• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Quick question on going navy OCS

Greetings. I'm in my late 20s and haven't worked much. I graduated with a BA in History (3.62 GPA), and I was originally set to go to law school in 2020 but that didn't pan out and I froze solid for a few years. I'd like some structure and to be pushed a little bit. Weirdly enough, the most fun I had in quarantine was reading about logistical chains for Chinese armies in the Three Kingdoms period (100s-200s AD) and also Roman supply methods through the Mediterranean. I also read a bit of Alfred Thayer Mahan's Influence of Sea Power upon History, and all of Let the Sea Make a Noise (dealing with Russian/Spanish/British/American colonial projects in the Pacific) and found that interesting. Finally, I wrote an honors thesis on the British Empire for my undergrad, and reading about how their command of the seas allowed them to ship artillery anywhere in the world was really illuminating. Thus, I figure maybe being a supply officer could be a good way to make myself useful. I'm coming to this forum for pointers because I don't know any current or recent service members.

I spoke to an officer recruiter to see what the process would look like. They told me to take a practice OAR, get off of any disqualifying medications, produce any necessary medical records, and then get back to them.

Am I going to get dinged for my messed-up work history? I'm talking, like, I did some retail before and during quarantine, did some online SAT/ACT tutoring, and then I just stopped going outside or talking to people. I never used to be this way, but I just got really lazy, and then several years passed by. Anyway, it's not healthy, the clock is ticking, and I want to get my act together, so this seemed like a good avenue to try while I'm still young-ish. TIA

ETA: I also watched some YouTube videos about how American tanks in WW2 were largely designed to be transportable by sea/rail. And I think I watched something about the IJN's logistical capacity/how they maintained a seaborne empire until they didn't. Logistics is definitely interesting and I think it's an underrated element in understanding force projection.

Last edited:

exNavyOffRec

get off of any disqualifying medications, produce any necessary medical records, and then get back to them.
This concerns me as just getting off of disqualifying medications isn't something you just "do", if you are on any meds you need to consult with your doctor AND just because you aren't taking them doesn't mean you will get medical cleared. Many items for medical are "currently have or history of".

This concerns me as just getting off of disqualifying medications isn't something you just "do", if you are on any meds you need to consult with your doctor AND just because you aren't taking them doesn't mean you will get medical cleared. Many items for medical are "currently have or history of".
Sorry, allow me to clarify. I have to meet with my doctor and discontinue prescription of ADHD medication so long as they permit this. Won't be a health issue.

Very misleading title with your lengthy post…

What did your recruiter say when you asked them thus question?
They said to chill out and just take my OAR/college kids without any work at all get in all the time. I meant to ask if there was a way to find someone who'd actually done supply before so I could see what it's like from someone who's done it before.

exNavyOffRec

Sorry, allow me to clarify. I have to meet with my doctor and discontinue prescription of ADHD medication so long as they permit this. Won't be a health issue.

They said to chill out and just take my OAR/college kids without any work at all get in all the time. I meant to ask if there was a way to find someone who'd actually done supply before so I could see what it's like from someone who's done it before.
If you are on ADHD now and have been on it through college the odds are that you are going to have a long road to get cleared and have to be off the meds for a year before even starting the process.

If you are on ADHD now and have been on it through college the odds are that you are going to have a long road to get cleared and have to be off the meds for a year before even starting the process.
Noted. Have been on the stuff for a while, though on-and-off post-college. Recruiter said 6 months off meds. Do recruiters ever get things wrong?

taxi1

pilot
So what have you been doing? I ask as a future retiree who is considering long term unemployment.