• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Rafales to cruise on GHWB

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The story is using a pretty broad definition of "deploy." This sounds like your run of the mill French CQ cross-deck det, not a deployment.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Somewhat related, talked to a Brit LNO today who said that the Marine F-35 squadron deployment on their carriers will likely be a semi-permanent gig and not a one or two time thing.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
QE is a beautiful ship. If one has to deploy, that would be the way to go.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That sounds like it would be an awesome deal for the guys who get to do it but I’m sure USMC will find a way to make it shitty and dumber than hell.

I asked if they would be able to hit the bar and he expressed surprise that they might not, my response was "You don't know the Marine Corps that well".

2016-07-26-Strip_431_The_Suck_web.jpg

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I asked if they would be able to hit the bar and he expressed surprise that they might not, my response was "You don't know the Marine Corps that well".

When the Harrier guys went out on Illustrious for JTFX a few years ago, they followed the Brits’ drinking rules - in essence the same as ours ashore, 12 hours bottle to brief, etc - apparently without incident. ‘Chips and beer’ in the wardroom before dinner was a big hit.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
When the Harrier guys went out on Illustrious for JTFX a few years ago, they followed the Brits’ drinking rules - in essence the same as ours ashore, 12 hours bottle to brief, etc - apparently without incident. ‘Chips and beer’ in the wardroom before dinner was a big hit.

That sounds amazing. Want good ideas on how to improve retention?

In a similar vein, I recently saw a message that said Guam is increasing the minimum tobacco age to 21. Should go over well when ships pull in there. :rolleyes:

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That sounds amazing. Want good ideas on how to improve retention?
I fail to understand why we still follow a policy that was passed over 100 years ago by a temperance activist so he could virtue-signal to the bluenoses. Al Udied issues people three drinks a day on their CAC card, and the Brits and French have bars on their ships. All without the people stationed there re-enacting Animal House or Caligula. There's no damn good reason other than bureaucratic inertia why we can't allow people a drink or two following NATOPS rules underway. Treating adults like adults . . . what a concept!

Last edited:

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I fail to understand why we still follow a policy that was passed over 100 years ago by a temperance activist so he could virtue-signal to the bluenoses. Al Udied issues people three drinks a day on their CAC card, and the Brits and French have bars on their ships. All without the people stationed there re-enacting Animal House or Caligula. There's no damn good reason other than bureaucratic inertia why we can't allow people a drink or two following NATOPS rules underway. Treating adults like adults . . . what a concept!
As a counter argument, let’s say the ship experiences a major casualty that requires GQ and a significant DC effort from ships company - think Fitzgerald or McCain. As a CO, I wouldn’t want to face that kind of challenge when some non-trivial portion of my crew was under the influence. In Fitzgerald’s case, that could have meant the difference between losing the ship or not, and almost certainly would have increased the number of Sailors that didn’t make it out of that rapidly flooding berthing. Still worth it?

RadicalDude

Social Justice Warlord
As a counter argument, let’s say the ship experiences a major casualty that requires GQ and a significant DC effort from ships company - think Fitzgerald or McCain. As a CO, I wouldn’t want to face that kind of challenge when some non-trivial portion of my crew was under the influence. In Fitzgerald’s case, that could have meant the difference between losing the ship or not, and almost certainly would have increased the number of Sailors that didn’t make it out of that rapidly flooding berthing. Still worth it?
Counterpoint: a non-trivial portion of every ships crew already boozes underway. Still worth it?