• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Redesignation / Lat transfer after Med DQ from flying

navypilot555

Navy pilot
Hi,
Curious to hear from anyone who has PERS / aviation detailing experience, about what could be following a potential med DQ from flying as a junior LT O-3, midway through 1st sea tour. I know there are a ton of shore tour options that are non flying, but unsure whether they are eligible for those unable to finish their first sea tour flying. Going off MILPERSMAN 1610-020 , one would receive 130x designator and be eligible to lat transfer (POCR?). Curious about how career progression would go, or if they would assign 130x GENAV designation indefinitely and what billet that could be for an O-3?

MGoBrew11

pilot
I’m sorry you’re dealing with this.

You should really try to lat transfer if you desire to stay in. Look at AEDO, PAO, Intel, LEP and whatever you can. 130x is a dead end and you will likely not promote after doing rough boat company jobs.

Is medical retirement an option?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Disclaimer: My knowledge is from a non-13XX standpoint but with a good background of MyNavy HR/PERS experience.

Assuming you will be NPQ/no waiver you ought to browse the POCR section on the MyNavy HR website:

It goes through eligibility and even YG availability for other communities.

It’s my understanding NPQ aviators are afforded the opportunity to either pursue POCR or apply for a lateral transfer (if > 6 YCS) to other communities that could use their skill sets.

I would also lean on your chain of command for guidance as well.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
I'm not familiar with POCR, but you definitely want to go to the MyNavyHR page for AEDO and the lat xfer board. Last I heard we're not taking POCR folks (I thought this was a process for people who fail to make 3710-required quals), but I know we've taken 1300s, because your redes to 1300 means your winging MSR no longer applies.

navypilot555

Navy pilot

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
Out of curiosity, what are the billets / jobs that those 1300s do / did as GENAV?
My knowledge is limited, but in general you're going to a hot fill somewhere that's coded for 1300 or 1000, maybe 1050, whatever requires a line officer, but not med-up aviator.

I've seen two people who failed to make HAC or DORed who went to the DC area to fill HR jobs until lat xferred or processed out.

Your best bet is to email the AEDO Community Manager. I can't think of a better place for an aviator who wants to stay Navy but can't fly.

MGoBrew11

pilot
not sure if less than 6 YCS means I must go to POCR or I can Lat transfer, and if AEDO will take POCR In the future (shows on website as no in-quota for FY23, but maybe next?)
Which leads to me to wonder if im SOL if you have <6 YCS and hope for AEDO?

Out of curiosity, what are the billets / jobs that those 1300s do / did as GENAV?
I had one buddy that had some medical issues on his instructor tour and it was determined he wasn’t going to be able to fly again. PERS started to detail him to ships for jobs like TAO, A-Strike etc. He stiff armed them and ended up getting a medical retirement.

Also saw some folks not make HAC in the fleet. One transferred to PAO and one to AMDO.

Sorry man, that’s about the extent of my experience/knowledge. Definitely call the community managers that you’re interested in at PERS and see what your options are. Hopefully your front office helps you get what you want.

thump

pilot
I’ve seen two Fleet non-HACs get picked up for EDO in the past year. Not AEDO, but Gantt charts are Gantt charts.

Table stakes were engineering undergrad, wings, and half a sea tour. Good LOR from your skipper out the door helps.