• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Real Estate Investing for Retirement

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
OP also fails to mention the need for serious back up capital if you are going to be a small scale real estate investor. Not only can it be tough to come up with that much cash, but then you basically have a lot of money sitting in a very low-yield situation because it needs to be extremely liquid so that if 3 of your 5 houses are empty for 5 months, you can afford the $15,000 of lost income.

Likewise, you need enough to cover expenses. As a servicemember, you are almost certainly going to need to use a property manager because you'll be in San Diego or Japan while your properties are in Florida and D.C. That's typically 10% off the top. And then there are repairs (says the girl who bought a new refrigerator and paid for a service call last month, for a property thousands of miles away)--another thing you need to make sure you have sufficient funds to cover.

So you now have all that money sitting in a savings account or rolling TBills or mutual funds, earning 2%, when, if you had other investments, you could be putting that money to work in much more efficient ways. So even if the properties are earning you a modest monthly profit, you have to subtract the lost opportunity cost of the money you need to hold in reserves if you are going to invest in rental properties. Suddenly the figures aren't quite as pretty.

Because if you don't have sufficient funds held in reserve, then it's pretty easy for you to end up like so many Americans, who thought real estate was just dandy when they were raking in 20% annual appreciation rates, but who suddenly cry poor and point fingers at the mean ol' banks who actually expect them to make good on their word to pay back loans, when they are no longer seeing their house values double and they can't rent for anywhere near the mortgage (never mind property taxes, insurance, HOAs, etc.) because every other person who can't afford his house is flooding the market with rentals.

I think the OP does a *huge* disservice to anyone considering this route because it glosses over or fails entirely to mention a lot of the potential shortfalls. I'm not against RE investing (currently own 2 properties and live in neither of them), but there is certainly a lot of risk. All it takes is for a place to sit empty for 6 months, or even for rental rats to fall and you 3 houses to suddenly get $400/mo less in rent, and you can be seriously screwed, especially if you aren't prepared for that. The OP sounds eerily similar to all the people 8 years ago singing the praises of the 5 year adjustable ARM. Get a mortgage for only $400/mo! For only $400, you can buy a house for $400,000 let it appreciate for 5 years, and sell for $550,000 before the adjustable period even expires! It's easy money! You'd be crazy not to do this! 20 year fixed rates are for suckers--it's throwing away money! And we all know how that turned out.

Moc1Sig

pilot
Contributor
Like the real estate discussed above, the options are also a great way to leverage investments with minimal risk if done smartly. They are not hard to use, but if you try to jump in with little to no knowledge you will get burned by the pros. I have used options in situations where I could not afford 100 shares of a given stock. For example when apple was trading at 280 I could not afford $28000 for 100 shares, but I could afford the option contract to control 100 shares for the next 3 months. The contract was worth 6k. When apple went to 300 the contract was worth roughly 8K. That was a 33% return on 6k in a short period of time. If I would have used $28,000 to purchase 100 shares to achieve that same 2k return I would have only achieved a 7.1% return on my investment. The risk is that you are essentially controlling not owning 100 shares so if the stock goes down a dollar you could be losing 100 or more in value of the contract. This was a very simplistic explanation of how I used them, but I had a certain method to picking the correct contracts. I didn't seek out the cheapest contract, but I did seek out the contract that most closely mirrored the intrinsic value and price movement of the stock. If this stuff intrests you the CBOE website offers some free courses. Long story short, if you pick the wrong ones you can loose your shiry quickly.

^^ Touche ^^

To the OP: I majored in finance, took all the real estate classes and had a great big investment plan to buy investment properties, ect. while in flight school. Once I left OCS I decided to see how long it would be before i classed up and if I even had time to be in one place long enough to have a steady address to do all the paper work at.... I havn't lived anywhere longer than 3 months, and really just dealing with each new stucon, TDY, check-in, check-out, renewing car titles/ which state am I in? what are the rules for this here, oh you need more Navy paper work for that...? not a lot of time to keep up with a rental property, or think about finding a propety manager i'd trust (Oh yeah and FLIGHT SCHOOL with peers attriting around you).
Not saying flight school is "hard" or "easy," but it is a bigger priority to me for the next aprox. year..ect. and I have had plenty of sucess tossing my extra change to some mutal funds and a few common stock investments, giving me a much higher return than any CD or TSP, with a fancy app to check how im doing waiting to brief, not my property maneger telling me the tenanat broke the toilet....

Just 2 cents, but if being a Naval Aviator is a bigger priority than 30 yr status quo I'd just focus on flight school while you're there.

Machine

Super *********
pilot
None
Site Admin
Talking about special constraints with the military...let's not forget article 134 of the UCMJ and the need to maintain a security clearance.

If you weren't in the military and you got upside-down on an investment, you'd be able to walk away -- a part of doing business. You do that in the military, and you could be subject to criminal and administrative action. That's a significant risk increase.

SWACQ

pilot
Contributor
Not necessarily. Good friend just went through his TS investigation with a bankruptcy. Bankruptcy doesn't sink you on your clearance, a non-reported bankruptcy does. The circumstances of how you went into bankruptcy are relevent as well.

Guy posted some info for us to read. Not a long time member here, but it wasn't his first post either. It was interesting and relevant to those who found it so. I know several Naval Aviators (and other military officers) who own numerous houses around the US. Most started before the market uptick that got everybody excited about real estate. Most of those guys are doing well. Most also started in flight school. Yes, it can be done. You don't go out and buy 10 houses in one year. You buy one house and live in it, then on next PCS decide to rent or sell it. That house you do buy needs to be a deal and in a decent neighborhood. Some homework and patience is required. Maybe this PCS you rent instead of buy because there aren't any deals. Maybe you are a student of history and decide not to buy because you see the market is peaking. Maybe you are a student of history and decide to buy 2 houses because you see the market has bottomed out. Come retirement time, you have 5-6-7 houses, each paid for, and each pulling in say $1200 a month in rent. Add that up. Buy in military towns, you'll always have renters. If you don't, drop the rent $50-100 because you're asking too much. If the BRAC shuts down the base where you own 4 houses, I guess you're fucked.