• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Racism in the Military

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I’d also support a nationwide effort to reform prisons. My experience is basically limited to NatGeo prison shows so I don’t have the exact answer but we need to do something to reduce recidivism. Education, job training, counseling, whatever.
It's going to take more than what goes on in prisons. We need to change what we as a society consider to be deserving of imprisonment. Decriminalizing MJ is a big step in the right direction for that. (Which is not to say we need to go full opposite and decriminalize all drugs.)

Thanks for the detailed and thoughtful post, @wink .

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I’d also support a nationwide effort to reform prisons. My experience is basically limited to NatGeo prison shows so I don’t have the exact answer but we need to do something to reduce recidivism. Education, job training, counseling, whatever.
Wrong focus. Prisons aren't the problem.

Being so much as arrested is a scarlet letter that will drastically limit someone's opportunities.

You'd need a law to suppress criminal records for employment.

exNavyOffRec

Wrong focus. Prisons aren't the problem.

Being so much as arrested is a scarlet letter that will drastically limit someone's opportunities.

You'd need a law to suppress criminal records for employment.

What about the guy that is convicted or embezzling money that applies to be an accountant, or a person that was convicted of sex crimes that applies for a job in a public school, or a person with a history of DUI's that applies to drive delivery trucks?

There is also that fact that states have public record laws so those would need to go away.

Jim123

pilot
Not just employment. Like to travel and want to get into one of those programs like TSA precheck, Nexus, Global Entry, etc.? No convictions. Cross the border like a regular person? Get ready for some fun if you get asked the "Have you ever been arrested?" question.

@exNavyOffRec and @HAL Pilot have absolutely valid points about certain crimes. Other circumstances, like the cluster F of the protester round-up in Dallas last week? I think a lot of those people are going to have a lot of unfair explaining to have to do in the future.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Not just employment. Like to travel and want to get into one of those programs like TSA precheck, Nexus, Global Entry, etc.? No convictions. Cross the border like a regular person? Get ready for some fun if you get asked the "Have you ever been arrested?" question.

@exNavyOffRec and @HAL Pilot have absolutely valid points about certain crimes. Other circumstances, like the cluster F of the protester round-up in Dallas last week? I think a lot of those people are going to have a lot of unfair explaining to have to do in the future.
What I saw reported was that protestors in Dallas were released without even checking for warrants.

Jim123

pilot
What I saw reported was that protestors in Dallas were released without even checking for warrants.
Glad to hear that, but I still worry about my fellow citizens in other cities.

(Sorta goes without saying but I'll re-emphasize it anyway, rioters ≠ protesters, but it's all too easy to sweep up all of them together.)

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I disagree. Doesn't a day care or school need to know if it is hiring a sex offender, someone who is violent or a murder? Shouldn't a business know if they are hiring a thief? Businesses have a right to know who they are hiring.
Let me rephrase: To solve the problem of recidivism, you'd have to suppress records. Most companies have blanket policies to not hire and/or to fire anyone who has any LEO interaction.

You could educate the next Dr. House in prison and it won't mean jack if no one will hire him.

That's the trade space

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
I think that the detail that is lost is that political and military leaders used to put allegiance to the states over the federal government. This value system didn't fully shift until the 20th century and WWI/II.

From a moral 'what do I do perspective,' Lee was faced with three choices:

1) Support the Union. This would abandon his values of allegiance to state over federal government.

2) Support the Confederacy, even though he understood the cause was dubious.

3) Resign his commission, which he viewed as an act of cowardice.

Thomas Jefferson used to refer to Virginia as 'my country.' We can't lose sight of this mentality when we analyze the decisions of civil war leaders to declare their allegiance. We also shouldn't lose sight of the rampid racism that existed in the north. Justice Clarence Thomas said the most racist place he ever lived was the northeast US. NY remains as one of the top 5 most segregated cities in America; it's broken up to [insert race/ethnicity/religion] neighborhoods.

This. I think a lot of people on here need to reread their history books.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Becasue it came up a couple time just wanted to point out again, there are national standards. There is state certification.

Also, there is a lot of cross pollenization. Lots of cops serve terms on task forces with various feds and other state agencies. Sort of graduate level work. And the graduate level courses come from tons a federal opportunities. Local cops go to Quantico for training all the time.

Quality candidates for hiring of police varies with the economy like anything else. Up until about 18 months ago it was very hard to get hired. Quality was no problem. Even now, most recruits in my neck of the woods have a college degree. And of course many are vets. In fact most recruits without a degree are prior military, their record of discipline, maturity and trainability make up for the degree by a long shot. Because local LE does not need the numbers the military does and there is no 4+ year contract, the quality of police recruits is pretty darn good.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
Along the lines of checking for warrants...when I took the Cincinnati Police civil service exam in the early 2000s, the Cincinnati Police were hauling several people out of the exam in cuffs. Being the ridiculously curious douchebag that I am, I raised my hand during the exam and quietly asked about it...and sure enough...there were individuals taking the Cincinnati Police civil service exam that had outstanding warrants.

NOTE: I did NOT have any outstanding warrants. ?

exNavyOffRec

Along the lines of checking for warrants...when I took the Cincinnati Police civil service exam in the early 2000s, the Cincinnati Police were hauling several people out of the exam in cuffs. Being the ridiculously curious douchebag that I am, I raised my hand during the exam and quietly asked about it...and sure enough...there were individuals taking the Cincinnati Police civil service exam that had outstanding warrants.

NOTE: I did NOT have any outstanding warrants. ?
A friend of mine moved up on the hiring list for a local agency as when the background check was done one of the applicants had in the past few years finished his sentence for trafficking cocaine.

exNavyOffRec

Let me rephrase: To solve the problem of recidivism, you'd have to suppress records. Most companies have blanket policies to not hire and/or to fire anyone who has any LEO interaction.

You could educate the next Dr. House in prison and it won't mean jack if no one will hire him.

That's the trade space

and the issue of records being public? anyone can look up anyone to see if they have a criminal record.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
A friend of mine moved up on the hiring list for a local agency as when the background check was done one of the applicants had in the past few years finished his sentence for trafficking cocaine.
LOL. ?

And sort of along those lines...when I was on patrol while transporting to the jail, I had a few arrested individuals express a high interest in becoming a Cincinnati Police Officer.

It sort of went like this...

Arrested individual: “You know, I think I’d be a great Cincinnati Police Officer...I have street smarts...I know what to look for out there. I think I should take the test!”

Officer mad dog: “Well...according to the computer gizmo here in the trusty patrol vehicle, you’ve got a record as big as Montana...BUT...you can’t win if you don’t play!”

Last edited: