• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Refuse a Re-designation?

exNavyOffRec

I can already tell you're an asshole. I'm proud to call myself a Naval Officer, and I don't need anyone saying or assuming otherwise. You try going through what he is and tell me you're not stressed the fuck out trying to figure out what your future holds. I don't know about you, but I look out for those I care about and try to find answers for them if I can.

He only said that because it really happens, wait until you get to the fleet then you will see

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I talked to him to clear some things up, and it seems to me his biggest worry isn't whether or not he will be able to fly but more about his long-term health by staying in the military. He doesn't have a problem with re-designating (that is even if they do re-designate him)...this whole thread was made for me to get information on whether or not someone can refuse the re-designation process because I was told by a prior enlisted friend that he could, so I would appreciate any information related to that topic
...I don't know about you, but I look out for those I care about and try to find answers for them if I can.
Why don't you just tell him about this nifty website called airwarriors.com where he can ask other officers for advice? Then you don't have to spend an inordinate amount of time being the middle man for a grown (wo)man. If you're telling the truth and this is really about a friend, you're kind of playing mom right now and it's kind of silly. Point him in the right direction and let him take care of his business.

P3 F0

None
I can already tell you're an asshole. I'm proud to call myself a Naval Officer, and I don't need anyone saying or assuming otherwise. You try going through what he is and tell me you're not stressed the fuck out trying to figure out what your future holds. I don't know about you, but I look out for those I care about and try to find answers for them if I can.
If this is how thin your skin is, you're in for a long haul, and I feel sorry for those that are going to be forced to serve with you.

AllYourBass

I'm okay with the events unfolding currently
pilot

m3i1P.gif

Alec Birchfield

I'm not playing mom at all. Wouldn't you help your fellow peers out if they needed it? I understand he can do things himself, but that doesn't mean I can't help him out in trying to find the best route for him to take just as I would do for anyone who would serve under me. I do what I would expect others to do for me, and if that means finding answers for them when they ask me to I will no matter how frivolous it seems

Alec Birchfield

I apologize for the unnecessary outburst. I just know what it's like to not know what your future holds, and I don't want that for anyone. That's why I'm on here asking questions and looking for options for this guy.

RiseR 25

I had something medical arise at OCS. I chose to DOR and live with the consequences and fall back on my engineering schooling when looking for work, rather than wait for someone to tell me whether or not I have the option to redes. Was it in contradiction with what they instruct you at Newport about Naval Officer first and so on and so forth...? Sure it was, but it is what it is and I chose to live with the decision. I would propose up front flight physicals (and NAMI certification) for those candidates going Aviation but the Navy believes otherwise, and it makes sense when you look at it from a numbers standpoint.

Good luck to your friend. Unless he's got a good background and experience in another field, I would suggest he stay and take a redes if offered, especially since he's been through his commissioning program.

flynsail

pilot
It seems the best source of information is the StuCon Officer. He would know the options your friend has, rather than ask some of us. Unless, of course, your friend is trying to figure out a way to scam out of military service he signed a contract for. Then I could understand why you are asking us instead of the guys dealing with this on a weekly basis.

You do make it sound like he wants to fly only, and build hours for post military flying. Should that be the case, it is the gamble he chose to get Uncle Sam to pay for his flight hours.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I'm not playing mom at all. Wouldn't you help your fellow peers out if they needed it? I understand he can do things himself, but that doesn't mean I can't help him out in trying to find the best route for him to take just as I would do for anyone who would serve under me. I do what I would expect others to do for me, and if that means finding answers for them when they ask me to I will no matter how frivolous it seems
Look, if this is about a friend then your heart is in the right place, but realistically pointing someone to where they can obtain information about their problem(s) is the kind of help you should give.

You mentioned doing the same for your Sailors, but if they have medical troubles then you send them to medical and make sure they get there. If they have legal troubles you make sure they call the JAG. It's your job to get them the help that they need, and not to be a middle-man in a telephone chain. What happens if you miscommunicate what someone else said and end up making the situation worse? I know in this case it's a friend of yours but the same principle applies -- give him the contact info to people who know what they're talking about and lend an ear when he wants to bitch about the outcome over a beer.

Alec Birchfield

Look, if this is about a friend then your heart is in the right place, but realistically pointing someone to where they can obtain information about their problem(s) is the kind of help you should give.

You mentioned doing the same for your Sailors, but if they have medical troubles then you send them to medical and make sure they get there. If they have legal troubles you make sure they call the JAG. It's your job to get them the help that they need, and not to be a middle-man in a telephone chain. What happens if you miscommunicate what someone else said and end up making the situation worse? I know in this case it's a friend of yours but the same principle applies -- give him the contact info to people who know what they're talking about and lend an ear when he wants to bitch about the outcome over a beer.
You're exactly right. I've used AirWarriors in the past for Q&A type stuff, but I definitely see your point in this situation.

Criminal

God's personal hacky sack
pilot
Holy shit dude, that was uh pretty awesome. You need a hug or help with that improperly placed stick? cause my statement was a joke. So try unfucking yourself and realize that while everyone here will help where they can, they will also poke fun as much as possible. Good luck to you and your ' friend', wherever ' he ' is

Alec Birchfield

Holy shit dude, that was uh pretty awesome. You need a hug or help with that improperly placed stick? cause my statement was a joke. So try unfucking yourself and realize that while everyone here will help where they can, they will also poke fun as much as possible. Good luck to you and your ' friend', wherever ' he ' is
That's why I said earlier that I apologized for what I said cause it was unnecessary. Everyone has helped and I appreciate everyone's input, and like other people have said I don't need to be trying to find answers for someone who is perfectly capable of doing it himself. In other words, I can show him a door but I don't need to be trying to walk through it.