• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Recruiter Question

Njc242

Hey guys, I was talking to a friend of mine..alright not really a friend but a military enthusiast like myself and I started up a conversation on how the Marine recruiter and I are gonna talk in school, just so I can get some questions out of the way.

Here is my question.

He says that "if you call or talk to a recruiter you will be put on the future recruitment list, once i hit 18 they can legally draft me"

exact quote I just fixed a couple of spelling issues.

So, I searched on Google, and I searched on here for just about every key word that might show this kind of stuff.

Any thoughts on this, I am not afraid of getting put on this so called "Recruitment list" but I just want to get a answer from a person who knows what they are talking about. So maybe I can rub it in his face that he has no idea what is going on :icon_tong
Thanks for the help!

-Nick

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
You should be signed up for the Selective Service. I believe this is where they draft 18+ old men from. If you talk to a recruiter they might want to (ok probably will) call you after to follow up and possibly call you a lot, but you are not committed to anything. Thats like saying you do a college visit while in high school and then get a bill in the mail for tuition for the upcomming semester. If it turns out that its not what you want, then let the recruiter know you have other plans and if he keeps calling you then tell him to stop. Its not hard.

Edit: and plus if he had spelling errors in that simple sentence, you should conclude that hes probably a moron. :)

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
Bogus info from your 'friend'. You must fill out the selective service form which you can do online or pick one up at the local post office. Its the law when you hit 18. Next time your friend tells you this kind of garbage, tell them the government selects idiots who cannot spell first to 'thin the herd':icon_wink

Gator NFO

former TACAMO NFO
None
Hey guys, I was talking to a friend of mine..alright not really a friend but a military enthusiast like myself and I started up a conversation on how the Marine recruiter and I are gonna talk in school, just so I can get some questions out of the way.

Here is my question.

He says that "if you call or talk to a recruiter you will be put on the future recruitment list, once i hit 18 they can legally draft me"

exact quote I just fixed a couple of spelling issues.

So, I searched on Google, and I searched on here for just about every key word that might show this kind of stuff.

Any thoughts on this, I am not afraid of getting put on this so called "Recruitment list" but I just want to get a answer from a person who knows what they are talking about. So maybe I can rub it in his face that he has no idea what is going on :icon_tong
Thanks for the help!

-Nick

Do ensure you register with the selective service w/in 30 days of your 18th birthday. I read the pasted article below a few days ago about a guy who was fired from the IRS after 18 years of exemplary service because he never registered. I copied and pasted a few paragraphs from the article.

"When he turned 18, Michael B. Elgin Jr. was a homeless father of a toddler, trying to get himself through high school while living with friends, relatives and, sometimes, in his car. Elgin did not know at the time, his lawyer says, but by failing to register for selective military service within 30 days of his 18th birthday, he broke the law.

Last year, Elgin's employer of 18 years, the Internal Revenue Service, fired him, citing a ban on federal employment of men who have not registered, despite his exemplary record and appeals from his supervisors and co-workers.

Men who fail to register for selective service are barred from ever working for federal agencies or receiving federal loans, and, in 35 states, are not allowed to obtain a driver's license, said Dan Amon, a spokesman for the registry. Violators also can be fined up to $250,000 or imprisoned for up to five years, Amon said, but those provisions have not been enforced since the 1980s."

If you want to read the full article, you can try this link
http://www.boston.com/news/local/ar...idnt_register_for_draft_sues_irs_over_firing/

Njc242

great read thanks for the heads up.

And to make myself clear, I knew that the draft was not going on, just this num nuts said so ;)