• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Random OCS questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warlord

SNA Hopeful
how do you contact them?
does anyone know what the flight physical will involve?
i dont want to get through OCS as an SNA then get told i can't fly for some dumb reason i didn't know about.

CavemanOgg

When you go to NAMI on the second day is that a general physical or do they do the full aviation physical also if you are an SNA?

ordinary_guy

I just got the general inquiries number off of their website and called them. The operator down there directed me to opthalmology. I'm afraid that I threw away the number, however.

tali264

CavemanOgg said:
When you go to NAMI on the second day is that a general physical or do they do the full aviation physical also if you are an SNA?

They do an aviation physical. You'll be there most of the day getting eyes checked, ears checked, teeth looked at, anthros measured, X-ray of your chest done, blood work done, a general talk with a doc where they look at your reflexes and stuff. I'm sure I'm missing stuff....but that's most of it. So if you're good to go there.....then you're good to go for API. OCS grads go to medical and get an upchit the first day they are here and that's good until their birthday (when you have to go get another physical).

tali264

Warlord said:
Do they do any spinal x-rays? Or is it just the chest? Thanks for the info.!

I believe spine goes along with chest, but I couldn't tell you how far down they go.

EngineGirl

Sleepy Head
Random OCS questions.

I have 3 (so far) random OCS questions I'd like to ask:

1. I will be at OCS during Lent (a Christian season that some Christians celebrate). There are holidays that we celebrate on days other than Sunday (aka: Ash Wednesday, Maundy Thursday, etc.). Will we be allowed to go to services on days other than Sunday or not? (If it's not available, I'm not going to cause a stir about it, I'm just curious).

2. I saw that one of the classes that we take is Navigation. Is this terrestrial or celestrial navigation? Do we have to take bearings off of things (if T-Nav) or shoot stars (if C-Nav). I'm just wondering because I'm decent at T-Nav and taking bearings and making plots, but if it's C-Nav, I guess I need to practice shooting and plotting stars, asmiths, etc. because I'm not that great at it.

3. I know we are not allowed to bring outside reading material with us, but are we allowed to have a Bible/Torah and/or a Prayer book?

Thanks everyone for your hlep.

EngineGirl

sirenia

Sub Nuke's Wife
I don't know about the first two, but I know you are allowed to take a small book of prayer with you, bible or whatever else.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
1. If you're near the end of the program, last four or five weeks, they may let you go to these functions. The chaplin ran a bible study on wednesday nights when I was there, anyone could attend if they had nothing else going on (which you most likely will). I'd not count on getting time off on those days, but you can route a chit, it never hurts to ask.

2. Nav is terrestrial nav. Nobody does celestial nav anymore, unless they still teach it as SWOS. NFO's don't learn it anymore either.

3. There isn't a bible in every room. At least when i went through the guideons hadn't donated yet. If you brought your own bible i seriously doubt they'd take it from you. Seemed like most of the DI's were pretty christian when I was there and everybody seemed to respect religion. Now, we did have a guy who was wearing his Buddhist prayer beads at the shooting range and got into an argument with the class chief over it - don't be that guy/gal.

EngineGirl

Sleepy Head
I thought of another one!!

Ok, I've heard that if you are going to have an O-6 above at your OCS graduation, you have to make prior arrangements or let someone know. What exactly is it and how do we go about doing this? I'm wondering because I have a friend who is Captain in the Navy and she would like to come to my graduation.

Thanks Again!!

EngineGirl

Status
Not open for further replies.