• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Recruiter not showing up

jtl575s

So I have gotten a little frusturated with the local Marine officer recruiter in my area. The first time I contacted him he told me he would be on campus ALL day the next day...so next day I call his cell phone at around noonish to locate him on campus and he informs me that they only planned on being there from 8am to 11am and he was already on his way back to his office (which is long ways off for me). A couple days later I called him back and we set an exact date and time for him to meet with me, 8am at a specific spot. That day was today, so I got up and was waiting for him at 10 till 8 and then when 0845 rolls around I decide he isnt comming so I head home.
I wouldnt guess this to be normal for a Marine Capt, or should I just be trying to chase him down harder. Any advice?
Thanks

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Maybe you should setup a meeting at his office and go to him. Might be easier and show your actually interested enough to make the trip.

fencipede

Texas is the Rock
Just be persistent without being annoying. I was given the run-around from a couple different offices, Marine Corps and Navy, and then when I moved for a new job I had to start everything over again. However, I kept making the calls and did my best to visit them (despite the fact that I live three hours away from my selection office) and eventually it worked out. It'll take time, but its worth it. Picked up my pro-rec for Navy this month.

saltpeter

Personally, I would simply call the OSO's office and set myself up to take the ASTB. This shows the recruiter that you not only want to join the military, but that you also have the motivation to prepare for an examination. After you pass the examination, I am sure he/she will be more than willing to discuss any questions you might have.

RivrGuide

Admiral Hartman 4 Life
pilot
IMHO, the runaround is a game a lot of the OSO's play on purpose. I had to drive the sixty+ miles each way to get papers/package in order at least 8 times before i took the asvab.. Some days they would call and tell me I had to come down and sign something that day or else I wouldn't get in, when I'd show up it would be something they had already covered and they would thank me for coming down but tell me I didn't need to be there anymore. I got frustrated, then I got smart and started asking questions (what do you need me to sign?, what else can I take care of today while I'm here at the office?, etc. the games stopped shortly after that, and in submitting my package they mentioned the fact that I didn't complain on the many trips and also that I 'took control of my recruiting process'. They may be testing you to see if you are worth the investment of their time any more than the 100 other guys who came into their office last week.
Just keep at it and learn the ethos of SemperGumby.
Good Luck,
Cheers.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
zippy said:
Maybe you should setup a meeting at his office and go to him. Might be easier and show your actually interested enough to make the trip.
Sorry, but somebody not showing up to a meeting at a prearranged time and place, especially without prior notice, is unprofessional.

KBayDog

Steve Wilkins said:
Sorry, but somebody not showing up to a meeting at a prearranged time and place, especially without prior notice, is unprofessional.

I completely agree.

Also, the argument about it being a "runaround game" to "test you" is a load of crap. Drill Instructors are the ones who get paid to "test" you - not OSOs.

The situation with RivrGuide seems to be more of a lack of communication than anything else. It seems like neither side had their stuff together at first, but it got ironed out in the end. The business of not having paperwork in order, going back and forth, etc. is a bit of an epidemic with military administration (in all fields) - In all cases, do yourself a favor and phone ahead to make sure you have all the required documents, find out how long it will take, etc. Also, do not leave until you are confident that everything that can possibly be done is, in fact, done.

As for getting the runaround by an OSO, recruiter, or anybody else - don't put up with it. Your best bet, if you agree on a time/place to meet, is to call the day before (and/or the morning of) and confirm the time/place with him once again. Remember: Even though you are a 'just' a potential candidate, YOUR TIME IS NO MORE OR LESS VALUABLE THAN HIS!

Carno

Insane
Umm, I wouldn't expect or put up with getting the run around from a Marine captain. If he says he's going to be somewhere, he should be there.

Now, if it was just a mistake or miscommunication or he just couldn't make it then that's different, but giving someone the run around for the sake of "testing" their commitment is bullshit.

jtl575s

So I kinda feel like a jerk now. The captain just called me after getting word from the receptionist that I was there at 8am and it turns out that he was told 8pm and appologized for the mistake. However I am off to meet with him at 8 tonight. Thanks guys

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Steve Wilkins said:

Oh, I agree.