to sign my final select letter for that same reason.

Why not ask Haitian Embassy to write something to that effect? Your recruiter is your best champion.

A friend of mine who is army suggested me contacting the Navy Inspector General. I would like to know what do yo guys think of the IG idea and if you have any other suggestions.

Bad idea. Some friend you have there. Seek better advice. Like I said, your recruiter is your best champion. You risk freezing the entire proces by calling IG. This is not "fraud, waste or abuse". The rules say you must renunciate your Haitian citizenship so give them what they want in paper however you have to make it happen with Embassy.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
When I renounced my Iranian citizenship..I wrote a letter to them saying I was forfeiting citizenship and turned in my passport and their form of a social security card. Their reply was that they do not allow anyone to renounce Iranian citizenship and "once Iranian always Iranian". This letter was adequate enough to get a final select signed off and I left for OCS in March of last year. Now I don't know how long it will take for the Haitian Embassy to do the turnaround and get it back to you considering they have bigger problems at the moment.

TrunkMonkey

Spy Navy
Have the recruiter contact them and ask them explicitly what they want. Whether it be something from the embassy or something else from you.
Destroy your Haitian passport and have it witnessed by your recruiter. Have him write a letter certifying you have destroyed the passport, giving the passport number, and renounce all Haitian citizenship and ties with Haiti, have it signed and send it in to them.
Do not call IG. I know this is a frustrating situation, but be patient and let the cogs turn. IG is not the appropriate tool to use right now.