• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

references?

Status
Not open for further replies.

esday1

He'll dazzle you with terms like "Code Red."
I'm filling out my OCS app (due next Monday when I take my physical) and I'm trying to get my list of references together. So far I've got the dean, my thesis advisor, my boss, and my coach, and I'm trying to figure out who to use for the last "other" reference. My OSO said something about using a friend or teammate for that reference, and I'm wondering whether that's acceptable. That seems sort of strange to me since I'm used to references needing to be from people not in my peer group, ie authority figures of some sort. On the other hand it would make sense since my teammates know me better than anyone else, and a lot of the OCS grade is based on peer evals. Anyone have any advice?

"Peace on earth to men of goodwill. All others stand by."

tali264

I'm not a marine, but I think a peer reference is good if you have all your other bases covered. If an equal can look at you and see a leader, someone who is part of a team, who is fair, gets along with most people, and earns the respect of everyone else. I think that says a lot about a person. Anybody can be on their best behavior around a boss or professor. But to have somebody who sees a completely different side of you recommend you is worthwhile. Just pick someone who is intelligent and who doesn't give the impression that just because they're your friend they'll say anything for you.

rambling now ceased
spin_125.gif

ghost_ttu

Unfortunately I will contradict Miss Tali, and say that a Col. in the AF told me not to use peers for the simple reason that the board will view the letter as a buddy writing whatever it takes and dismiss the letter, no matter how sincere and accururate it might be. I suggest you get a pastor, another instructor, if you have a friend of the family that is an officer, a high school teacher/principal, any friend of the family that might be of social importance (ie Judge, Sherriff, Mayor, business owner) I would look more along those lines, I think the peer letter will be more of a waist of a letter.

Eliminate distractions, focus on your goals and visualize what you hope to accomplish.

tali264

That's why I said the person has to be inteligent......etc. But you can contradict me if you'd like...we all know I'm the wiser of the two of us (unless we're going by age)
tongue_125.gif

ghost_ttu

Tali, I suggest you stand down, we both know in a battle of wits with me, you have no ammunition.

Eliminate distractions, focus on your goals and visualize what you hope to accomplish.

dvl_dog_2531

What do the reference forms currently look like? I applied to OCC for the summer of '01 and a friend showed me the form he received from my OSO. Basically it was a multiple choice type deal where you rate the person from 1-4 on various traits. There was no written section or area for any personal comments whatsoever. Not sure what the other recs (prof, employer, etc.) might have looked like or if they were different at all.

esday1

He'll dazzle you with terms like "Code Red."
That's basically what mine looks like, although it's "inferior" to "superior" rather than a numberical assessment, and there's a very brief section for a written evaluation- just enough room for a short paragraph, really. They all looked the same except for the Dean's letter, which had a couple of additional questions in the comments section.

"Peace on earth to men of goodwill. All others stand by."

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
Alright, need some help. I have six reference sheets to hand out to the dean of students, two professors, an employer, and 2 'other'. Who did you guys get to use for your 'other'? I've heard that prior military people are good to have, but most of the prior military people that I know, and aren't in my family, don't know me as well as ,say, my youth pastor or a teacher in high school. What should I do? Thanks.

Sins

You have a coach? Kung-Fu sensei? Even a family lawyer or your pediatrician. "John Smith, Esquire" and "John smith, PHD" sound good. Clergy is also good bc they are so damned moral. HS teacher/principal is good bc they can say that they have known you a number of years. And if you can't think of anyone else, ask your parents to help, maybe you'll get something from dad's boss or mom's OBGYN (who delivered you).
"How long have you known the applicant? Since birth"

On a side-note, my OSO told me not to overestimate the importance of these letters. Whatever that means.

NavyWannabe

FWIW, My letters of recommendation covered a wide range:
1. Former Boss (superior's evaluation)
2. Co-worker (team member's evaluation)
3. Manager of a NFP that I did work for (shows community service and also a superior's evaluation)
4. College Professor/Mentor former cop and State Dept. Experience
5. Brother-in-law who is a Corrections Officer - I asked my brother-in-law for the eval because of his civil service status and because of his experience of what it takes to be the member of a team where decisions may mean life or death.

I doubt that any of these hurt me as I got my pro rec.

Daedalus

Hmmmmm, what about a Marine Chaplin that was my instructor priest as an altar boy? Would that be too long ago to warrant a reccomendation? That was when I was in 8th grade and he has been in the Marines for awhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.