• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Recuiters Forced to Leave UC Santa Cruz

Lawman

None
Thisguy said:
I was referring to the State College, PA police. Those guys break out the pepper spray on the Penn State students for fun.

Oh ok, I thought you were talking about the recent riot action at some local college (Ill reread the paper tommorow when Im not half drunk) about the police action against a group of violent protesters.

I will admit, it is fun to hit somebody with OC. Kinda like ***** slapping somebody and watching them cry afterward.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Originally Posted by SFGate.com
Four military recruiters hastily fled a job fair Tuesday morning at UC Santa Cruz after a raucous crowd of student protesters blocked an entrance to the building where the Army and National Guard had set up information tables.

Note the reporting source.

You're outnumbered by an uncontrolled crowd. You leave. I agree.
I love the way it is worded to look like we turned tail and ran.

As was stated earlier I respect these recruiters (guys/gals) who did not make a scene by clocking a protestor or two. As was said, baiting the military to create a press photo incident is not beyond the capacity of a group of tree huggers.

esday1

He'll dazzle you with terms like "Code Red."
The indymedia article is hilarious... I love all the slanted word choices and code words they use in the story:

10 female liasons were allowed in to dialogue with the military reps.

How much of a "dialogue" do you think that was? I'm guessing that this "dialogue" consisted of the protestors screaming until they ran out of breath while the recruiters stood patiently with their arms folded. Plus, given that the entire idea of the demonstration was to shut down the recruiters and keep them from getting their message out (as opposed to a true "protest," which would consist of them demonstrating in such a way as to express opposition without directly interfering with the recruiters), it doesn't look like they really wanted a "dialogue."

Once inside, the women liberated many of their pamphlets and DVDs!

I think the author is trying to say that the protestors are misunderstood... they were actually fighting on behalf of innocent brochures and recruiting videos from the tyranny of being kept on a table at the job fair.

two women were assaulted by UC Police Officer Stevens... a rock was allegedly thrown at their SUV.

Spot the contradiction here...

If this guy ever changes his political affiliation, he'll have a great career writing for the Washington Times.(/cheap shot to maintain "liberal" credentials)

NavyLonghorn

We had guys come into the Dobie Mall at UT all the time to try to blockade the recruting offices. Luckily its private property.. trespassing anyone?

RockyMtnNFO

None
Contributor
Man, am I glad that I recruit in Colorado and Wyoming!

I was at Colorado State and University of Wyoming in the last two days and got nothing but respect and cooperation.

The girls wanted to be with me, the guys wanted to be me. (except for a few brainwashed AF Cadets but that is understood)

Bravo to the recruiters for not giving them what they wanted in terms of a violent response. We cannot achieve our goal of manning our military with quality people, by beating up even violent protestors. It is not about us or our pride, it is about mission accomplishment. It is a lot like a big kid getting threatened by a little kid. Even if the little kid strikes first, the big kid gets blamed for pushing the little one around. I would rather get hit with a few rocks and be the victim than clock someone who desperately needs it only to e portrayed in the media as the evil military recruiter picking on the peaceful protestor.

Having said that, I think I will go to Boulder next week and set up outside Ward Churchills office; see if we can establish some "dialogue".

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
esday1 said:
The indymedia article is hilarious... I love all the slanted word choices and code words they use in the story:

How much of a "dialogue" do you think that was? I'm guessing that this "dialogue" consisted of the protestors screaming until they ran out of breath while the recruiters stood patiently with their arms folded. Plus, given that the entire idea of the demonstration was to shut down the recruiters and keep them from getting their message out (as opposed to a true "protest," which would consist of them demonstrating in such a way as to express opposition without directly interfering with the recruiters), it doesn't look like they really wanted a "dialogue."

I think the author is trying to say that the protestors are misunderstood... they were actually fighting on behalf of innocent brochures and recruiting videos from the tyranny of being kept on a table at the job fair.

Spot the contradiction here...

If this guy ever changes his political affiliation, he'll have a great career writing for the Washington Times.(/cheap shot to maintain "liberal" credentials)
Looks like the spirits of Stalin and Goebbels live on. Go Banana Slugs!

Brett

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
RockyMtnNFO said:
Having said that, I think I will go to Boulder next week and set up outside Ward Churchills office; see if we can establish some "dialogue".

Hey, while you're in Boulder, you should hit up a football recruiting party. I hear those can be fun.

Lawman

None
luckechance said:
Anybody ever read Orwell? "All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others."

A lot of the members of the Kent State Anti-War Commision are also members of the Sociolist Revolutionary Army, another of Kents lovely extra-curriculars that you can get involved with (Why the hell dont we have NROTC:confused: ). So the conspiricy theory part of my brain thinks wow.... they know what they are doing long term. But then the rational part of my brain kicks in and realizes these guys are about as forward thinking and intelligent as the 3 stoners from the opening scene in Super Troopers.

"Nobody owns the water.... its gods water...."

Is it ok to be ashamed of my own generation? Just wondering.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
luckechance said:
Anybody ever read Orwell? "All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others."
Awesome book. One of my all-time favorites. Should be required reading before anyone is allowed to vote.

I'm referring to Animal Farm for those who don't know.

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
Similar to my concept of "All animals are edible, but some are more tasty than others." Equally as unpopular in some California circles.

Try J. Edgar Hoover's Masters of Deceit. Nothing like learning in H.S. how to spot communist subversives. Pretty good book.

HOORAH

Uncle Sam's Misguided Children
Goober said:
Similar to my concept of "All animals are edible, but some are more tasty than others." Equally as unpopular in some California circles.

Try J. Edgar Hoover's Masters of Deceit. Nothing like learning in H.S. how to spot communist subversives. Pretty good book.
HAHA!! Here's one for you!

Old NFO

None
The "funny" part of this is that we (the Navy) send "lots" of $$ to UC Santa Cruz for marine mammal research. I have personally worked with 4 or 5 of their Marine Biology folks over the years, and used to have Grad Students come up to Moffett to work with us.... sigh... Things have changed, and not for the better:(

HOORAH

Uncle Sam's Misguided Children
Old NFO said:
The "funny" part of this is that we (the Navy) send "lots" of $$ to UC Santa Cruz for marine mammal research. I have personally worked with 4 or 5 of their Marine Biology folks over the years, and used to have Grad Students come up to Moffett to work with us.... sigh... Things have changed, and not for the better:(
Well maybe the Navy should reasses that and cut off funding. Why support a program that won't support you back? There are plenty of other schools that would love to get funding for a program. They need to learn not to bite the hand that feeds them.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Maybe we need to send these guys over

PulpFiction.jpg