• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Recruiter and age problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.

java

I'm age critical and have read the past posts on age, my question now is this: is is kosher to go outside of my area to work with a recruiter? Months ago I spoke to a local recruiter who was willing to work with my age but has since left (in the mean time I biffed on keeping in touch with this guy) and his replacement just said "tough luck" and hung up the phone when I informed him of my desire to be a marine aviator (of course officer first, don't hound me on that but he also said they still aren't taking ground so aviation is the priority...). The reason I'm asking is I don't want to step on any toes, but I have talked to a recruiter in another geographic area that sounded positive but told me to start with my area first....should I go back to him now, or isn't that kosher?

Thanks for the input.....

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
If the recruiter in your area won't work with youthen by all means go to someone that will. I would also drop a line to the your local recruiters boss telling him that he has a less than motivated rectruiter working for him. Oh, I would do so after you have been accepted by the Corps with the other recruiter. But I would def. go some where else.

Dave

Spin

SNA in Meridian
How "critical" is your age. I just turned 28 last week and my recruiter has told me that it is really not a problem. The waiver does have to go through a general but as long as my PFT is great he said it would be no problem.

Peace,

-Spin

kimphil

Java, can you give us some details about your personal background (sex, precise age, occupation, academics, tatoos, arrest record, prior service, etc.)?

An application for OCS is a lot of work for an OSO to do. If he feels you are a weak applicant, he may not want to even entertain you with the idea that you may get accepted. I'm not defending his behavior, but age is an important factor. You can overcome it if you are otherwise a strong applicant.

However, if you need an age waiver, perhaps the most important factor is your physical fitness. Are you overweight? Can you score a high PFT? The latter and former are issues that can nix any application, regardless of age, but are very important for an older applicant. This may be where your problem lies.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mongol General: ...Conan, what is best in life?
Conan: To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!
Mongol General: That is good.

Taxman2A

War were declared.
Originally posted by java
I'm age critical and have read the past posts on age, my question now is this: is is kosher to go outside of my area to work with a recruiter? Months ago I spoke to a local recruiter who was willing to work with my age but has since left (in the mean time I biffed on keeping in touch with this guy) and his replacement just said "tough luck" and hung up the phone when I informed him of my desire to be a marine aviator (of course officer first, don't hound me on that but he also said they still aren't taking ground so aviation is the priority...). The reason I'm asking is I don't want to step on any toes, but I have talked to a recruiter in another geographic area that sounded positive but told me to start with my area first....should I go back to him now, or isn't that kosher?

Thanks for the input.....

It all comes down to a simple decision. Are you willing to give up your goal in fear of stepping on other people's toes? Tell your new out of area OSO that you tried to start with your local OSO first and why you couldn't, and most likely that squared away officer will take it upon himself to report how nasty your area OSO is to his boss (unless you are on a line, you most likely fall under the same recruiting district). Just remember- you aren't stepping on other people's toes on purpose, this guy put his boot in your way.

java

I'm 30 right now, maybe that's why he said no (?). I don't know what the "absolute" cutoff is. Maybe it's 30 or 31. Physically I'm not in the best shape I've ever been in but it wouldn't take me long to get back to top shape. At this point it's really only the pull-ups that worry me a little bit. Other than that I don't have any other worries: no record, good academics, high test scores, motivated, good work experience, have a PPL, etc. etc. I understand the corps is big on the "whole person" concept. That's the one advantage I see in being older: more outside experience. But also a dissadvantage: maybe fewer years flying (what is the max age limit on staying in a cockpit?), many of my immediate superiors will be younger than me, etc.

I just need to find a recruiter who's willing to work with me, if that's even still possible.

Thanks again....

Taxman2A

War were declared.
Originally posted by java
I'm 30 right now, maybe that's why he said no (?). I don't know what the "absolute" cutoff is. Maybe it's 30 or 31. Physically I'm not in the best shape I've ever been in but it wouldn't take me long to get back to top shape. At this point it's really only the pull-ups that worry me a little bit. Other than that I don't have any other worries: no record, good academics, high test scores, motivated, good work experience, have a PPL, etc. etc. I understand the corps is big on the "whole person" concept. That's the one advantage I see in being older: more outside experience. But also a dissadvantage: maybe fewer years flying (what is the max age limit on staying in a cockpit?), many of my immediate superiors will be younger than me, etc.

I just need to find a recruiter who's willing to work with me, if that's even still possible.

Thanks again....

Well these days PT is everything. The average PFT score of an applicant was 270 for last board, and is most likely only rising with this upcoming board. I saw alot of guys more advanced in age (than the average OCS Candidate) get kicked out because they couldn't hack the running, so you are going to want to make a favorable impression on the board by knocking out your 3 mile run in under 20 minutes. I'm not saying you can't do it, I'm just saying that you saying that you're "not in the best shape" needs to change.

kimphil

Well, if you are an all-around good candidate, at age 30 the biggest issue is your physical fitness. Considering ground slots have been closed (I assume they will reopen in October) and air contracts have been the only way to get into OCS, you will need a high PFT, ironically, higher than a younger candidate you will be competing against.

You will need at least a first class PFT (225). If you can score a perfect PFT (300) then your physical fitness won't be an issue.

Because of the lack of ground slots, almost everyone who wants to go to OCS has been going via air contracts, pushing up PFT averages. A mediocre score won't do it anymore.

In my OSO, the lowest PFT for an OCC air contract applicant, I believe, starts at about 260. The average is approximately 270. Your goal should probably be at least 270. If ground slots reopen this October, air should be less competitive, but I would still shoot for a high PFT.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mongol General: ...Conan, what is best in life?
Conan: To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!
Mongol General: That is good.

hukleberry

Java

I had a 29 and 30 year old in my platoon at OCS. One of them didnt make it in the last week but that was because of academic scores. It can be done, you just have to impress someone. Bust your a$$ and dont give up.

Semper Fi

dvl_dog_2531

I just spoke to my local OSO (Chicago) and he said the CO and CG of his region are not signing age waivers at this time. Just thought you might be interested in this info.

dvl_dog_2531

java, I'm a prior enlisted Marine so I am hoping he's not B.S.ing me. If you find someone who can get you a waiver let me know as I am interested too.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.