• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Reading Material

fighterpfeif

Get you hands on:

Hammer From Above Marine Air Combat Over Iraq
Shooter (about a Marine sniper in Iraq for the invasion, really good)
Thunder Run (Army I know, but it is just like Blackhawk Down, but in Baghdad)

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
NeoCortex said:
Boyd by Coram. Great Bio!!!
Good book but I get the feeling the author drank a little too much of the kool-aid when doing his research . . . it comes off as a biased account.

For those who want to explain the whole flight school thing to family or friends I recommend "To Be a U.S. Naval Aviator" by Jay Stout. Very current (2005) look at all the pipelines from API to wings. It's a little jet-centric but isn't as dated or melodramatic as this site's namesake.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
One of my personal favorites is "Over the Beach" by Zalin Grant. Great book on Naval Aviation of the USS Oriskany during 3 different deployments in Vietnam. It focuses on VF-162 and the 67 cruise more than anything. Good stuff. I would also recommend reading about FAC pilots during Vietnam. I truly believe their balls clanked when they walked. I have no titles being deployed right now. Try a search on the net and you will find it.

nugget81

pilot
Has anyone read "Fighter Combat: Tactics & Maneuvering" by Robert Shaw? I just picked that one up and was curious what others thought about it.

I'd recommend reading "Flags of Our Fathers" by James Bradley.