• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Random OCS questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElPensador

Many, Many OCS Questions

Hi all. Short-time reader, first-time poster. A former NFO at my local officer recruiter station told me about the site. I've talked to an officer recruiter about OCS after I graduate (Spring 2005) and BDCP until then, but I still have a LOT of questions.

First off, I really (truly desperately) want to be a pilot or NFO, and if not, Intel. My recruiter told me that with my record, I have a good shot at being a pilot or NFO, and handed me some line about the Navy wanting more pilots starting in 2005. Could he possibly know that, or was he just baiting me to join?

Second, I think I'd rather be a pilot than NFO, but my vision would need correction (not a lot; it's only like 20/80). Assuming that I could make NA, would it be better to put NA as my first choice and then get PRK done, or get in the navy study to get PRK done, or what? Even if I never got PRK and stuck with NFO, I'd be very happy anyway. But I was reading in another thread (and this goes for my 3rd choice Intel as well) that you're less likely to get put into a program if it's not your first choice, because it might be seen as you not wanting it enough. If this is true, what should I put down as first choice, especially since I'd need PRK to be a NA?

Lastly, about the OCS app: what are they looking for? I have: a 3.4 (and rising) GPA, degree in Digital Media, but I have 5 years experience with IT, databases, and some programming as well. I go to school full-time and work a lot for a web firm, as well as for my school and I have freelance clients. I speak basic French and Spanish. I did Junior Achievement program in freshman year, and taught martial arts to kids for almost 2 years in High School. I have lots of extracurriculars from high school and college and awards too. Problem is, I heard they REALLY want 3.5 GPA and higher, and plus I have no prior flying experience, and I'm just now learning to swim. And with all this talk of high standards and low acceptance rates, I'm wondering if I should be sending out my resume to Nintendo or Unisys...

Sorry for the long post; I just have so many questions that usually only get partially answered by other posts or my recruiter. I really want to go Navy, preferably in flight, so I can do something important with my life that I'm passionate about, instead of making video games or something. And I guess it wouldn't be so bad to serve my country along the way.

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I can't answer your questions about what to pick first or what to do about PRK. From reading around on the site, I think you have to have had PRK a minimun of 6 months BEFORE you get selected to participate in the study. You can't get selected for NA and then go get PRK after - if you don't meet the visual requirements when you apply, you won't get picked up. At least that's the way I understand it. There's another recent post under the Marine OCS topic, something about a letter from NOMI. Read it.

Besides that, all I can say is that you'll never get accepted if you don't apply. I know it sounds like a cop-out, but think about it. If getting into the Navy is something you really, really want then you should definitely apply. It's just one of those things where you have to look at yourself and decide how badly you want in.

Spaces for your timeframe should be somewhat easier to get because you have so much time. I'd take a hard look at NFO since you know you don't make the cut for NA without PRK. If you decide you want NA then go for it. If you think you'd be equally satisfied with NFO then I'd go that route. It sucks, but you gotta decide for yourself what you really want.

If you want some info about NFO you might contact wink on this site. He's a current recruiter, former NFO. I'm pretty sure that he would be glad to answer any questions you may have.

Good luck.

ElPensador

Thanks, bcgeib. I'm definitely applying...scheduled to take the tests in a couple weeks, and I'm already working on the application so I can get that in ASAP. I just can't decide what order to put down for the choices (NA, NFO, or Intel), but I think maybe NFO might be a good first. From what I hear, any way going about getting PRK is a pain, and I saw some numbers in one of these threads that indicated that there are actually more NFO slots than NA. Oh well, we'll see. Either way, NA, NFO, or Intel, I want to be a navy officer more than anything.

Which brings up another question, if I get into BDCP and apply for OCS but don't get one of my 3 choices, do I still get accepted to OCS as some default choice, do I reapply, or do I become enlisted when I graduate from college?

austinfalnes

Two things:

http://navymedicine.med.navy.mil/PRK/refractive%5Fsurgery%5Finformation.htm

check out this site for info on PRK/LASIK..and all that Jazz..generally NOT a good idea to apply if you've already had the procedure done, unless you qualify for a waiver.

This link has all that information in a nice, easy to read chart.

http://usmilitary.about.com/library/milinfo/blnavylasereyesurgery.htm?terms=navy

The way I understand it, for BDCP your packet is sent before 3 boards, 1 for each choice. Mine were INTEL/SWO/CRYPTO. You'll hear a response from each one individually. My recruiter told me today that the SWO board didn't recommend me for BDCP, but reccommended that I re-apply for direct admission. I still haven't heard from the other 2.

The BDCP boards, and the general civilian boards are different. So if you're not picked up for any of your choices, you have to reapply, or you could go enlisted for a couple years, and then apply to OCS. It seems a number of enlisteds get in that way too.

I don't know how the reserve community works, but you could forseeably enter the reserves as a officer, (it MAY be less competitive, i don't know) and then somehow get an active duty assignment.

ordinary_guy

I'm slated for the July 17 OCS class as an SNFO, and I have some random questions:
1. What will happen to me if I fail my medical when I get there? I ask b/c my vision is pushing the limits for my designator. Is the Navy letting people redesignate?

2. If I'm injured, will I be rolled back to GTX (if that's the right acronym) or sent home?

Thanks

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
The only redesignation I'm aware of is SNA to SNFO. However, if they navy has a slot to fill and you're qualified, you might be able t o slide in there.

If injured, you will be rolled into GTX. Not a place you want to be, so avoid injury by showing up in shape. It's pretty hard to get attrited from Navy OCS.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Let me clarify, attrited is when they kick you out of OCS. Some people DOR, but hey, that's their decision. To give you an idea, of our graduating class of 54, only 37 were original members. The others rolled in from previous classes, we had one person roll back, and we had a few people DOR.

You have to be REALLY jacked up to get attrited, or "forced" DOR. To give you an idea, one of our class members was hopeless. He got a 27 on his 4th week RLP. He failed the retake, rolled, failed again with his new class. The reason being, he rolled into our class in the 2nd week, yet had been at OCS for 6 months. The DIs knew he was jacked up, and he didn't help his case with RLP. He DOR'd after his 3rd failure.

PAO?

Jacked up

I agree, you have to be pretty jacked up to get attrited. That is a big problem with OCS. There are some people who just don't belong there, but they still re-class them time and again. This is OFFICER candidate school, not junior high school. I think after 2 rols you should be gone. I understand that it costs money to train, but graduates are supposed to be leaders. Contrary to popular belief, there is more than just aviators at OCS...

I went through last year and saw some people get rolled once for RLP or PFT and then when they re-classed they did great, but it seemed like the same people stuck in GTX again and again. Scares me that they might be pushed through to commission. The DIs know who should be gone; who shouldn't commission. I wish they had more authority to attrite. They know what the hell they are doing. For Pete's sake, they are proffesional officer trainers!

ordinary_guy

Another quick question...although I'm sure that this topic gets beaten to death on this site.

I've searched the NAMI site and found that 8.00 diopters is the limit for SNFO's. The CNRC site says 6.00 for that and programs leading to a commission.

Which standard will I have to meet at the beginning of OCS? 6 or 8? Any reliable information would be appreciated.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
ordinary_guy said:
Another quick question...although I'm sure that this topic gets beaten to death on this site.

I've searched the NAMI site and found that 8.00 diopters is the limit for SNFO's. The CNRC site says 6.00 for that and programs leading to a commission.

Which standard will I have to meet at the beginning of OCS? 6 or 8? Any reliable information would be appreciated.

I noticed that too. When I was coming in (early 2002) I needed a waiver just to be in the navy because my diopters were 9.00, non-waiverable for NFO. I noticed CNRC says that 6.00 is the limit. Ask your recruiter, this could be something that changed, and I don't think it's addressed on the site.

ordinary_guy

Thanks guys.
I think that my recruiter (who, as far as this civilian can tell, is a superb officer) is using an old CNRC manual. Would I:
(A) Get in trouble if I were to contact NAMI and ask them?
(B) And be able to get a straight answer here.

Sorry to keep harping on this issue, but a lot hinges on it.

DairyCreamer

Well, if NOMI's own website is inaccurate (last updated 10/3/03), then I would be incredibly surprised.

I don't see why you would get into any trouble asking NOMI/NAMI personnell directly about vision requirements though.

~Nate

ordinary_guy said:
Thanks guys.
I think that my recruiter (who, as far as this civilian can tell, is a superb officer) is using an old CNRC manual. Would I:
(A) Get in trouble if I were to contact NAMI and ask them?
(B) And be able to get a straight answer here.

Sorry to keep harping on this issue, but a lot hinges on it.

contrail_dash

Hey guys, I've been emailing the NAMI guys frequently about my arm, they are very good at getting back to you with good info. Hell if you really have doubts, like I have, they offered to see me if I flew down there.

Also, its my experience that recruiters dont always have all the answers, some even told me that they didnt know and I should contact NAMI directly. Nothing wrong in doing that.

just my 2 cents

Status
Not open for further replies.