• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Random Griz Aviation Musings

number9

Contributor
I'm at Dam Neck Annex for about a month for training. Is there any way I can go check out the flight line at Oceana? I can see F/A-18s most afternoons from the window of my room, but would love to get a look up close. I looked on the installation's website but didn't see anything about tours - should I just reach out to the PAO and hope for the best?

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I'm at Dam Neck Annex for about a month for training. Is there any way I can go check out the flight line at Oceana? I can see F/A-18s most afternoons from the window of my room, but would love to get a look up close. I looked on the installation's website but didn't see anything about tours - should I just reach out to the PAO and hope for the best?
Maybe a fellow AW member will see this and reach out. As an individual, I doubt the PAO would bother.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
That's an HSL/HSM thing. HS always gave it the pedal wiggle. Can't say I remember issues with the Army/Sierra style wheel (not that it's better)

The wiggle was a HSL thing, as well, but I think it got stamped out at the RAG because it was breaking already bent pins. I wiggled initially as a JO but was eventually corrected by some DHs that I actually respected as to why not to do that (or at least, why the perception was to not do that...I have no proof either way).

Reactions: IKE

HSMPBR

Not a misfit toy
pilot
The wiggle was a HSL thing, as well, but I think it got stamped out at the RAG because it was breaking already bent pins. I wiggled initially as a JO but was eventually corrected by some DHs that I actually respected as to why not to do that (or at least, why the perception was to not do that...I have no proof either way).
I like to bounce to the cadence of the 2000s-hip-hop song of the day on the flight schedule

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Have you tried just driving on base? Maybe if you go ask the squadrons nicely, they'll give you a tour.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Nice paint job shown by @ChuckMK23 reminds me that I’m going to need some paint work soon.

Got up today for about a hour. The sun was bright but it is really cold, so the cockpit was quite chilly.

Doing some beach recon over Hampton Beach…

Snapshot_202310274_161000.jpeg

Practice auto at 7B3

Snapshot_202310274_161000.jpeg

Last edited:

number9

Contributor
Have you tried just driving on base? Maybe if you go ask the squadrons nicely, they'll give you a tour.
Where is a safe place to go and ask? I was there today (my class went to check out the static displays) and I drove by a bunch of hangars. I'm happy to knock on doors, but I don't want to get in trouble if I'm not supposed to be there.