• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Ratio/Score

Rectrix

I'm not even going to get into the entire NSS calculation because it's been beaten to death and will continue to be until.... well until there are no longer naval aviators (god forbid). I heard a "rumor" that the box labeled "Score" on an Aviation Tracking Summary represented your position respective to the top of the bell curve for that evolution. I.e. 1 is average, more than 1 is better than average and less than 1 is.... well, you get the idea. Is there any truth to this? There are all sorts of numbers on those things, but quite frankly it is Greek to me. After a through post flight beating, it would be slightly comforting to know that I'm still above the average.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
When I was going through, you could always check up on your weekly projected NSS if you wanted. That was my way of verifying that I was on track, though I didn't do it nearly that much

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
I'm not even going to get into the entire NSS calculation because it's been beaten to death and will continue to be until.... well until there are no longer naval aviators (god forbid). I heard a "rumor" that the box labeled "Score" on an Aviation Tracking Summary represented your position respective to the top of the bell curve for that evolution. I.e. 1 is average, more than 1 is better than average and less than 1 is.... well, you get the idea. Is there any truth to this? There are all sorts of numbers on those things, but quite frankly it is Greek to me. After a through post flight beating, it would be slightly comforting to know that I'm still above the average.

Truth...sort of.

A 1.00 is MIF, but MIF doesn't translate to a 50 NSS.

BigJeffray

Sans Remorse
pilot
Ask your flight leader when you do jacket reviews. Also, StuCon may have it readily available (even if you're told they can't give it out, they usually do). This is all dependent on your squadron of course.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
The old gouge that I read (that held true for everyone I talked to t-34 wise) was that a 1.15 was roughly a 50 nss.

MIF isn't even passing, is it?
Making MIF was meeting the standard for the block. That says nothing about how you rank amongst your peers which is what NSS does. So basically, MIF gives you a standard to attain and then NSS makes it pointless. I'll bet there are IPs and moto-studs who can render an opinion about it, but I didn't do MPTS in advanced so I'm a little too removed to have an opinion any longer.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I too have no idea how MIF/MPTS in jet land works, but in primary, if you met MIF by the end of a block, you continued. It had no bearing on NSS, so you are correct in saying that meeting MIF =/= having a 50 or greater NSS. If by passing, you mean that, then yes. If by passing you mean literally not attriting from the VT's, then MIF is passing.

pharaelga

Constantly lost in the sauce....
From my understanding of it tho.... making only MIF through the entire course of training = getting booted from the program.

jtmedli

pilot
I too have no idea how MIF/MPTS in jet land works, but in primary, if you met MIF by the end of a block, you continued. It had no bearing on NSS, so you are correct in saying that meeting MIF =/= having a 50 or greater NSS. If by passing, you mean that, then yes. If by passing you mean literally not attriting from the VT's, then MIF is passing.

Oh the double entendre...You wont attrite right away from Primary by just making MIF, but you will attrite by the end because you probably wont have a 35 NSS when you're done.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Is 35 NSS min required for winging in all pipelines, or just TH? I swear I heard stories when I was in primary about certain folks getting wings into P-3's with like 20 NSS and such.

Pags

N/A
pilot
When I went through the HTs a sub 35 NSS resulted in a "super check ride" with some of your higher ups; usually the CO or XO. But, this was back in the days, no clue what the standard is now. Squorch?

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Damn straight.

Here's the skinny on the ratio: If you get MIF'd out, you get a 1. Get MIF and one below MIF, a 0.99 or the like, and the opposite is true for above MIF. MIF is low and graded in only a few places throughout flight school, so making money by learning quickly is the key, since most everyone makes MIF on upper stage blocks where MIF is a 4.

Here's the standard (*cough*) on sub-35 NSS: If you finish a stage with a sub-35 NSS, you're subject to a Special Progress Check - basically an FPC in whatever block you happen to be in. This also happens if you get 5 UNSATs a phase of training (primary or advanced). Vance is different - you can get 8 there.

This is all covered in CNATRANOTE 1500. I think there's a Change 1 to this instruction, but I can't find it - your STUCON should produce it on demand, since it does affect your training a little bit.

But what does this mean in the real world? 5 UNSATs will trigger the SPC. Marine sub-35 NSS has to be approved for winging by your specific MATSG - think going to interview the MATSG CO in your chucks and prove that you belong in Marine Aviation. There is no guarantee that Marines with <35 NSS will wing, and I've seen studs finish the program and thanked for their interest in Marine Air. I have yet to see a sub-35 NSS without 5 UNSATs on the Navy side negatively affect a student, either for winging or for moving on from primary. This includes a recent 22 NSS winger and multiple sub-30 NSS arrivals from primary. (For comparison, if you have a 35 or below, you're in the bottom 6.7% of Naval Aviation. Below 30 and that drops to 2.2%.)

So to answer the original question: there's a nominal requirement. More so on the Marine side. This does not apply to USCG or Allied students whatsoever.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
A 22 winger? I understand that the way it works (final NSS is only based off of completers) that SOMEBODY has to be at the bottom, but I'm not so sure I want them on my wing any time soon.

draad

Completer doesn't mean "pass". Completers attrite if they have a low NSS. A 50 NSS in my VT was around a 1.145ish. But realized that the whole 40-60 NSS range was 1.40-1.50 or so, the changes are pretty small. As someone said, you make your money at the BEGINNING of each block when MIF is low. A 4 when something's MIF is 3 is worth just as much as a 5 when MIF is 4. Additionally, a 5 on IGPs (which you can do to DEATH ) is worth just as much as a 5 on Landings or pattern work. If you're worried, memorize your EPs verbatim WITH Notes warning cautions and be able to spit them out faster than the average dude can read them (very doable) then you'll pick up a lot of 5's on EPs and even get the 5 in General Knowledge at lot of times as well. At the end of primary I looked at that summary sheet and over 40% of my 5's were from General Knowledge, EPs, and IGPs alone :)