• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Random Griz Aviation Musings

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
One of the cooler logbook entries for me in general aviation was making a low approach to Kennedy space center.

You never know what you'll find lying around down there.

53455238526_5591677e3c_h.jpg

53455238531_ade0d53cbd_h.jpg

number9

Contributor
I quite enjoyed this Greyhound catapult launch video on YouTube.

One question I had: do Greyhound pilots ever fly Hawkeyes, and vice-versa? I assume that the type of flying is sufficiently different that the answer is "no", much in the same way that a Hornet pilot would not fly a Growler and vice-versa.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I quite enjoyed this Greyhound catapult launch video on YouTube.

One question I had: do Greyhound pilots ever fly Hawkeyes, and vice-versa? I assume that the type of flying is sufficiently different that the answer is "no", much in the same way that a Hornet pilot would not fly a Growler and vice-versa.
Your guess is wrong. Back in the day (90's), COD pilots went to "sea duty" in Hummer squadrons; this was prior to VRC squadrons becoming sea duty detachments.. I knew many VRC guys that did VAW tours.

Also, I know many Hornet pilots that went to fly Growlers for a tour...EWOs, no....Pilots, yes.

number9

Contributor
Your guess is wrong. Back in the day (90's), COD pilots went to "sea duty" in Hummer squadrons; this was prior to VRC squadrons becoming sea duty detachments.. I knew many VRC guys that did VAW tours.

Also, I know many Hornet pilots that went to fly Growlers for a tour...EWOs, no....Pilots, yes.
Thanks for correcting me!

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
3 hours? What are you doing that takes 3 hours? Isn’t it just a 3 & 3?
AF land is very different than Navy land! Continuity training matrixes are at the task level and all sorts of things happen if you don't complete these tasks in a 6 month window. And of course everything is tracked in the finest 2003 era system called PEX (that until recently only ran on Internet Explorer version 6). Missing tasks - even for wx and aircraft availability requires the unit Director of Training to issue a Memorandum for Record in your pilot training folder that goes all the way up to an O-6. Then it gets assigned to an IP (me) - we fly and then I certify the tasls are complete, the pilot can operate as PIC, and I certify and grade individual tasks. I suspect @Swanee and the other gold-silver transitions understand :)

Last edited:

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
AF land is very different than Navy land! Continuity training matrixes are at the task level and all sorts of things happen if you don't complete these tasks in a 6 month window. And of course everything is tracked in the finest 2003 era system called PEX (that until recently only ran on Internet Explorer version 6). Missing tasks - even for wx and aircraft availability requires the unit Director of Training to issue a Memorandum for Record in your pilot training folder that goes all the way up to an O-6. Then it gets assigned to an IP (me) - we fly and then I certify the tasls are complete, the pilot can operate as PIC, and I certify and grade individual tasks. I suspect @Swanee and the other gold-silver transitions understand :)
This is really silly and much to do about nothing. or maybe it’s just the way AF justifies and pays for the puddle jumpers? Dual controlled aircraft and you have to go fly a different plane to re-qual? You can’t just do a BITS flight with a fully qualified Pilot in your T/S/M?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
if you don't complete these tasks in a 6 month window.

Sounds like T&R. I think Frank was asking what the actual tasks are. I'd be curious how there can be substantially more tasks than an IPC (which is a pretty task-heavy grade card for the FAA). Are there additional CAP procedures that need to be done?

ChuckMK23

pilot
Sounds like T&R. I think Frank was asking what the actual tasks are. I'd be curious how there can be substantially more tasks than an IPC (which is a pretty task-heavy grade card for the FAA). Are there additional CAP procedures that need to be done?
Fair point - here's our training matrix from PEX - in this case mine. Some of these are defined training sorties. A VFR sortie for example requires: Steep turns at 45 and 60 degrees AOB, maneuvering during slow flight, power off and power on stalls, and simulated engine failure at altitude. INST and NAV sorties are similarly defined. a "CAP" sortie is doing SAR patterns (expanding square, creeping line, etc). You can figure out the task based stuff.

There is no operational reason other than our ability to operate the aircraft to move ourselves around and to demonstrate "leadership through airmanship" in our oversight of CAP (evaluating IPs and their STAN pilots and their training and STAN programs). We have about 20 active duty and reserve pilots; O-4s, 5, and a couple of O-6's who are assigned to us as part of their normal AF career progression - and the mighty Cessna 182 and 206 are coded as their AF duty aircraft while they are with us (30 months or so). They go back to their AF major weapon system (C-130, C-17, F-15, A-10, HH-60, etc) after they complete their tour here. Additionally we have about 25 GS-12 and GS-13 DAF civilians like me who are rated and coded as pilots in the big AF system. When we fly we don't use our FAA Airman Certificate but our AF orders. It's a great gig.

1705178320523.png

Last edited:

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Out of curisioty, what is "ANTI HIJACK" entail every two years? Knowing where the transponder is located and then knowing how to press 7-5-0-0?

Or is it an intercept profile?

ChuckMK23

pilot
Out of curisioty, what is "ANTI HIJACK" entail every two years? Knowing where the transponder is located and then knowing how to press 7-5-0-0?

Or is it an intercept profile?
It's CBT with slides on both. It's a Big Air Force requirement.