• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Remember when you became a pilot?

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
BzB - We were fortunate in the F-4 to not have to get involved in all that WW-III, end-of-the-world-as-we-know-it stuff.

I certainly didn't envy you attack guys who had to occasionally take time out from the hot war at hand, to spend massive time and effort on your SIOP one-way-mission planning... that we fighter guys weren't supposed to even know about.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
BzB I certainly didn't envy you attack guys who had to occasionally take time out from the hot war at hand, to spend massive time and effort on your SIOP one-way-mission planning/& loading drills... that we fighter guys weren't supposed to even know about.

Hah, that was really so humorous! An amateur 'show', like every non-involved Sailor was supposed to think that all those mean looking, crusty, heavily armed Marines, ringing certain VA A/C on the hanger deck, were there guarding brig inmates? Wink,. wink.;)

Sometimes, we were required to keep the weapons cloaked with a canvas cover while loading, downloading & transporting the weapon. As though any casual crew onlooker might turn into a pillar of salt if they actually laid eyes on one! Kinda funny.:D
BzB

blackbart22

pilot
SIOP launches were realatively easy for the cat crews the interval being set on the clock, but V-1 guys had a tough time trying to keep those Marine guards alive. Each aircraft arrived on deck with a young Marine attached. Each had an M-1, mouse ears, zero flight deck experience, and orders to stick with the bird, no matter what. The Blue Shirts had a tough time chaseing them away when "their" bird was being spotted on the cat.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Each aircraft arrived on deck with a young Marine attached. Each had an M-1, mouse ears, zero flight deck experience, and orders to stick with the bird, no matter what.

Can you imagine how that poor Marine guard felt when the A-4 with 'his [real] weapon' aboard, slid off the #2 elevator on TICO, during a SIOP drill in '65! Lost plane, pilot & weapon in ~12,000' deep water off Okinawa. Bad day, weapon never recovered.:oops:
*MarDet CO to Cpl Jones "You lost your WHAT!"
BzB

Pags

N/A
pilot
Can you imagine how that poor Marine guard felt when the A-4 with 'his [real] weapon' aboard, slid off the #2 elevator on TICO, during a SIOP drill in '65! Lost plane, pilot & weapon in ~12,000' deep water off Okinawa. Bad day, weapon never recovered.:oops:
*MarDet CO to Cpl Jones "You lost your WHAT!"
BzB
-weren't you supposed to watch the weapon?!?!
-sure sarge. I watched them put it on the jet. I watched the jet go to the roof and then I watched the jet fall of the roof with the bomb attached. And then I watched it sink. Watching complete!