• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Re-designating at OCS (VERY IMPORTANT)

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
For those who get DQ'd while in OCS and are expecting to redesignate, for example Pilot to INTEL/SWO/etc., don't count on it. Big Navy is stopping this and more than likely you will be sent home if you're not medically qualified for your original designator. When someone redesignates to another community, INTEL for example, it takes away that spot from yearly goals and to those who want to be INTEL officers from the get-go. It also requires NRC to adjust the numbers/quotas for the year.

Of course if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask!

MGoBrew11

pilot
Wow, that's a game changer. Hopefully they can let aviation guys know a little sooner if that's the case. Most of is didn't find out until the week of graduation if they were going to clear us. That was stressful enough, but it was slightly comforting to know we would at least commission as something.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Yeah, that's a bummer. They wouldn't even let you go SWO?
What if you got DQ'ed, then went home and submitted another application for a different designator? They should have some kind of recourse for people who just want to serve, regardless of which designator.

PrudasJiest

Haze Gray
Well that's just terrifying.

does it change anything at all if you were pro-rec for another designator (say, SWO) and took the final select for aviation?

exNavyOffRec

For those who get DQ'd while in OCS and are expecting to redesignate, for example Pilot to INTEL/SWO/etc., don't count on it. Big Navy is stopping this and more than likely you will be sent home if you're not medically qualified for your original designator. When someone redesignates to another community, INTEL for example, it takes away that spot from yearly goals and to those who want to be INTEL officers from the get-go. It also requires NRC to adjust the numbers/quotas for the year.

I hope they look at people in a new light that were dropped from OCS and then reapply for a different designator because of this, in the past if you were dropped from OCS it was essentially impossible to get another chance.

Is this across the board or is it more on a case-by-case basis?

For example, if someone was prior-enlisted as an IS or CT, would this assist in the chances of re-designating to INTEL or IW?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Is this across the board or is it more on a case-by-case basis?

For example, if someone was prior-enlisted as an IS or CT, would this assist in the chances of re-designating to INTEL or IW?

Based off prior service, it's a possibility. But let's say you were a SNA with a 2.8 GPA in poli sci. If you get DQ'd more than likely you're going home.

exNavyOffRec

Based off prior service, it's a possibility. But let's say you were a SNA with a 2.8 GPA in poli sci. If you get DQ'd more than likely you're going home.

Sounds like those with tech degrees and higher GPA's are going to be viewed as more versatile in a DQ situation.

BLUF: Are the majority of the people being DQ'd at OCS based on issues other than those previously scrutinized by MEPS & NAMI?

If someone submits all required paperwork (2807, 2808, & other supporting docs) to NAMI and receives a green light (PQ) prior to application, is it correct to assume that they should be safe? -- barring the discovery of an attempt to omit disqualifying conditions or a newly developed disqualifying condition?

I assume that the relatively new requirement to be medically cleared prior to submission for SNA/NFO was meant to limit the number of people being DQ'd at OCS, as their records should already be screened for historical issues that would warrant a DQ.

CTFly1

Well... we all know getting selected is difficult in the first place. I think it's fair to say that anyone with a realistic chance of being picked up hasn't only put in a significant effort to put together a strong package, but has also striven to do well in the Navy/life/school prior to ever starting the application. So, I guess this is just another thing to push through. As much as failure wasn't an option before, it's less of one now. Saddle up!

CTFly1

I completed a full long-form flight physical which was reflected in the medical documentation with m package. Having completed the long form, if I were selected for SNA or NFO... would you think that I could relax about the process at OCS, or no?

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
If someone submits all required paperwork (2807, 2808, & other supporting docs) to NAMI and receives a green light (PQ) prior to application, is it correct to assume that they should be safe?
Unfortunately, no. People get DQ'ed at OCS, and some even later than that (I've heard of a few get DQ'ed during API and stashed there while they wait to either separate or re-designate).

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
Well this just takes the whole "naval officer first" thing and flushes it down the toilet, doesn't it? After the NAMI whammies were doled out we were told that we were there to be officers first and that we should redesignate. Most of us did. I love intel so far. I can't believe that there is this sudden reversal in policy.

This is just a great way to take a problem that is bad (redesignation) and make it much worse. How much money will this waste? My class had four of ten pilots lose their spots (almost five), three of us redesignated and one is headed home. The class after me lost about ten percent of their entire class to NPQs (all redesignated). I'll only feel good about this if they start giving flight physicals up front before you get your FS. Or at least take anyone who needed any waivers at MEPS aside and giving those people a flight physical/NAMI letter sorted before they go.

Also, the recruiting angle:
"Well, I asked my recruiter/the people on AirWarriors what would happen if I didn't get this waiver..."
Navy: You'll quit your job, and pack up your life. We will send you to OCS, and give you a physical on day one with some follow on appointments in the first few weeks. Then when you get your NAMI letter the week of graduation NPQing you for an issue that we knew about from the git-go, you get sent packing with nothing to show for what you did.
Unless you are some kind of rock star and an intel kid DORed last week, you're screwed.
AF and Marines: Sorry, I just got the results back and your flight physical didn't go well. Let's talk about non-aviation jobs/a ground contract.

I get the money/numbers issue. But now we are just treating people with dreams and good intentions like they are disposable. That isn't "taking care of your people."

ricks61885

Ricks61885
I completed a full long-form flight physical which was reflected in the medical documentation with m package. Having completed the long form, if I were selected for SNA or NFO... would you think that I could relax about the process at OCS, or no?

How were you able to do the "long form?" I was just asked to do the basic physical at MEPS.