• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Recommended boot socks and anything else to avoid blisters

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
^^ I found thorlos to be too thick for me...just caused my feet to sweat alot... not a good thing if you're going on a 12 mile hump and you start feeling something sloshing around in your boot (sweat).

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
thorlo's = also excellent socks.

the needle is to bore a hole through your toenail to relieve the pressure. you heat it, then stick the end on your toenail above the blister, and swizzle it back and forth like you're making a tiiiiiiiiny fire. the heat will cause the hole, the blood will spew forth, and the pain will go away. when you smash your thumb with a hammer, this trick works wonders.

An alternative to the heated needle is the very small diameter drill bit.

snow85

Come on, the FBI would have given him twins!
^^ I found thorlos to be too thick for me...just caused my feet to sweat alot... not a good thing if you're going on a 12 mile hump and you start feeling something sloshing around in your boot (sweat).

uh... which ones did you use? they make at least three varying thickness of SKI socks... :-/

they also make running socks, which are great.... for running.

i've never used either in boots though. anybody?

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
...the absolute best way to treat blisters:

punture near the bottom edge, drain it. take a syringe and fill it with desitin (or plain zinc oxide if you can find it), and inject it into the drainage hole until it completely fills the skin sac. this isn't pastry class-- do not overfill. apply moleskin to entire area, overlapping blister on all sides by about 1/4". to keep moleskin on, apply adhesive called tough skin to area around blister PRIOR to application of moleskin. then, leave moleskin on until it falls off, usually about three days. you may have to repeat this one more time, but that's doubtful.

Good advice. There was always a tube or two of the zinc stuff in the med foot locker on the quarter deck. It seemed to drastically reduce the healing time if used consistantly

MasterHaynes86

I'm gonna take several sticks if i remember to order more... for my rackmate and anyone that is prone to blistering worse than me...

SMILE4BULLETS

1 pr Fox River Military Boot Socks + Body Glide = didn't change socks for the whole of SULE II w/ no blisters. not saying it was smart, but it worked like a mofo.

MasterHaynes86

1) SmartWool Socks
2) Bodyglide on your feet
3) Quality insoles in your boots

End of story.

generally good... u can avoid the insoles if needed, though... Mine raised my feet too much and caused more blisters than it was worth... i ended up shoving them in my ALICE pack in the middle of a night hike... had they not been new and broken in, it might have been a different story, lol

invertedflyer

^^ Be sure to know your feet before you buy insoles, or use the ones that they issue you at OCS (Dr. Scholls). If you have a rigid arch (like myself) you may require soft arch support, not firm (like the ones they issue you). If you run with the wrong arch support it can cause problems. If you're not very flexible make sure to stretch and wear the proper insoles to avoid getting sports injuries such as IT-Band Syndrome (ITBS). ITBS is one of the most common injuries at OCS's BAS... its mostly from just running with the wrong shoes and not stretching (talking from personal experience). If you're in SOCAL SDRI (San Diego Running Institute) will measure your arch as well as analyze the way you run with a certain shoe (treadmill). They'll hook you up with the proper shoe at a decent price. hope this (helps).

-J

livefast

I'm not a fan of Dr. Scholl's insoles--great for the office, bad for the field. They issue you a pair of blue insoles at OCS (not sure what they're called), but the medical staff said they see the least amount of injuries with these insoles. I have tried probably about 10 different insoles, ranging from $8 to $70, and I still think these are the best.

invertedflyer

^^ those are called bio-soles, and are better than Dr. Scholls IMO, but still not as good as others (depending on your arch, running posture, etc.) The best way is to go and get it all measured at a place like SDRI, I know theres other running centers that do it as well.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
We got issued a crappy set of the blue ones. Around week 7 or so I got another pair of biosoles from the boot store in Q-town and they were a lot better. Wish I would have gotten them earlier. My foot got so jacked up that it felt like the left insert was in there and I couldnt even feel the right one.