• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Redesignated to IW community

shotcalla10

what percent of RL officers get jets?
wats up guys. i'm going into my 8th week here in Navy OCS in Newport. So I did get NPQed for naval aviation and I was without a designator for few days. It was tough news at first but I requested a redesignation because I still want to be a Naval Officer (OCS brainwashed me). I got my redesignation to Information Warfare within literally day and a half of the request. So what I wanna know now is... IF i even have a choice for my first duty station, where would you guys recommend? even if I don't have a choice, can you guys still tell me which locations are good between Hawaii, San antonio, Ft. Gordon, Colorado Springs, Baltimore? Anyone know about being stationed in England for IW? and flight duty as well... i know it's alot of questions but since i'm at OCS and don't have THAT much time to come and post here, I wanted to squeeze as much info as I can. thanks for all your help.

utak

my old roommate from OCS got NPQ'ed from pilot, and there were no NFO spots at that time, so he got IW. He couldn't go home cause he was BDCP. He went to Hawaii and he totally loves it

Goob83

None
I am glad you got the designation out of the way. If you want to OHARP here just ask and I will take care of you.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Congrats on the redes, shotcalla! Glad to see you take this in stride and keep going toward your commission. MANY lesser people would have DORed after NPQ. Good on you.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
You can alway get some flights if you work on a CV or are a squadron Intel O. I think you made a very good decision.

Ailen

Texas is a pretty decent location. Housing is pretty inexpensive, the weather is nice and you're relatively close to a lot of things (SA/Riverwalk of course, Austin, Dallas, South Padre, etc.). A lot of military presence in the area from Lackland AFB, Randolph AFB and Fort Sam Houston also.

shotcalla10

what percent of RL officers get jets?
thanks guys! yea i'm leaning towards hawaii... but i hear great things about all the other duty stations for IW. I would definitely wanna do a flight duty sometime later in my career. thanks phrog'sshoewife, i'll PM you if i have more questions. I'm at an internet cafe right now... FIRST on-base liberty!

MrSaturn

Contributor
thanks guys! yea i'm leaning towards hawaii... but i hear great things about all the other duty stations for IW. I would definitely wanna do a flight duty sometime later in my career. thanks phrog'sshoewife, i'll PM you if i have more questions. I'm at an internet cafe right now... FIRST on-base liberty!

Come to the islands. If you like the outdoors you wont regret it.

dsc0389mt4.jpg

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You can alway get some flights if you work on a CV or are a squadron Intel O. I think you made a very good decision.

He's not going to Intel so squadron Intel O isn't in the cards

Arkad

If it means anything to you, Hawaii is the only of the Big Four where you can have a reasonable expectation of doing two tours back to back...NIOC HI followed by a ship out of Pearl.

ENSs traditionally get lost in MD...too big!

TX wins from a QOL standpoint (purely my perspective).

No NIOC is supporting the war to the level they are in GA.

My advice is to stay away from MD as a first tour (great command for LTs and up) and that you win with any of the other three. Don't let them send you to anywhere other than the Big Four...you'll be playing catch up down the road.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If it means anything to you, Hawaii is the only of the Big Four where you can have a reasonable expectation of doing two tours back to back...NIOC HI followed by a ship out of Pearl.

ENSs traditionally get lost in MD...too big!

TX wins from a QOL standpoint (purely my perspective).

No NIOC is supporting the war to the level they are in GA.

My advice is to stay away from MD as a first tour (great command for LTs and up) and that you win with any of the other three. Don't let them send you to anywhere other than the Big Four...you'll be playing catch up down the road.

Great advice and even better Avatar!

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
Congrats and good on you for staying the course, so to speak.

My package was just submitted for the board. SNA, SNFO, SWO - but I kinda wish I applied IW instead of SWO. I don't think I'd get in though.

Anyway, keep us posted. Good luck!

flopper

my old roommate from OCS got NPQ'ed from pilot, and there were no NFO spots at that time, so he got IW. He couldn't go home cause he was BDCP. He went to Hawaii and he totally loves it

I thought if you didn't physically qualify for what you signed up for you had an out for BDCP?

MasterBates

We did back when I was there. They would try to get you to do something else. But you could pack up and go home if NPQ.

My plan was stay if NPQ for Pilot, but PQ for NFO, and bail otherwise. Call me what you will, but I wanted to fly, and being a Nuke did not appeal to me.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I thought if you didn't physically qualify for what you signed up for you had an out for BDCP?

AFAIK, it used to be that way, but when I was there, there was DEFINITELY one BDCP guy I know who was NPQ, couldn't find an NFO slot, and ended up SWO....it happens.