• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Radio Work

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
(1) Think
(2) Squeeze
(3) Talk

Don't forget what you thought about in step 1. It has happened to me more than once that I was about to make a call, got distracted, then made the call and forgot what I was about to say.
*click*
"Uh... Seattle center, this is <C/S>...uh...how are you tonight?"
"<C/S>, Seattle, doing well, did you want to check in at 240?"
"Yeah, that sounds good, <C/S>"

I'm pretty sure he heard the snickering of my copilot and FE in the background.

If I ever get to the point where I don't flub up a call every now and again...well I'll be as old as A4's. :D

phrogpilot73

If I ever get to the point where I don't flub up a call every now and again...well I'll be as old as A4's. :D
I'm pretty sure that A4s would flub up a call every now and then. The difference is the "now" is alot further away from the "then" as it used to be ;)

ryanber

Alright...Newbie question here... I have read all of the posts on this thread and they are all very interesting...Great Job!
I am trying to get into the BDCP program right now and want to go pilot. I have virtually no flight XP. Would it be a good idea to get some flight time/lessons in instruments and/or radio talking. I know that you can probably get a good book out there in the civilian world for correct radio chatter. Anyone have any names of some of them? I don't have a ton of money so I can't get my private pilots license but seeing if it is advisable to atleast get some XP with Instruments and Radio. Thanks and keep up the good work, all.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
ryanbear.....let me be the first to tell you to....

USE THE FUCKING SEARCH FUNCTION

Your question has been discussed over and over again on the site.

Part of being an officer is using your....

INITIATIVE

If after you've done a thorough search and still have some unanswered questions, then post them with some sort of indication you have completed a search.

The members of this site are more than willing to help, but it gets really old when the same questions come up over and over again. Especially since the answers normally do not change.

Again...officers must have initiative as well as resourcefulness. We realize there are limits and help can be required, but we at least try to solve things ourselves first.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Part of being an officer is using your....

INITIATIVE.... we at least try to solve things ourselves first.

Caution: ... I had one newbie PM-"yell" at me for saying something similar about his inane post in a similar vein. Newbies CAN become vicious when aroused ... and then you will have to punish, humiliate, and degrade them. :eek::)

Reactions: Tom

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
Quote:
Originally Posted by bert
(1) Think
(2) Squeeze
(3) Talk......

That's the same procedure we used to meet girls at the bar in college ... :eek:

Somebody should have told you guys that when used with girls, step one is optional.

ATLien

Can I talk to you, Michael?
pilot
Alright...Newbie question here... I have read all of the posts on this thread and they are all very interesting...Great Job!
I am trying to get into the BDCP program right now and want to go pilot. I have virtually no flight XP. Would it be a good idea to get some flight time/lessons in instruments and/or radio talking. I know that you can probably get a good book out there in the civilian world for correct radio chatter. Anyone have any names of some of them? I don't have a ton of money so I can't get my private pilots license but seeing if it is advisable to atleast get some XP with Instruments and Radio. Thanks and keep up the good work, all.

There are streaming ATC comms on the net. I believe one is liveatc.com

Try listening to the busier agenices (JFK, BWI, etc.) and repeat back out loud things you hear. It worked for me.

ryanber

Thank you ATLien. I did see that before in this thread, but I do appreciate the information and the effort.
No comment for Hal...
I have been searching alot btw. Didn't think the obvious needed to be stated everytime, but oh well, guess some people want that. I for one do not. I just thought more ("useful") up-to-date advice would be available from those that just finished, or are in, Primary.

p.s...Sarcastic remarks (i.e. space fillers) not appreciated

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Alright...Newbie question here... .... correct radio chatter. ....I don't have a ton of money so I can't get my private pilots license but seeing if it is advisable to at least get some XP with Instruments and Radio....
One man's opinion: don't sweat it. :)

Why??? Because:

If you have what it takes ... previous "experience" will make no difference in NAVAIR.

If you don't have what it takes ... previous "experience" will make no difference in NAVAIR.

Good luck, in any case.

Just my $20 worth ...

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
No comment for Hal...
I have been searching alot btw. Didn't think the obvious needed to be stated everytime, but oh well, guess some people want that. I for one do not. I just thought more ("useful") up-to-date advice would be available from those that just finished, or are in, Primary.
Awww...I get it....your problem is not the obvious one of skipping the search function, it's reading comprehension. If you comprehended what you found during your searches, you would have realized that the question of whether or not to get some flight training prior to applying for SNA (or prior to starting training as a SNA if already accepted) has been asked and answered countless times. The answers don't change.

So instead of stating the obvious about using the search function I should have said

DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT. YOU CAN'T COMPREHEND IT ANYWAY. :banghead_

p.s...Sarcastic remarks (i.e. space fillers) not appreciated
Just so you know, the surest way to get a snide, sarcastic or otherwise assholish remark from someone in Naval aviation is to say you won't appreciate it. We just can't help it. :eek: :D

...... and then you will have to punish, humiliate, and degrade them. :eek::)
So how did I do? :icon_smil

BTW ryanber...I'm just messing with you now. Good luck with the application. :icon_zbee

Reactions: Tom