• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Racism in the Military

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Easy now...sometimes heroes don’t wear capes. But they do win national championships and get statues while they’re still working there.

Nick_Saban_statue.jpg
X years from now:

That statue of a white multi-millionaire who profited off the work and concussions of predominantly persons of color who weren’t compensated for their sacrifices needs to go!

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
X years from now:

That statue of a white multi-millionaire who profited off the work and concussions of predominantly persons of color who weren’t compensated for their sacrifices needs to go!
You have no idea how close you are to accurately predicting the near future. Just ask this guy...

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You have no idea how close you are to accurately predicting the near future. Just ask this guy...

View attachment 26158

Yeah, not to point out the obvious but I don't think that case was about society's standards changing.

https://www.wionews.com/entertainme...mind-her-its-a-movement-for-the-blacks-303363

You might want to back off on the " POC " phrase. If Ellen can't use it, I doubt anyone can.

Wow, things have gotten serious if the Twitterverse is angry! :rolleyes:

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Every time the issue of Civil War monuments comes up, there’s a simple question I like to ask. If you were a white, fighting age male at the time, who would you have fought for? If the answer is anything other than “the state I lived in”, you’re almost certainly full of shit.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
Yeah, not to point out the obvious but I don't think that case was about society's standards changing.
I get it, but Joe didn’t grab any lads...he was more like Schultz in Hogan’s Heroes...he knows nothing...nothing!

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Every time the issue of Civil War monuments comes up, there’s a simple question I like to ask. If you were a white, fighting age male at the time, who would you have fought for? If the answer is anything other than “the state I lived in”, you’re almost certainly full of shit.

That question highlights the absurdity behind continuing to honor those folks, as they fought to ensure that white men were the only people to actually have a choice back then. Fortunately for our country they lost, unconditionally.

And I'm from Maryland, which had thousands fight in state regiments on both sides of the war.

So are you saying FT. Bragg was named for a Union hero?

Right up there with Cornwallis, Göring and Yamamoto.

taxi1

pilot
They should find the poor sap who had the least time in the military before dying of dysentery in camp, and name it after him.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor

Treetop Flyer

pilot
That question highlights the absurdity behind continuing to honor those folks, as they fought to ensure that white men were the only people to actually have a choice back then. Fortunately for our country they lost, unconditionally.

And I'm from Maryland, which had thousands fight in state regiments on both sides of the war.

Right up there with Cornwallis, Göring and Yamamoto.
The absurdity is applying modern viewpoints to something that happened in the nineteenth century. Not all monuments are equal. Was a Lee statue appropriate in Dallas? Probably not. In Richmond? Absolutely. He was a hero, a historic leader, and a decent man. Memorials to the war dead? Appropriate everywhere.

Tearing those statues down absolutely is destroying history, and perpetuating the inability to study and understand it. Furthermore, it has no upside.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
Memorials to the war dead? Appropriate everywhere.
Back when I taught my students would occasionally get excited and note, with the stern sureness of youth, that the German’s have no memorials for WWII soldiers. Of course they do, I told them...”Even Nazi mother’s get to mourn the loss of their sons.” This is just one of several all around the country.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The absurdity is applying modern viewpoints to something that happened in the nineteenth century. Not all monuments are equal. Was a Lee statue appropriate in Dallas? Probably not. In Richmond? Absolutely. He was a hero, a historic leader, and a decent man. Memorials to the war dead? Appropriate everywhere.

A hero to confederate citizens and their descendants, unfortunately for him I think it would be safe to say the majority of the citizens of Richmond don't see view him that way since he fought to keep their ancestors enslaved.

Tearing those statues down absolutely is destroying history, and perpetuating the inability to study and understand it. Furthermore, it has no upside.

Until we start burning history books and erasing the internets that ain't destroying history. Plenty of folks are remembered for good or ill statues or not.

The upside to it coming down? That the folks he fought to enslave will no longer have to tolerate seeing him honored as they go past his statue in the middle of downtown Richmond.