• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Random Griz Aviation Musings

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Went for a flying sauna here in the DC area. It was only a short flight, but when I landed I looked like I survived the Titanic submersible disaster and swam to the surface. No AC in the Griz-O-Copter sucks!

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Some fine video of VFR arrivals at EAA on Saturday. Gives some insight to the "controlled chaos". The mass Bonanza arrival is especially fun.

Your slow flight and short field game has to be right on! I spent some time coaching a couple of our club pilots (airline guys) on spot landings preparing for their trips in the 182 and 206 on Monday.

The videographers have really stepped up their game with 4k footage.

Great to have this on the living room TV in the background with morning coffee!

skybert

Skybert
Some fine video of VFR arrivals at EAA on Saturday. Gives some insight to the "controlled chaos". The mass Bonanza arrival is especially fun.

Your slow flight and short field game has to be right on! I spent some time coaching a couple of our club pilots (airline guys) on spot landings preparing for their trips in the 182 and 206 on Monday.

The videographers have really stepped up their game with 4k footage.

Great to have this on the living room TV in the background with morning coffee!

I’ll be there Tuesday

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I'm *not* at EAA this week because I am supporting an expeditionary airfield exercise getting CAP aircraft to help train up Army GCA operators doing PAR and ASR (no gyro) approaches (in the middle of nowhere) We get the mighty Cessna 206 to simulate helos and CAT B fixed wing down to CAT II mins! Pretty amazing gear and I was suprised that the "GCA" lives on - especially with the Army. Super portable and deployable and the Terpsters can turn an approach around amazingly fast. Wondering if Navy/Marines use the same thing - AN/TPN-31 (Air Traffic Navigation, Integration and Coordination System) - deployable by a single CH-47 or C-130. A far cry from my day.

1690312858142.png

EDIT - apparently there is a newer/cooler coming on line that's called the PAR-GCA/2020 that uses AESA - SO the demise of GCA in military aviation is indeed a myth!

Last edited: