• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Red Bull Air Race Recovery

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
He was trying to steer clear of an airliner before he ejected.
He wasn't steering anything - he was along for the ride. There also wasn't an airliner on the runway or even near him.

OK.....ready for the next uninformed idle speculation from the peanut gallery.....Buller?

Pariel

He wasn't steering anything - he was along for the ride. There also wasn't an airliner on the runway or even near him.

OK.....ready for the next uninformed idle speculation from the peanut gallery.....Buller?

27 seconds in, there's a white plane facing the camera. That's the plane he was supposedly trying to avoid, whether he was actually in control of the aircraft or not.

ryan1234

27 seconds in, there's a white plane facing the camera. That's the plane he was supposedly trying to avoid, whether he was actually in control of the aircraft or not.

I didn't/counldn't see anything - I'm not really sure I've heard of flying into the ground to avoid another aircraft.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
I didn't/counldn't see anything - I'm not really sure I've heard of flying into the ground to avoid another aircraft.

Nobody said that. Don't be dense. The story I heard (from somone in Harrierland who supposedly knows FWIW, which may not be much) was that the pilot was afraid he would skid into other planes, and stayed in to try to avoid them. You can see that it looks like he gives it right rudder down the runway and it yaws right as it slides before he ejects.

ryan1234

Nobody said that. Don't be dense. The story I heard (from somone in Harrierland who supposedly knows FWIW, which may not be much) was that the pilot was afraid he would skid into other planes, and stayed in to try to avoid them. You can see that it looks like he gives it right rudder down the runway and it yaws right as it slides before he ejects.

Just from an amateur, dense opinion ... I didn't see the aircraft that the factor he was trying to avoid in the video at the "27 second" mark.

Was he dead sticking in..? It sounded like it spooled up and there was still stores on the aircraft... so I have no idea what happened... just seems a little weird from that camera perspective. I just thought the common practice was to get rid of the stores and eject before you hit the ground if something was really wrong.

Pariel

Just from an amateur, dense opinion ... I didn't see the aircraft that the factor he was trying to avoid in the video at the "27 second" mark.

Was he dead sticking in..? It sounded like it spooled up and there was still stores on the aircraft... so I have no idea what happened... just seems a little weird from that camera perspective. I just thought the common practice was to get rid of the stores and eject before you hit the ground if something was really wrong.

Easiest to see using the pause button, pretty tough to catch as the camera is panning fast. As Treetop said, the Harrier pilot turns the aircraft to the right before ejecting. The aircraft he was trying not to hit is nose towards the camera on the far side of the runway.

The pilot supposedly lost his engine on approach. Unfortunately the forum I was on with the best information has been down for the last 24 hours or so, otherwise I'd link something more useful than my own hearsay.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Easiest to see using the pause button, pretty tough to catch as the camera is panning fast. As Treetop said, the Harrier pilot turns the aircraft to the right before ejecting. The aircraft he was trying not to hit is nose towards the camera on the far side of the runway.

The pilot supposedly lost his engine on approach. Unfortunately the forum I was on with the best information has been down for the last 24 hours or so, otherwise I'd link something more useful than my own hearsay.

Maybe his NWS would have worked better if he were in high gain? :)

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
That white plane is on the ramp, well off the runway and not even close to being hit. The Harrier is skidding on a pod attached to it's belly and directional control would be minimal at best and would quickly be lost as the plane slows (especially with that small rudder). If he was steering, it was to keep it on the runway as that is the safest place for him and instinctual for any pilot. It just happens to also avoid parked aircraft but I doubt he was looking left or right for these, he was just focused straight down the runway. The right turn at the end might have been a conscious decision/rudder kick to turn the plane away from the ramp but it was probably the plane turning itself right as it lost speed/momentum and the right wing lost lift quicker than the left. Further, the right turn doesn't happen until after he was past your white plane.

This guy was mostly along for the ride. Until there was fire and/or the plane started turning off the runway it was probably safer just to ride it out. Add the fire and a turn toward unprepared terrain off the runway and it's now better to get the hell out of Dodge - so he did. I'd be willing to bet he would have punched a lot sooner if either of these tow conditions had occurred earlier, parked aircraft or not.

And yes, this too is all speculation. But I've personally watched 3 similiar incidents in my Navy career and another 4 or 5 belly/off runway landings in my civilian career. I've talked to the pilots and they all say they were mostly "just along for the ride".

yak52driver

Contributor
That white plane is on the ramp, well off the runway and not even close to being hit. The Harrier is skidding on a pod attached to it's belly and directional control would be minimal at best and would quickly be lost as the plane slows (especially with that small rudder). If he was steering, it was to keep it on the runway as that is the safest place for him and instinctual for any pilot. It just happens to also avoid parked aircraft but I doubt he was looking left or right for these, he was just focused straight down the runway. The right turn at the end might have been a conscious decision/rudder kick to turn the plane away from the ramp but it was probably the plane turning itself right as it lost speed/momentum and the right wing lost lift quicker than the left. Further, the right turn doesn't happen until after he was past your white plane.

This guy was mostly along for the ride. Until there was fire and/or the plane started turning off the runway it was probably safer just to ride it out. Add the fire and a turn toward unprepared terrain off the runway and it's now better to get the hell out of Dodge - so he did. I'd be willing to bet he would have punched a lot sooner if either of these tow conditions had occurred earlier, parked aircraft or not.

And yes, this too is all speculation. But I've personally watched 3 similiar incidents in my Navy career and another 4 or 5 belly/off runway landings in my civilian career. I've talked to the pilots and they all say they were mostly "just along for the ride".

I'm with you on this one. I know a pilot that landed gear up, he had a little rudder control right after touch down but it was quickly lost and he was "just along for the ride". As the plane left the runway and headed for trees he was starting to unbuckle to get out (low wing, sliding canopy), but he slid to stop before he was able to.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
....I've personally watched 3 similiar incidents in my Navy career and another 4 or 5 belly/off runway landings in my civilian career. I've talked to the pilots and they all say they were mostly "just along for the ride".

I've waved 3 (three) and flown 1 (one) ... one even got written up in 'APPROACH' ... so if you believe anything -- take it from me -- you're 'just along for the ride' ... :)

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Well, you've got to be half mentally handicapped to fly in those races...that being said, damned lucky to be alive.

I wonder if his wife threatened to finish what that stall started after that little bit of buffoonery?