• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Really stupid questions about life as a SWO and anything else not aviation related [mod dog wuz hərə]

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Its not the job that causes me to get spun up. I am just a natural.

Sir, I'm just playing around... it was not the spun up part that I was making fun of... it was moreso the "helping me relax." Just sounded kind of... ghey.

But again, all smiles. :)

CAMike

None
Contributor
I'll try to explain the SWO vs. "other warfare specialties" thing in relation to the thread topic. Most officers (DIVO, Department Head, XO and CO) in most warfare specialties WANT you to succeed. That said, there are always a few who for some selfish reason don't play well with others. Maybe it's a defective Type A personality thing, maybe their gene pool was tainted sometime in the past....it doesn't matter. I think the SWO community gets more negative attention in this regard as they tend to be in the limelight on the ship more often than say an aviator. A SWO has his/her hands in a lot of pots on the ship every minute of the day, so when something doesn't go well or breaks and your name is attached to it, you tend to get LOTS of attention. And when a DIVO gets negative attention, DH's get the same and XO's sometimes get the same from the CO- you get the concept.

A term that I hear often when discussing careers is "Your Mileage May Vary". I think it's a very applicable to initial SWO tours. In fact it applies equally to CIV life as much as MIL life. You will have good and bad bosses. Initial SWO sea tours are a process of learning the policies, procedures of the Navy and at the same time learning to fight and drive the ship. If you think about it for a minute, the curriculum is extremely broad in scope and challenging but somehow the majority do just fine.

OK I'll get back to the point- SWO's on ships have high visibility and are thus subject to higher levels of friendly fellow O jabbing. After months of this type of jabbing (which by the way I believe is totally acceptable and breaks up the monotony of being at sea) the perception among other warfare specialty types is that the SWO job sucks. Don't let the ones who say things like "SWO's Eat Their Young", "Friends Don't Let Friends go SWO" etc.. dissuade you from doing what YOU want to do in the Navy. The reality is that Navy Officers are generally a great buch of guys who WILL help you to succeed and WANT to have a good time while attempting to acheive that goal. Taken with a grain of salt -understand that the same "Tools" in CIV life also exist in the Navy, its just reality.

Your inital sea tour should be hard work during working hours and extremely fun while ashore/not working. of course your mileage will vary with the various DH/XO/CO factors.

PRINCEJUDE

I am a prior enlisted with 10 years of experience in Naval Aviation. At the time I applied for OCS, my first choice was AMDO, 2ND SUPPLY, 3RD SWO. I was selected for SWO. Although, it was not what I wanted but I will make the best out of it. I am to report to OCS next month. I have read a lot about SWO's job and do not think that it is that bad. So...stop crying!!! It is alright.

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
Sir, I'm just playing around... it was not the spun up part that I was making fun of... it was moreso the "helping me relax." Just sounded kind of... ghey.

But again, all smiles. :)

No worries. No offense taken. Thanks for the sir:D

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
I never called the Bull 'sir', and thankfully was not assigned as the jorg. My OCS date was ahead of the ROTC and academy by a few months thus making me the most experienced Ensign. At least thats how they did it.

BigRed389

None
So in SWO-land, does the Bull make the other Ensigns call him sir? That is SWO-tivating! :D

Every ship takes Bull/JORG more or less seriously, but that would be ridiculous.

The only time I salute JGs is after another ENS makes JG, just to remind them they're now assholes.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Every ship takes Bull/JORG more or less seriously, but that would be ridiculous.

The only time I salute JGs is after another ENS makes JG, just to remind them they're now assholes.

I was completely joking. However, I was making fun of the fact that in SWO-land, this could ever, even in some alternate universe, actually happen. you don't salute 1 up or down in JO land. Nuff said.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was completely joking. However, I was making fun of the fact that in SWO-land, this could ever, even in some alternate universe, actually happen. you don't salute 1 up or down in JO land. Nuff said.

I caution you this may work within fleet Navy aviation squadrons, but I wouldn't do this to an IP during flight school, and I don't think this will work in the USMC. The O2 to O3 shift is something quite different than in the Navy. I say that having gone to a USMC FRS, but I haven't seen it in the fleet. USMC folks?