• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Recent Selections

Status
Not open for further replies.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Patmack, that's the dumbest idea in aviation training since...well...since MPTS in the first place, but before that, probably since getting rid of the API O-course. How well a student does on his first few flights dictates where he'll go for the rest of his career? That's asinine.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Any idea when that'll go into effect? I heard the new syllabus was already being used, but I didn't know they were doing platform selection that fast. More specifically, will it affect me classing up for API late March/early April-ish? On a second note, if people with prior hours are getting accelerated through FAMs as I've heard sometimes happens, how will this shake out platform selection if FAMs now affect that? I'll have about 50 and (hopefully) a PPL by the time this grad school gig ends and I class up.

beau

Damnit......the gueine pig times of Naval Aviation.....oh well. It's either going to work out better or worse as it always seems. Just hope it doesnt kill anyone in the long run!!!

bluesmobile

P-3 copilot
pilot
Hmm...one of the reasons for going to MPTS, as they explained it to us back in API, is that under the old system, people would select jets, struggle with instruments, then wash out of the jet pipeline. The new system is designed to make the old intermediates a part of the primary NSS, meaning you have to well in instruments to even get to the jet pipeline, which should lower the attrition rate. At least that's what they told us during death-by-powerpoint day.

With that said, it doesn't make sense to pick platforms so early, seems like it would just drive the attrition rates up. I'm sure they'll evaluate how us guinea pigs do over the next year or so, then figure out their next move.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
Originally posted by nittany03
On a second note, if people with prior hours are getting accelerated through FAMs as I've heard sometimes happens...

There are Studs here in 27 and 28 with 300+ hours and their Comm and Inst tickets and they aren't accelerated. The only Studs I've seen accelerated here have been prior NFO's and a guy with 1500 hrs that was CFI & CFII.

Yeah, I also think thats crazy about this new system. After Fams the whole idea is being safe for solo, which means you could handle any EP and land the plane safely. I don't think thats enough time to develope someone into a ****-hot pilot. It wasn't until Forms that I felt super confident about my airwork. Maybe thats just me... but I thought I was doing good in Fams holding +/- 75' and +/- 10K which is considered within course training standards (CTS) which means you'll get good grades if you stay within those parameters. Forms, if you're more than 5' off Alt or 5K off airspeed, you're just screwing your Wing, and your grades for "Dash-2 Consideration" or lack there of.
My point being, Forms makes someone's good airwork better.

virtu050

P-8 Bubba
pilot
the way i heard it at a safety standdown from our CO was that they would weed out people who did poorly on FAMS from doing forms. Basically people who had no chance of getting jets. he mentioned nothing about "selection" for jets immediately after FAMS.

BigWorm

Marine Aviator
pilot
Originally posted by virtu050
the way i heard it at a safety standdown from our CO was that they would weed out people who did poorly on FAMS from doing forms. Basically people who had no chance of getting jets. he mentioned nothing about "selection" for jets immediately after FAMS.

Sweet! So it will be like a gauntlet? Last man standing? Perhaps they will have one jet slot, and then a final aerobatic fly-off for it at the end. Or better yet, a NATOPS contest – kind of like those spelling b’s or whatever from back in grade school.
Just out of curiosity Dave, this is the syllabus coming after us right? I haven’t been paying attention to much outside the sim building. They seem to do what they want anyway, I got to put my balls on the top of the canopy in cruise forms, but a lot of people don’t get to do them nowadays – that sucks!

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
Yeah, I'm guessing they're talking about a new syllabus for the future.

I missed the Cruise Form block by one week. Oh well....

Spelling B......I like that!

Beetle

quickandsure

bigmouth_125.gif
E5B. Hate to ask this, but you mentioned former NFO's as SNA's. How often does this happen?

Another self serving question to the forum: Have heard that if you ace NFO training (term used), you have the option of going back SNA. Know that sounds dumb but ... oh well.

My timing was off, so i took NFO.

JKD

From what I've read on other posts, you can apply to do this after you complete a sea tour as a NFO. The number of slots are very limited, and it depends on if the Navy needs Aviators at your specific rank, but it can happen.

If you search some of the old posts, there are pretty length discussions about the topic.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
There are two NFO retreads in our Sqdrn: a Marine 18 guy, and Navy S-3 guy, both are 0-3's. The Marine finished with a 79 NSS and, suprise suprise, got jets. The S-3 guy is still in Fams.

1W2gtH

I dont know, I seems to me, whatever the syllubus(sp?) ends up being, you should just do your best for the best score no matter what platform you want.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
Originally posted by superhornet2008
I dont know, I seems to me, whatever the syllubus(sp?) ends up being, you should just do your best for the best score no matter what platform you want.

There's a new idea...

awtoll

To my understanding you will complete primary minus the last two PA flights (4601/2) and minus dynamic forms. You will then select. If you select jets you'll go back and complete those flights you skipped. You are not geared for a certain pipeline right after FAMs.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
Yeah, thats exactly what I heard. I completed 4601/2, but as I was doing Forms the word was passed that only Jet Seletee's will go back and complete the Cruise Form block. Really the 4500 and 4600 blocks are the same, the only difference is that MIF on the 4600 block for Split-S and Immelmann are 3 instead of a 2, plus combination maneuvers are a required (plus'ed) item.

Status
Not open for further replies.