• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Random Griz Aviation Musings

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Interesting year-in-review VLOG update from NAVAIR. Not to mention the host isn't half bad looking!

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
Interesting year-in-review VLOG update from NAVAIR. Not to mention the host isn't half bad looking!

I can totally see the editor choosing to start with an F-35 landing, then splicing in the MH-60R, getting bored and grumbling, "c'mon, land the thing already...", then giving up and cutting in another jet landing during final edit.

IKE's Soapbox Rant #117: there's no reason, especially during the day, that a helo can't be landed within a few seconds of crossing the CVN deck edge. This modern forward-right-forward-down, insert prolonged hover nonsense is ridiculous. It's really not hard to set the thing down, wheels in boxes, with one fluid motion. Just takes a little practice.

Also Chuck, allow me to beat Brett to the punch and say srsly? regarding the 80's style evaluation of the presenter.:D

ChuckMK23

pilot
I can totally see the editor choosing to start with an F-35 landing, then splicing in the MH-60R, getting bored and grumbling, "c'mon, land the thing already...", then giving up and cutting in another jet landing during final edit.

IKE's Soapbox Rant #117: there's no reason, especially during the day, that a helo can't be landed within a few seconds of crossing the CVN deck edge. This modern forward-right-forward-down, insert prolonged hover nonsense is ridiculous. It's really not hard to set the thing down, wheels in boxes, with one fluid motion. Just takes a little practice.

Also Chuck, allow me to beat Brett to the punch and say srsly? regarding the 80's style evaluation of the presenter.:D
Hey man, we all have our type 😛

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
The guy with the beard is one of the Diesel Brothers (or something like that) and has a TV show about truck modifications. Well, apparently that pays because he bought a surplus -60 and paid a small fortune getting it airworthy. Then, he went out and bought a Dolphin as he “cheap” helicopter! He has a ton of videos.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
An explorer thinks he found Amelia Earhart’s Lockheed Electra. It rests in 16,000 feet of water about 100 miles short of Howland Island. The images appear to show a twin-tail, twin-engine aircraft very much in the form of an Electra but it could also be a Mitsubishi G3M “Nell”. In any case, it is an exciting find for aviation history.

ChuckMK23

pilot
Heard there was a dynamic rollover mishap Tuesday at the HT's - one of the OLFs. It was a TH-57 and not one of the new aircraft. No word on the crew.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

ChuckMK23

pilot
I received a few hours in the right seat of the T-1A Jaybird during my NFO flight training in VT-4 Intermediate. That plane turns slow, and if you overbank, Bitchin' Betty will tell you "Bank Angle...Bank Angle". The T-39 was much more agile.

Looks like the AF is still using a modified T-1A to conduct CSO training.
There is a move afoot to move the T-1A out of service all together. No replacement exists and I believe the intent is to replace its use with a pure simulator syllabus for both pilot multi-engine transition training as well as CSO training. The concept is meeting with some resistance but ultimately budget dollars will do the talking. I've read that the new version of upt is sufficient that a pilot coming out of the T-6 can go directly into a tanker or transport aircraft and transition successfully with no intermediate platform needed to learn multi-engine fundamentals.