• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Really stupid questions about life as a SWO and anything else not aviation related [mod dog wuz hərə]

IRfly

None
I guess since it's not permanent I wouldn't mind going wherever the ship I want to be on is located. Out of curiosity have you heard anything about the base in Italy?

<disclaimer> This gouge is only as a result of being embarked as NAVEUR staff and chatting with the local SWObies on the MTW <end disclaimer>

There are SWOs (and therefore SWO billets) on the USS Mount Whitney, stationed in Gaeta, Italy. Great town. Seems like most of them were LTs on the Department Head tours. MTW is mostly civilian-crewed.

BackOrdered

Contributor
I'm sorry I made a mistake in my question. After the first 2 years, when I am no longer attached to the first ship, I choose/get placed on another ship, which may have a different home port correct?

It depends on the detailing picture. You will be presented a list of ship at all the common homeports and you can pick which ever you'd like, assuming the list is current and someone else didn't pick your ship. If you are patient and follow the system as intended, you can go anywhere you want assuming it is available.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you want to go to sea (and you want to be a SWO, so you should) go to Japan.

Having talked to quite a few SWOs the ones who had been in Japan almost all liked it, the few that didn't usually had a pretty bad ship/CO or were just plain weird.

JamesL37

Finish your first or second sea tour, then ask for it. It's a one or two time gig for a SWO, not a career path.

Thanks for the information! What sort of ships should I go for to get small craft? As for getting ships as SWO, what sort of factors determine it? If I can speak Japanese, does that make me more likely for Yokosuka or Sasebo?

Pags

N/A
pilot
Having talked to quite a few SWOs the ones who had been in Japan almost all liked it, the few that didn't usually had a pretty bad ship/CO or were just plain weird.
We spent 8-9mo a year underway. None of our first tour SWOs had any trouble completing their quals as there was ample opportunity for every type of special evolution. Also, a good amount of port calls in some exotic locations.

I'd highly recommend a Japan tour to anyone. I loved my time over there, it ws a fantastic culture and an amazing opportunity to be exposed to it for an extended period of time. There were some people who hated it, but they were in the minority.

BigRed389

None
Thanks for the information! What sort of ships should I go for to get small craft? As for getting ships as SWO, what sort of factors determine it? If I can speak Japanese, does that make me more likely for Yokosuka or Sasebo?

Doesn't really matter what ship you go to as long as you do well. Speaking Japanese (somewhat oddly) won't help in picking homeport. When you graduate, at ship selection time, there's a list that's pulled together based on all the jobs that will be opening up on ships. Your ranking at your commissioning source determines when you get to pick. So it's a combination of what's available for your class, what your class ranking is, and what people ahead of you want.

I'd highly recommend a Japan tour to anyone. I loved my time over there, it ws a fantastic culture and an amazing opportunity to be exposed to it for an extended period of time. There were some people who hated it, but they were in the minority.

Those weirdos belong in Norfolk.

Last edited:

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
I guess since it's not permanent I wouldn't mind going wherever the ship I want to be on is located. Out of curiosity have you heard anything about the base in Italy?

The USS MOUNT WHITNEY is a second-tour DIVO ride billet as are any squadron/fleet/staff jobs in Gaeta or Naples or Sig. Now, if you want to get over to Europe as a first tour DIVO, we'll be sending some ships over to Rota, Spain, which is a great deal. Rota is a great place to be.

BigRed389

None
Hey now I liked Norfolk... well parts of it. I'd go back to where I lived without complaint though.

Yeah, it's not so much that it's that bad as that there's much better options out there...and unless you suck or have special circumstances, you get a fair shot at going to whatever homeport you want. If not on the first tour, then definitely the second.

Joshua Baker

I have commandeered my husband's profile to ask a question. I have tried to search for the answer on my own, but to no avail, and the hubby is deployed so I can't ask him. Can someone actually list the possible ports for a SWO OCS graduate for their first tour? Trying to plan out our lives with four kids is difficult enough, but not even knowing the possibilities makes it next to impossible! TIA!

BackOrdered

Contributor
I have commandeered my husband's profile to ask a question. I have tried to search for the answer on my own, but to no avail, and the hubby is deployed so I can't ask him. Can someone actually list the possible ports for a SWO OCS graduate for their first tour? Trying to plan out our lives with four kids is difficult enough, but not even knowing the possibilities makes it next to impossible! TIA!

Off the top of my head mind you, others can feel free to add:

Norfolk
San Diego
Yoko
Pearl
Mayport
Sasebo
Everret
Guam

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I never heard of anyone not liking Japan. Even the married SWOs. Don't know if I would have done it married, but I would have if I was single.