• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Remember the USS Forrestal fire today...

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I always tell folks that if every Marine is a rifleman, then every Sailor is a firefighter.

On a serious note, I was disappointed with how uncoordinated my fellow Sailors were when it came to manning the hose while going through my recert. I'm hoping that new members of ship's company, as they come aboard, are trained and trained again on how to do it properly. This is no discredit to the school; I thought they did a terrific job of covering all the relevant points. I just saw that in practice some people "get it" and others are a hindrance.

Countering my concern there was a real fire from my time in Afghanistan. It was December 28th, 2010, on FOB Kalagush. We got hit pretty heavily with mortar and rockets. The fuel farm got hit and we lost over 42,000 gallons of fuel to the fire. Yet, even in this situation the Sailors stepped up and fought the fire. I was pretty damn proud of what I saw.

Here's a pic from the initial fire:
kalagush.jpg