• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Refuse a Re-designation?

Alec Birchfield

I am an Ensign and just began the API program in Pensacola, Florida. One of my friends was a couple days from finishing the program when he re-herniated a disc in his back. That has brought its own problems, but his biggest worry is not being able to continue with a military aviation career. He also doesn't want to put his health in danger by continuing in the military if he gets re-designated to another career path. I told him that he may could get medically discharged, but a prior told me that he could refuse the re-designation process if it comes to that. Does anyone have more information on refusing a re-designation?

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Depending on commissioning source, he could incur penalties for not serving his committment if the Navy paid for his college.

Just curious about the dilemma of continuing aviation, but worried about long term health if switched to another designator?

Alec Birchfield

He told me he graduated college then joined the Navy after that so I don't think the Navy paid for any of his college. I think he is just worried that even if he gets fixed this time that it could happen again while is in the military because he has to stay in good physical condition no matter what designator he is. He just doesn't want to spend 4+ years doing something that isn't going to further his aviation career if they don't allow him to continue in the aviation program.

MGoBrew11

pilot
First off, if they won't let him continue with aviation at this stage in the game he is likely not getting redesignated anyways. It can happen, but all the attrites I have known (several to include npq, airsickness, dor, and grades) have been separated.

Like wlawr, I'm a little confused by the rest of the question....it sounds like he's worried about being cleared, eventually getting wings and then reinjuring his back and not being able to fly. Tell him to suck it up. He knew what he was signing up for. There are also just too many unknown factors in the future to worry about such a thing.

Not to sound like a douche, but honestly, the whole "I don't want to do something for 4 years that won't further my career" is absurd. There is nothing wrong with joining the Navy just to fly IMHO, but there are risks in doing so that you must accept before signing the dotted line.

TexasTools

None
Judging from the past couple of months, there's only ~15% chance of redesignating out of API for attrites. I highly doubt they're going to redes someone with medical issues. That's my common sense opinion, but we know that's not how the Navy works.

Alec Birchfield

Oh believe me, I've told him the same thing y'all are saying. I also believe that it is a stressful time for him not having any job security right now, but hopefully everything works out for him in a positive way. I just didn't exactly know how to answer the questions he was asking me.

Alec Birchfield

I talked to him to clear some things up, and it seems to me his biggest worry isn't whether or not he will be able to fly but more about his long-term health by staying in the military. He doesn't have a problem with re-designating (that is even if they do re-designate him)...this whole thread was made for me to get information on whether or not someone can refuse the re-designation process because I was told by a prior enlisted friend that he could, so I would appreciate any information related to that topic

exNavyOffRec

I talked to him to clear some things up, and it seems to me his biggest worry isn't whether or not he will be able to fly but more about his long-term health by staying in the military. He doesn't have a problem with re-designating (that is even if they do re-designate him)...this whole thread was made for me to get information on whether or not someone can refuse the re-designation process because I was told by a prior enlisted friend that he could, so I would appreciate any information related to that topic

I had a young man I put in get DQ'd due to back issues (not disc, just general back problems that started in OCS), I don't think he ever even started any of the flight training, he did not ask to be redesignated and was sent home, this was several years ago when if you wanted to stay they would let you stay (generally).

If he is concerned about long term physical issues by staying in the military he really shouldn't be, much of the PT that is done is easier than I see average people doing at the gym.

Alec Birchfield

I had a young man I put in get DQ'd due to back issues (not disc, just general back problems that started in OCS), I don't think he ever even started any of the flight training, he did not ask to be redesignated and was sent home, this was several years ago when if you wanted to stay they would let you stay (generally).

If he is concerned about long term physical issues by staying in the military he really shouldn't be, much of the PT that is done is easier than I see average people doing at the gym.
Thank you for that information! He still has to be seen by a surgeon and a lot of other things before a final decision is made, but if it's his choice to not want to be in anymore maybe with what happened to that young man you mentioned still applies

Alec Birchfield

Reminds me of the old ' I have, uh a friend, with this weird bump on his dick... what should he do' kind of thing...
I can already tell you're an asshole. I'm proud to call myself a Naval Officer, and I don't need anyone saying or assuming otherwise. You try going through what he is and tell me you're not stressed the fuck out trying to figure out what your future holds. I don't know about you, but I look out for those I care about and try to find answers for them if I can.

Sonog

pilot
I can already tell you're an asshole. I'm proud to call myself a Naval Officer, and I don't need anyone saying or assuming otherwise. You try going through what he is and tell me you're not stressed the fuck out trying to figure out what your future holds. I don't know about you, but I look out for those I care about and try to find answers for them if I can.

wow dude, lighten up