• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Receiving Commission from a Family Member

Status
Not open for further replies.

aeronerd

Hummer guy
I've heard that if you have an officer in the family, they can commission you at a private ceremony, just before the class ceremony. Is this true? If so, can the officer be retired? My uncle is a retired LCDR and I would like to include him, if possible.

Thanks.

rare21

pilot
Contributor
anyone that is or was a commissioned officer in the military is allowed.

gnorman911

Is that allowed even if the officer only served the minimum, and did not retire with 20 years? My dad was left the navy as Lt. after 4 years, could he commision me?

rare21

pilot
Contributor
i believe it is, if its not different for OCS from ROTC, one of my buddies was commissioned by her father an ex Army Captain with only 4 and a half years in.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
It is allowed in P-Cola. My buddy was an OCS guy, his old man was a retired O-6, and commissioned my boy before the group ceremony.

Any military officer, 20 yrs or 4 yrs in, can commission someone. I did it as an Ensign for a couple of ROTC buddies.

My grandfather (retired USMC O-6) did mine. Great stuff, especially glad to have it on video now.

gnorman911

Excellent information, thanks... Just wondering if there is anything I have to do to make that happen. Do I have to tell someone at OCS that I am going to it that way? Also, does my dad need a uniform, just don't want to do it the wrong way. I know it is a ways off, but it would really be great, and it would mean allot to my Dad. Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.