• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Recent SWO Acceptances or Denials?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bravo14

Hey all, I am just curious to hear whether anyone has recently heard from SWO Boards. I put my package in mid-March. 1st is SWO, 2nd was Supply(denied within 2 weeks-fast huh?) and 3rd is Crypto. Bravo

Road Program

Hangin' on by the static wicks
None
SWO's not looking so good right now for numbers. We're over-manned by somewhere around 1300 junior officers. They'll need to keep fresh bodies coming in, but right now they're just looking for ways to kick people out. I know that non-attains are high on the list.

Just curious here...why is SWO your first choice? If you're deathly afraid of flying I can understand not picking pilot or FO, but other than that it makes no sense to me. If you want to hear what life as a SWO is like, drop me a line...that goes for anyone, btw.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Road Program said:
SWO's not looking so good right now for numbers. We're over-manned by somewhere around 1300 junior officers.

And they are all have their stuff in my stateroom and won't move it... ;)

Road Program

Hangin' on by the static wicks
None
I wouldn't go so far as to say "life sucks" as JO, but then again I'm on a computer at work, so I feel kind of limited in what I can say right now. As far as routine goes....here's my typical day:

6am...command pt
645...shower
740 O'call
and then it just goes downhill from there until I leave around 4 or so in the afternoon.

Throw in various meetings, training, scenarios, time waiting to get messages chopped, and heaven forbid...studying for boards...and it can really turn into a long day.

I joined the Navy to be an Officer first and then chose SWO because I didn't understand the waiver system and that it would have been real easy for me to go NFO out the gate (I have a lat transfer package in). I had visions of being on the bridge, dodging torpedoes, and putting the rudder over hard. What completely blindsided me was the paperwork and the attitude of some people that you're supposed to know it all right from the start...and then they don't really want to take the time to teach you. This website is a great resource; I wish I had learned of it before I went to OCS or got commissioned.

If I sound a little negative about the community, I apologize...I meant for it to be much worse than that. Don't get me wrong, though, I love the Navy and being an Officer. I just wish they treated their people better. I plan to stay in. If nothing else, I hope I can make some changes somewhere down the road...that whole thing about a butterfly flapping its wings in Brazil causing a hurricane in Miami.

Bravo14

Road, Can you offer some more details on day to day? Where are you now? Meetings, training and messages chopped? Sorry, not in on all of the lingo. You are obviously not at sea-but what goes on when you are at sea? What are some specific things you wished you knew before OCS? Do you already have your pin? You can PM if you want. Bravo.

P.S. Anybody else have some thoughts?

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Road Program said:
We're over-manned by somewhere around 1300 junior officers. They'll need to keep fresh bodies coming in, but right now they're just looking for ways to kick people out.

That's a very true statement. I knew many guys on the ABRAHAM LINCOLN (General aviation types, but were certainly doing SWO type work) that got the boot. And a few of them were pretty squared away guys that wanted to stay in the navy.

I submitted my letter (Release from Active Duty request) about 4 weeks ago (Mar 26 is when it went into the mail) to be released in September. Normally, BUPERS wants your letter between 9 and 12 months in advance of when you want out. However, my detailer suggested that if I was going to ask for next December or January, I would have a very good shot of getting a release date in September approved (if that's what I wanted). On April 30th, I had separation orders waiting for me in my message traffic. For whatever reason, BUPERS got incredibly efficient all of a sudden.

Daedalus

Steve, can you tell why you are leaving, does "release from active duty" mean out of the Navy, or just to reserves, or something else? Thanks

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Daedalus said:
Steve, can you tell why you are leaving, does "release from active duty" mean out of the Navy, or just to reserves, or something else? Thanks

Short and sweet reason is that I'm pretty much burned out. Even tranferring to another community doesn't appeal to me anymore. So it's time to move on and try my hand at being a civilian for a change. I still plan to remain in the reserves, but I may even delay that for a few months until I get transitioned and settled.

Since officers don't have an end of obligated service date, a release from active duty request is the formal means by which USNR officers (non augmented) request to get out of the navy. Augmented officers (USN) must put in a resignation letter to leave the navy.

Status
Not open for further replies.