• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Recruiter told me not to mention drug use? - 2 Parter

abh99

Two things:

First, a concern that's come up is during my initial interview, I told my recruiter that I had experimented, twice, with steroids. Now, if you looked at me you never would've thought it. I'm 5'9 160lbs and in great shape, but by no means a meathead. He basically told me that he'd forget that I even mentioned it and that I shouldn't mention it again.

If I were to hide that, that kind of thing would eventually come out, esp. if I go Intel and need a Top Secret Security Clearance. I have to make it known that I've done that and if I'm DQ'd, then I'm DQ'd. Am I right?

Second, can anyone tell me if minor (less than 5 times) Marijuana use and experimentation with steroids can be waivered? Will that DQ me for Intel? Or as an officer completely? I know people get waivers for felony charges so I can't imagine I couldn't get a waiver for this, but it's still a concern.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Holy Shit!!! I have NEVER heard of an officer recruiter being so bold as to suggest an applicant lie about drug use. You are very right to be concerned that that could come back to you and it would NOT be a good thing! That recruiter is trouble. He has no ethics. He isn't concerned about the Navy he has a hand in manning and he darn sure isn't worried about you. He knows that it could and likely would come back to hurt you. MJ use as you have admitted is not a problem. Steroid use was not a issue when I was recruiting so I can't say for sure. I hope one of the active recruiters or fedoc will answer up for you. I would bet minor use in the past (how distant I can't guess) would be waiverable. Your first instincts are correct. It says alot about you and you should be proud. Be honest. The key is "experimentation" in the past and repudiation of future use.

abh99

I knew it was shady, just wanted confirmation I suppose. Like I said, I'd rather be honest and be DQ'd, then it come back to bite me in the ass. Plus I can't imagine trying to hide ANYTHING, eventually you'll fack up and it'll get ya. He does seem to be a 'typical' recruiter in that he's just concerned with the numbers. Especially because I told him I was interested in Intel, and then told him my major/minor and GPA, he immediately starts talking Nuke.

And thank you for your compliment. I think good character is one of the best things you can having going for yourself. Everyone facks up from time to time and does stupid things, but if ya lie about it then you can't be trusted.

And for the record, I used them twice, 5 years ago and a year ago (unfortunately). It was a dumbfack thing to do and I regret it for many reasons, I just hope that I can get it waivered.

Anyone have any info on the second part of my initial post?

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Holy Shit!!! I have NEVER heard of an officer recruiter being so bold as to suggest an applicant lie about drug use. You are very right to be concerned that that could come back to you and it would NOT be a good thing! That recruiter is trouble. He has no ethics. He isn't concerned about the Navy he has a hand in manning and he darn sure isn't worried about you. He knows that it could and likely would come back to hurt you. MJ use as you have admitted is not a problem. Steroid use was not a issue when I was recruiting so I can't say for sure. I hope one of the active recruiters or fedoc will answer up for you. I would bet minor use in the past (how distant I can't guess) would be waiverable. Your first instincts are correct. It says alot about you and you should be proud. Be honest. The key is "experimentation" in the past and repudiation of future use.

Wink, I have heard from more than one person about recruiters recommending that applicants lie. Wrong and showing a lack of integrity, sure. But I have heard it from a few, Marine Corps too.

Aircrew Instruc

None
He basically told me that he'd forget that I even mentioned it and that I shouldn't mention it again.

Are Barry Bonds or Roger Clemens now recruiters?:icon_tong If you tell the truth people usually understand and appreciate it if you lie watch your 6. My advice is to just man up and see what happens.

Goob83

None
Well with a biology degree Your chances of INTEL are slim or slim to none. HOW DO YOU KNOW THE drug dealer you bought the steroids from was not dealing B12. The deal with MARY JANE Is no more than 5 times in your life for some jobs,but i have not seen anyone accepted listing more than two times. I don't think they even test for steroids. I treat this problem like don't ask don't tell when I see someone I think is using and I have seen many a folk I thought were injecting I wait till they clear meps and I mention to them drugs that are illegal and the policy the navy has on drugs. I say nothing till they pass meps cause I do not want to coach anyone. If some one tells me they have done drugs more than 5 times I tell them 5 times is the limit and MJ only. If other drugs come up or more than 5 times is on MEPS medical form I tell them BYE BYE as will MEPS. If NUKE FOLKS say more than two times they need a waiver and it may not happen. Also I tell everyone within the first 5 minutes the rules on drug use and once I hear the disqualifiying information, I say have a nice day cause it is waste of time to try and put them in. Now when the tell me the did MJ less than 6 months ago I say well it must be greater than 6 months since last use and it better not be more that 5 times in your life come back and see me when the wait has expired. ON A SIDE NOTE many a folks CRACK at meps when they are ask to sign the drug statement. Some one reads them the if you lie statment it is punishable by 10K and some jail time. all kinda things come out when it is time to sign this and some folks even walk out instead of signing. WHEN THIS HAPPENS I just laugh and carry on.
HONESTY IS KEY and EXPERIMENTATION IN A SOCIAL PEER PRESSURE ENVIRONMENT IS THE ONLY ACCEPTABLE xcuse. Bottom line it appears the recruiter is pushing the limits of ethics and you should tell the truth cause it could come back to bite you in the A$$

abh99

This may be due to ignorance, but why would a Biology degree make me a poor candidate for Intel?

milky-f18

loud-mouthed, know-it-all
You will likely need a TS clearance for most any job you do in the Navy. Even guys going on IAs are having to have TS for some jobs. Point is, don't lie about it now. If they find out later for any reason, it will never turn out well for you.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This may be due to ignorance, but why would a Biology degree make me a poor candidate for Intel?
Usually they look for things like Econ, Poli Sci, technical degrees, Intl Relations, maybe languages. Those degrees tend to lend to a better understanding of foreign politics, and affairs, and enemy weapons systems, not to mention our own weapons and their relative strengths. Biology will be a tough sell. But it is all about supply and demand. If you can prove strength in other areas and they need folks, then maybe.

gotta_fly

pilot
I don't think they even test for steroids.

I checked out the google button on the internet machine and it looks like that's right, they can test for it, but only with probable cause. Even if they do, the window is probably way too small for it to matter at this point. If you want more information (unofficial information) check out these links:

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/steroids/49226-military-urinalysis.html

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/theorderlyroom/l/bldrugtests.htm

On an ethical level, you should definitely come clean. It sounds like your head is in the right place on that one already. Best of luck!

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
Have two words, actually four:

Martha Stewart
Roger Clements

Why did Martha go to jail and Roger will probably go to jail? The winner is: Lies when they thought they would never be caught. Martha did nothing illegal nor apparently, did Roger. Al Capone is in the same club: Lied to the IRS about his income. Many, many more got caught in the same trap; lies.

Please do not lie. It is never in your best interest to lie, never.

JFoga97862

Intel is not that selective dudes. I'm a pilot and I'm the Intel O for my squadron, it's one of several jobs I have. I can't see how this could be a full time job for anybody; there's hardly anything to do. Normally we have a dedicated Intel O, money job if you don't like to work...

On the topic of drugs, the SF-86 security questionnaire asks for drug use within 7 years. If you're outside that window then you're clear as far as the SF-86 is concerned. They will ask for references and they will ask those references if they knew you to do drugs. There is no timeframe on that question when it is asked.

This being said, don't lie. Asnwer the questions that are asked. If you lie and they find out, not only will you be in denied a clearance, you may find yourself in legal trouble.

abh99

Usually they look for things like Econ, Poli Sci, technical degrees, Intl Relations, maybe languages. Those degrees tend to lend to a better understanding of foreign politics, and affairs, and enemy weapons systems, not to mention our own weapons and their relative strengths. Biology will be a tough sell. But it is all about supply and demand. If you can prove strength in other areas and they need folks, then maybe.

That's understandable. And I know background counts as far as current knowledge, but I think the propensity and ability to learn can/should be pretty important as well. I guess I can just keep my fingers crossed and see what happens.

I haven't even fully decided to apply, though I'm leaning heavily towards it, I just don't want to get 'stuck' doing something I don't want to do. And I know everyone says, 'it is what you make of it,' but Intel is really what I want to do (with a second pick as SWO), so we'll see.

Personally, I think I'd have a pretty competitive package in most areas:
26yo - no prior experience
3.45 GPA BS in Biology, Minor in Chemistry (with Physics 1-3 and Calc 1-3)
Lots of extracurriculars (sports, science club, orientation leader, etc...)
9/7/8/73 (practice test only, so take with a grain of salt I suppose)
PRT (self-administered, wanted a baseline)
sit-ups: 100
push-ups: 86
run: 9:04

Unfortuantely, I don't come from a technical field, but maybe my ASTB and PRT will compensate for that. And then I'll need some good LORs and personal statement...

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Have two words, actually four:

Martha Stewart
Roger Clements

Why did Martha go to jail and Roger will probably go to jail? The winner is: Lies when they thought they would never be caught. Martha did nothing illegal nor apparently, did Roger. Al Capone is in the same club: Lied to the IRS about his income. Many, many more got caught in the same trap; lies.

Please do not lie. It is never in your best interest to lie, never.

Listen to this man.