• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Really??: Ten Thousand Feet and Ten Thousand Miles (A UAV Article)

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This article by a USAF UAV pilot. The article discusses UAV combat risks as well as how being a UAV pilot driving to work is as dangerous as working in a combat zone.

I'm not really sure why this guy jumped the boat from AC-130's to UAVs, but he's definately swallowed a lot of UAV Koolaid.

Is this the way of the future?

Enjoy!

-ea6bflyr ;)

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That was an awfully long way to say, "Pred guys are TOO combat pilots!" But I guess that's the USAF for you.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
I wouldn't have thought it possible that somebody could argue for air medals for in-conus UAV pilots without sounding like a douche. And this article sure didn't change my mind.

Having said that, I'm not sure the strike flight air medals really have the same cachet they used to, I have no green ink in my logbook, and I only have single action air medals, so maybe I should downgrade my opinion to "meh."

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
While I appreciate the arguement about Combat Responsibility, there is no self-risk when "flying" an UAV.
The author mentions a big-wing bomber flying at altitude out of range of threats. However, if that bomber has an engine fire and crashes on landing, the crew is in trouble.
If a Predator has an engine fire or crashes on landing, the pilot is still in New Mexico.

I don't think you can subsitute a sign over a door saying "You are entering CENTCOM AOR" as anything remotely close to actually being in CENTCOM AOR. There may be very little threat in Qatar, but you are still deployed to a combat zone and not going home to your family every night.

If the Air Force feels there needs to be a recognition for outstanding performance for operating a UAV in a combat situation, then he may have a point. The pilot is bringing a unique skill set to bear to defeat an enemy. However, to say that they should get the same award as a pilot who is actually in the aircraft flying over an active combat zone is a bridge too far for me.
Do they deserve a Bronze Star? Maybe, I'm still undecided on that. I've seen plenty of folks, to include lots of Navy folks who have never set one foot on dry land (other than maybe a port call in Bahrain) that get a Bronze Star, so maybe they should/could be elligible for that award.
But, the AM and DFC should be reserved for folks who are actually putting themselves in harms way.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
This has to be one of the most self-congratulatory pieces of mental masturbation I've ever read. If I had the time, I'd seriously consider writing in to the AF magazine and give them my .02, but I have to actually, you know, deploy to combat shortly... again.

No one argues that UAV/UAS/RPA/Whatever-you-want-to-call-yourself-this-week are providing necessary combat support, but to imply that they assume the same risks as manned aircraft operating over hostile territory is absurd and downright delusional. If your Pred loses link, the odds that you wind up in an orange jumpsuit on Al Jazeera are nonexistent. No one is lobbing 107mm rockets at Tonopah or March AFB and driving to work under the illusion of some Chicken Littleesque terrorism threat is not the same thing.

I'm sorry Major, you're wrong and no tactical aviator with a shred of self-respect will ever cede that point. Despite the lack of a viable anti-air threat, mechanical failures and other factors are still inherent dangers to manned tactical aviation. And with those risks come the 'rewards' of calling yourself a combat aviator.

Having dealt with Preds and Reapers as both a pilot in Iraq and terminally-controlled them multiple times as a FAC in Afghanistan, there is still a noticeable difference between controlling them vice controlling a manned asset, and I think you would be hard pressed to find a JTAC who would prefer MQs over traditional CAS platforms in a dynamic environment. Yes, 14 hrs TOS is nice, but when things get heated and the tempo picks up, I'd much prefer a reliable, real-time radio link with someone exposed to generally the same environment as me and not a chat room full of analysts second-guessing me.

At the end of the day, you hand over the controls to another operator, drive home, crack open a beer, and fuck your wife, while we have to call in another airstrike or medevac, go back to our can/tent/mud hut on a radio tether, and count the days till we get to do the same. So in summation, [redacted].

/Enough tirade for now. Sorry, but things like "knowing your role" is a sore spot for me. It's ok to be a supportING element and not have it be glamorous. It's necessary.

Junkball

"I believe in ammunition"
pilot
Could hardly make it through the entire paper. He must be drowning in koolaid

PhrogLoop

Adulting is hard
pilot
His words: "Combat Responsibility includes Combat Risk." Too bad he tripped over his own logic when he asserted that the UAV operator's drive to work is as dangerous as a TACAIR pilot taking ground fire. You cannot make this shit up.

Pags

N/A
pilot
His words: "Combat Responsibility includes Combat Risk." Too bad he tripped over his own logic when he asserted that the UAV operator's drive to work is as dangerous as a TACAIR pilot taking ground fire. You cannot make this shit up.
I think I saw that on a safety poster once. I guess we should all get Driving Medals with devices for the number of times we've all safely commuted to work. There could be an isntruction that gives you more points depending on where you commute to and from. Or maybe a single action Driving Medal for making it safely to work during a NS Norfolk Ice Storm.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Or maybe a single action Driving Medal for making it safely to work during a NS Norfolk Ice Storm.

Ohhhhh, you do that and you'd better have an award for the people who stayed home. Maybe with an optional bottle device awarded for properly stocking up on storm supplies. Superior judgment so as not to have to use superior skill, time-critical ORM and all that :p

Pags

N/A
pilot
Ohhhhh, you do that and you'd better have an award for the people who stayed home. Maybe with an optional bottle device awarded for properly stocking up on storm supplies. Superior judgment so as not to have to use superior skill, time-critical ORM and all that :p
You don't get Air Medal points for cancelling your flight and you don't get Driving Medal points for working from home.