• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Really stupid questions about life as a SWO and anything else not aviation related [mod dog wuz hərə]

Beefalo

Why is the cutoff for commissioning for SWO OCS 31 for priors and 28 for STA-21? I dont think there is a difference in the pipeline once you are commissioned so I dont know why the difference.

GreenLantern330

As a SWO, is there any qualification or any test of the sort that deals with getting OC sprayed? I remember a while ago I was getting a tour of a cruiser and an officer was telling us how he had to get OC sprayed at one point for a qual but I can't remember if he was a SWO or not.

BigRed389

None
As a SWO, is there any qualification or any test of the sort that deals with getting OC sprayed? I remember a while ago I was getting a tour of a cruiser and an officer was telling us how he had to get OC sprayed at one point for a qual but I can't remember if he was a SWO or not.

Yeah, the basic sentry qual.

Which is technically prerequisite to becoming an Inport OOD.

Probably not the dumbest thing we do, but definitely up there.

P-swizzle

Pirate
You're not enlisted as a SWO, so there's no "A-school."

You will go to "mini-SWOS" aka "Baby SWOS." More recent OCS'ers can give the gouge on where that is held...last I heard was they were going to their ships, then going to Baby SWOS taught at the base where their ship is stationed at. And again, last I heard, it was 3 weeks. My info is dated by about a year now though.

Don't forget the full SWOS once you are OOD Qualified :)

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
Are DESRON staff jobs competitive? Dudes who work for CAG staffs end up there through a competitive process of elimination or "by name" request - what's the story with the folks working for DESRONs?

GreenLantern330

I know that for Supply Officers they can get a SWO pin. Are there any differences between regular SWO quals and the Surface Warfare Supply pin quals?

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Yeah - SWO is meaningful. Suppo SWO is feel good - "Oh look Mommie! I've got a pin on my chest!".

(Okay - now I'll sit back and wait for the mighty WarChops to start crying foul.)

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
Are DESRON staff jobs competitive? Dudes who work for CAG staffs end up there through a competitive process of elimination or "by name" request - what's the story with the folks working for DESRONs?

In my experience on a DESRON staff, it was pretty much the land of misfit toys for SWOs. Most were either on their way out, or complete assclowns.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor

When I did a CARGRU tour the DESRON helo guy was a FOS'd for O-5 HS guy.
Never, say never, but most DESRON helo reps are not the fast track guys in their community

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
When I did a CARGRU tour the DESRON helo guy was a FOS'd for O-5 HS guy.
Never, say never, but most DESRON helo reps are not the fast track guys in their community

How long ago was that? Lately, DESRON HEC is a disassociated tour.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
How long ago was that? Lately, DESRON HEC is a disassociated tour.

2000-2001. When there were no HSL guys wanting the job, they needed a helo guy, this guy volunteered.
Funniest part was he was one of my old Dept Heads during my first tour and then he ends up Sort of working for me...