• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Random Griz Aviation Musings

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
This still surprises me. That’s a ton of money to patrol a power line. There are a number of power companies turning to UAVs to do the job.
First Energy for Duke - they had a lineman in the back that was actually mounting the towers to get a close detailed look. This was just north of Columbus Ohio and they were ending their day in Youngstown and then finishing their week in central Pennsylvania - that's a lot of flying in a 500! I'm sure it's not cheap.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I’ve read that a tornado hit the NMUSAF restoration hangar. A weather hit is a nightmare for every museum professional but a hit on your restoration facility makes for bad news.

ChuckMK23

pilot
I’ve read that a tornado hit the NMUSAF restoration hangar. A weather hit is a nightmare for every museum professional but a hit on your restoration facility makes for bad news.

Its not a pretty sight. Drove by on the way home today. That hangar is a major work center in the restoration flow. They do amazing work. Hopefully things will be cleaned up in short order.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Where is a safe place to go and ask? I was there today (my class went to check out the static displays) and I drove by a bunch of hangars. I'm happy to knock on doors, but I don't want to get in trouble if I'm not supposed to be there.
Are you actually in the Navy? If so, just stop by the quarter deck and talk to whoever has the duty. They can probably point you in the right direction. Also, I believe you can get pretty close to the approach on Oceana similar to Mayport so you can spend all day watching air traffic come in and out.

number9

Contributor
You're going to make a fine sked writer as a JO one day. OpsO's are always on the lookout for someone who can spell hangar correctly.
I'm also pretty good with Excel. Not "investment banking analyst" good, but still pretty good.

Are you actually in the Navy? If so, just stop by the quarter deck and talk to whoever has the duty. They can probably point you in the right direction. Also, I believe you can get pretty close to the approach on Oceana similar to Mayport so you can spend all day watching air traffic come in and out.
Yep, I'm in now, but this is the first real base I've been on. The only time I've stepped foot on a quarterdeck was at Newport for ODS -- in the Reserves I'm attached to an Army unit and we drill on (well, technically off) an Army base.

ChuckMK23

pilot
This still surprises me. That’s a ton of money to patrol a power line. There are a number of power companies turning to UAVs to do the job.
I think commercial helo operators are getting the message! Kaman's KARGO UAV platform has a launch customer with my old employer, PHI.

(vehicle shown is 1/2 scale mockup)

344871182_250855134114658_2676827276714849133_n.jpg

hlg6016

A/C Wings Here
Do yourself a favor and watch this on your big screen. Video is native 4k.

Confined area departures from Anaheim convention center...

It's a little funny watching the few that insist on ground taxiing to align to departure route.

I played that until the wifey yelled at me to shut it off (But you gotta picture shut up those flopters in a Filipina accent IYKYK)

Last edited:

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

Confined...ha!

It's a little funny watching the few that insist on ground taxiing to align to departure route.

I think it has to do with aligning with the Flight Director. It looks like the NOTAM has everyone on the same arrival or departure path, and the FD has to move them to the actual heli-pad to depart (other wise it's "off-airport"), so he's spinning them in the same direction (towards him) before clearing them to lift.

AIRMMCPORET

Plan “A” Retired
Do yourself a favor and watch this on your big screen. Video is native 4k.

Cool video.👍

Just can’t understand why my son didn’t want to be a helo pilot.

@Dontcallmegump