• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Questions Becoming Pilot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Airborne

Hello,

I am new to the forums nad after reading some of the threads realize how oblivious I was. How many people usually apply for pilot slots (navy) and how many get them. Maybe someone has some type of stats on this. And what factors affect your chacnes, would having a pilots license already help?

Also, if one was to do something like ROTC and didn't recieve a place to be a pilot, do they have to be like a surface ship officer?

Thank you.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
I don't want to give you bad gouge on the first part of your question, so I will answer the second part.

With NROTC/USNA if you do not select or are not selected for aviation you will have to server as a surface warfare officer, submarine officer, Navy Seal, EOD. Those are your only options. Just to be clear, if you put in for aviation and don't get it, they are not going to send you SpecOps or SpecWar. Those are just the choice available to a mid when they select.

For the first part of your question you might want to call an NROTC unit and ask to speak to thier recruiting officer. That person should be able o give you solid, reliable info as far as the stats. Having a PP license will not aid you one bit in selecting pilot.

Airborne

Damn, is that of all NROTC mids or just scholarship mids. I want to be a naval aviator but would not be keen on a surface ship etc.
When you apply for OCS through a recruiter can you have flight school secured in your contract?

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
First off, you have to attain a scholarship or advanced standing in order to be commissioned. Second off, The amount of people accepted for SNA changes each commissioning cycle. When I commissioned, if you had a heartbeat and a degree, you stood a real good chance of getting SNA. Now the slots are a GREAT deal more competitive since there are not as many slots available. There is always the chance that you will not get SNA, (THE NAVY WILL NOT GUARANTEE IT) so before you sign up you need to make sure you can deal with being on a ship for a while if that is all that is available. You can always do a lat transfer after getting pinned on a ship.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
I commission in DEC. I am not even going to pretend I know how many they are going to select in that time frame. Or next frame for that matter, I am just saying that just becuase class "a" got this does not mean that class "b" will

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
To answer your question, yes you can get a guaranteed SNA slot with OCS. It is a litle harder, but if you are going to school look into BDCP. Its a great paycheck, guaranteed slot in whatever program you want and there is no ROTC drilling. BDCP is a good deal because the Navy can fill an SNA slot 3 years down the road. This good for you (you get what you want) and its good for the Navy.

Dave

ParrotHead

Would I have to be in the BDCP program to get an early job guarantee, or could I get one through a normal OCS application?

Status
Not open for further replies.